Captain Gilbert Cutler

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
If you like crotons with huge leaves, this is one you might want to add to your garden. They hold up really well with cold weather too. This pic. was taken just recently. This variety could actually make a large statemnt because of it's size in the garden. Just love it!

Jeff

Attachments

• croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 020.jpg
    croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 020.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 120
Jeff - What you have there looks exactly like what I've been calling "Big Red" based on the picture on page 99.

Attachments

• big_red.jpg
    big_red.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 143
  • big_red_cu.jpg
    big_red_cu.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 111
Ricky,

I really don't think these two plants are the same. Not only the colors don't look right (minor issue), but my plant shows more of a "broad leaf shape" and yours looks more of a semi oak leaf. What do you think. When you have time, your more than welcome to come by the house and have a look.

Jeff

Yep, the leaf shape is different. The colors, though, are spot on identical to three of these I have growing in deep shade - green with the pink mid vein. Is the Captain listed in any publication?

I agree with your plant looking just like Big Red. But no, I can't find anything on Captain Gilbert Cutler. I looked in my Exotica books but so far, I haven't found anything.

Jeff

No idea on the source for the name but to add to the confusion. Ten years ago or so, I had a one time chance to take a lot of air layers from Sunken Gardens for the Croton Society. The CaptGC growing in full sun was called 'Almost Edison' due to its resemblance to Thomas Edison, a well-known variety. Growing in shade was this big-leaved croton for which no one knew the name. Under better growing conditions, that 'Almost Edison' was identical to the previously mentioned big-leaved one with no name. I have no recollection when I first heard the name Capt Gilbert Cutler.

Now if you visit Sunken Gardens today, the same crotons are still there under the same respective conditions. If you look at one and then at the other, almost anyone will say that they are two different varieties. Yes, it's that big of a difference.

No idea when the Capt GC's were planted at Sunken Gardens, but judging from the size, I'd guesstimate 20++ years.

If you look in one of our past news letters, there is an add from a old croton nursery from early 1900s it lists captain gilbert cutler as a variety.

Wonder why it wasn't in The Book.

Ricky,

I'm just speculating of course, but it's like when someone comes in and ask for a certain species of palm and I tell them I don't grow it. They ask why, and I say, well you can't grow every palm out there. So, maybe Frank Brown had to pick and choose what crotons he picked to put in his book.

Some more ...

Attachments

• AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler 3.jpg
    AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler 3.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 101
  • AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler 2.jpg
    AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler 2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 115
  • AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler.jpg
    AAB Capt. Gilbert Cutler.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 107
Updated photos on the Moose's Captain Gilbert Cutler. I think the Capt. really likes all the rain! :p

Attachments

• Capt. Gilbert Cutler.jpg
    Capt. Gilbert Cutler.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Capt. Gilbert Cutler B.JPG
    Capt. Gilbert Cutler B.JPG
    441.9 KB · Views: 92