Need a Name Please

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I saw this at Jungle Music in California the other day. Phil didn't know what it's name was, so I told him I knew just the group to ask. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 194
I thought it was Excellent as well, but notice on the new growth how the shoulders dip in toward the midvein; that's pretty typical Angelwing (is it one word or two, by the way?)

Here's Angelwing on top and Excellent (in full shade) below:

angel_wing_shade.gif

excellent.gif

The orignal pic looks more like Bravo to me - and that's after looking a what are supposed to be Bravo, Excellent, and Angel Wing here in the yard. I'd go odds of 75% Bravo and 25% Angel Wing - but it's also in CA with different growing conditions than FL.

Definetely not a plant for those that demand certainty in IDs.

Phil,

I have been growing Bravo's for over 20 years, but this is not one of them. I am not too certain like everyone else, but I would lean maybe to Excellent.

jeff

I'm proposing a new name.

How about "Uncertainty" :)

Why can't this be like palms, where we never have any disagreements over IDs. Right Jeff. :)

(Jeff, BTW - I'm trying to answer your PM, but I keep getting the message it's returned - something wrong with the email address????? And I couldn't return your phone call, cuz my phone doesn't do the number "thing." So, I'm not ignoring you. :))

That's why I gave up on Croton IDs, and why there appears to be so much disagreement.

If Dave is saying these two are the same, then I will never get it. Here's a comparison side by side.

Attachments

• sidebyside.jpg
    sidebyside.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 170
That's why I gave up on Croton IDs, and why there appears to be so much disagreement.

If Dave is saying these two are the same, then I will never get it. Here's a comparison side by side.

Im not 100% sure its very hard to Identify specially with photos but i have seen Rubens with bright leafs growing under different circumstances. Many years ago Idenitification process used only leaf shapes. Crotons take on many shapes and forms even though there the same plant very genetically unstable. My thinking that may be 1 reason for the multiple errors with the identification process. Crotons many times revert back to one of there host plants some more drastic than others, small occurrences happen like small leaf changes, color, veins ETC. Must understand Different Crotons pop up on a daily basis I dont think we will ever fully understand them. But collecting for the beauty is a start.