Marcus Garden Mini-Tour May 20, 2011

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
On a much to brief "gawk and buy" trip to Floribunda, I had the camera in hand and took a few pics of some of the inspirational palms Jeff is growing to perfection.

So here is just a short and sweat preview of some of the many I took in order to update the Encyclopedia.

1) One of my favs. Dransfieldia micrantha. Now finally seeding for Jeff.
2) The palm tentatively IDed as Dypsis hovomantsina by J. Dransfield. Don't miss the other palm that Jeff thinks may be D. hovomantsina HERE
3) The palm that came in as Dypsis sp. 'bef' among others. Two perfect clumps. A killer palm for smaller gardens, and growable in SoCal.
4) Some real knock outs - Angela and Hydriastele flabelatta. I was lucky enough to to talk Jeff out of one to take home.

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 259
1) Arguably the prettiest of the Raveneas. R. albicans. With a Dypsis sp. 'white' in the right foreground.
2) A group of the a palm Jeff purchased as Dypsis ambositrae. Will the real 'amba' please stand up.
3) The Dypsis sp. 'Dark Mealybug' - Jeff had another bigger one I missed snapping a pic of, but I did make note that it did not have a dark/black trunk like the Dypsis ovobonstira that some seem to think this is. D ovobonstira pics HERE
4) The "Blue Monster" Dypsis alone without scale.

Attachments

• DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 248
1) Velonia alba - a real stunner.
2) Velonia alba close up
3) The 'red form' of D. sp. 'Mealybug' or D. manajarensis
4) Close up of 'red form' - a seemingly much faster grower than the 'green form'

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0555.jpg
    DSC_0555.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 245
Moose Man,

I got 2 understory Dypsis (remotiflora, sp. St. Marie). A Dypsis macdonaldiana, D. hovomanstina, D. betafaka, Deckenia (free), 2 C. ophiopellis, Hydrastele flabelatta, Dypsis sp. Jurrasic Park (maybe tokorivina), Dypsis 'laffa' dwarf saintlucei, and two nice trees - brownea and saraca. Most everything as 5 gal.

And being the guy that Jeff is, when he found out these were a birthday present to myself, he picked up the tab for Angela and me at dinner. And I know it was more than the total invoice amount, so much less than any profit he realized. What a guy.

Dean very cool! :cool:

Some of my nicest plants in my garden were gifts. I have also made nice gifts to others. Spreading the love makes both giver and receiver feel good. :)

Moose Man,

I got 2 understory Dypsis (remotiflora, sp. St. Marie). A Dypsis macdonaldiana, D. hovomanstina, D. betafaka, Deckenia (free), 2 C. ophiopellis, Hydrastele flabelatta, Dypsis sp. Jurrasic Park (maybe tokorivina), Dypsis 'laffa' dwarf saintlucei, and two nice trees - brownea and saraca. Most everything as 5 gal.

And being the guy that Jeff is, when he found out these were a birthday present to myself, he picked up the tab for Angela and me at dinner. And I know it was more than the total invoice amount, so much less than any profit he realized. What a guy.

Mighty Fine photos of some very nice palms Dean thanks for sharing.
Dean the Dypsis sp Red mealy bug looks like what I have as Dypsis malcomberi. Do you think that it may be the same plant? Does Jeff remember what his larger D malcomberi looked like as juviniles?.
Its kinda a long question but I think you know what I mean.

Mighty Fine photos of some very nice palms Dean thanks for sharing.
Dean the Dypsis sp Red mealy bug looks like what I have as Dypsis malcomberi. Do you think that it may be the same plant? Does Jeff remember what his larger D malcomberi looked like as juviniles?.
Its kinda a long question but I think you know what I mean.

The answer will have to remain another one of those Dypsteries. Because there are apparently several palms that have come in as D. malcomberi, it is impossible to answer.

Jeff has a large palm that he believes is the true D. malcomberi. I will have to look for a photo. There is one somewhere in his garden tour. And there is another palm that recently came in via Jerry Anderson that was labeled D. malcomberi. Or whether it is another palm altogether. And there is no telling what one you have, unless you post a pic.

But to try and answer anyway - IMO, Jeff has the true D. malcomberi. And it is not the Dark Mealybug, or is it Jerry's D. malcomberi. Let's see a pic of yours and maybe I can ID. I should be able to, because they look markedly different to me as juveniles.