Beautiful Thai Crotons

Croton Guru

Banned
15/12/10
[/attach][/attach] Being at one time or another I had most of the named American Crotons never bothered much with the Thai Version. Problem being hard at that time to obtain. Now thanks to my Old web site Croton Mania i have some contacts willing to trade. I think this year my next personal collection will be strickly thai's. Just cant beat there colors and leaf shapes, Simply Amazing. PHOTOS FROM DAVE HICKMANS COLLECTION

Attachments

• Picture_0157.jpg
    Picture_0157.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Picture_0159.jpg
    Picture_0159.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture_0160.jpg
    Picture_0160.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 95
From what I found personally and with talking with others, these Thai crotons hold up pretty well in pots for a while, but when transplanted into the ground, it's the beginning of the end to a slow death. I still have a couple at the house that are still living, but they don't exactly thrive.

Good luck collecting Thai crotons,I have to agree with you,their variety of colours and shapes cannot equaled over here.Of my 10 favorite crotons at least 8 of these are the Thai varieties

Croton guru please try those Thai varities,I hope it works out for you.You will have a willing market here if you can get these to survive here

From what I found personally and with talking with others, these Thai crotons hold up pretty well in pots for a while, but when transplanted into the ground, it's the beginning of the end to a slow death. I still have a couple at the house that are still living, but they don't exactly thrive.

From what I was told its the soil, These where in the ground for a year already. Mostly full sun planted very small lot of varieties do well in the ground

Picture_0897.jpg Picture_0900.jpg Picture_0901.jpg

Yes, would like to see an updated photo. I recall that Dave Hickman also had a lot of them in the ground. At that particular time, they appeared to be growing quite well for him in the Ft. Lauderdale (?) area. We all know what one night or one crappy winter can do.

Yes, would like to see an updated photo. I recall that Dave Hickman also had a lot of them in the ground. At that particular time, they appeared to be growing quite well for him in the Ft. Lauderdale (?) area. We all know what one night or one crappy winter can do.

Phil, that is Hickmans yard :)

Dave:
SECOND REQUEST! Please give us an updated picture of the Croton Garden.

This croton garden dosen't exist anymore. These plants (in the photo) were just recently planted at the time of the picture, and never really grew well from what I was told. They all started dieing off one by one.

Hope you wern't mislead in any way with the pictures.

This croton garden dosen't exist anymore. These plants (in the photo) were just recently planted at the time of the picture, and never really grew well from what I was told. They all started dieing off one by one.

More misguided information.

The garden was sold, They grew perfectly and sold from what i heard at a Fair price. One thing about Dave Hickman is this from knowing him and his 2 gardens is he had the Midas touch. I visited Dave alot we talked Crotons all day long, Never have I seen any dying off. He had 100's of beautiful crotons, Must of been his secret soil as he use to call it.
The post doesnt say the Life of Thai Crotons, Only Beautiful Thai Crotons. :) In them days if you wanted a Huge Beautiful Thai Croton dave was the man. To bad he moved on, To bigger and better things I suppose.

Another Example what can be grown if you know that your doing with Thai Crotons, Photo Below is Dave Hickman with 2 Beautiful Examples of what can be done with bare root cuttings from over seas.

dave hickman.jpg

The guys from Tropical World in Boynton Beach brought them in bare root by the container-load at the same time Dave Hickman got his. Might have been from the same batch. They were selling - in a 1-gallon can - for $25 back then. I bought 6 of them and still have 3 alive in the ground. They look sad, one trunk, no branches, half a dozen leaves at best. Not a good investment.

Another Example what can be grown if you know that your doing with Thai Crotons, Photo Below is Dave Hickman with 2 Beautiful Examples of what can be done with bare root cuttings from over seas.

View attachment 5925

Dave is a friend of mine, he came around several years ago( long before he dabbled in crotons) as a palm vendor at the local palm sales and was a fine grower. And not to take anything away from Dave, but my point is that I don't know of one person today that is having good success with growing Thai Hybrids in the ground.And I'm not talking about growing one plant in the ground through a summer. Thai crotons from cuttings shipped overseas can grow and achive beautiful growth as seen in the pictures of Dave's one gallon size plants in one summer. It's keeping them looking good and even to the point of staying alive when transplanted into the ground.

The thing about Thai Crotons is there hybridized to be small. 1 and 3 gal container size max, There very compact. This is the Asian Beauties, UnLike the American and European versions which grow tall and leggy if not groomed.
Mr. Hickman had Extremely good luck in the years of growing them and selling them at plant sales. Till this day there highly sought after, But finding someone like Dave Hickmans Plants he had is gonna be hard. I know I talk well of Dave, But proof is in the photos all grown and extremely beautiful. 100's of Plants in 1gal and 3gal containers. He had a beautful garden in Fort Lauderdale and then Moved to a larger Home in Plantation. Where he once again mastered the art of Growing Thai Crotons. below a photo of one in the ground growing rather well over the years.

Picture_0018.jpg

Croton guru ,you had mentioned the possibility of having some 1 gallon plants for sale in the next couple of months,will there be any Thai varieties??

Croton guru ,you had mentioned the possibility of having some 1 gallon plants for sale in the next couple of months,will there be any Thai varieties??

Good question I have a friend from Nong nooch tropical Gardens in Thailand whos always looking for American cuttings. maybe a trade of sorts can be worked out then i guess hunt down Dave Hickman for some growing ideas. Sure sounds like a good idea.

thanks,please let me know.I would love to get my hands on some of those varieties that you have been posting pics of :)

If someone is interested in putting an order together, I know a place that you can get rooted cuttings from, 3-6" long or even 10" long, but minimum order is 300$ usd. and you still have to pay for shipping. Maybe 3 of us can get in together.

PM me