Crotons for Southern CA

bags

15/07/09
Hi all. I would really like to add some Crotons to my yard, but I am having trouble finding a lot of info on what species I can grow out doors here. I live in coastal southern CA zone 10B. Also if there are any croton sellers you can recommend I would appreciate it. Thanks, Aaron

Scott, is this a similar zone to what you are growing in?

I wish! Im a 9A :( growing zone. I Avg. a winter low 26f-33f at least once in the winter most years. Phil is growing in that zone over in St Pete I think.

Welcome Aaron! The Crotons like the air humid. Your temps may be great, but your air may be to dry. Are there any Crotons growing in your area?

Thanks Scott. I have not seen many, but I know a few are having success with them out doors. I have seen Mammy, Stop Light and a few others I have written down, but can't find right now. I found Mammy (I may be butchering this name) on ebay, but I am having trouble finding the others or much info on them. I have just started looking into them recently so any info is greatly appreciated. Is there a nursery that specializes in Crotons?

Aaron - I have seen you often on Palm Talk. Welcome to this forum. You will find everyone here extremely nice and helpful. :cool:

Florida has dry winters and wet humid summers. San Diego is the reverse. If you can keep your crotons in shade and keep them hydrated in the summer they should do well. A croton can withstand some drying out if it is a mature plant, probably more than 5 years old in So. Cal. Your main issue will be to keep them hydrated since the newly emergent leaves are very tender and will wilt and fall off if not enough water is available to the plant.

Ron. :)

Thanks Scott. I have not seen many, but I know a few are having success with them out doors. I have seen Mammy, Stop Light and a few others I have written down, but can't find right now. I found Mammy (I may be butchering this name) on ebay, but I am having trouble finding the others or much info on them. I have just started looking into them recently so any info is greatly appreciated. Is there a nursery that specializes in Crotons?

I have played around with rooting some of my Crotons this year, and have a few that I will be happy to share with you. I have had Crotons given to me, so I would also like to share.

I have played around with rooting some of my Crotons this year, and have a few that I will be happy to share with you. I have had Crotons given to me, so I would also like to share.

Aaron,

Scott's the bomb. You should take him up on that. Also, I was going to mention, keeping you eyes out for ones growing around town is a good way to get cultivars suited for your area. There are some tips here for rooting them. Some root readily and easily.

Thank you Scott. That is a very generous offer. I will PM you for further details. Aaron

Aaron - I have seen you often on Palm Talk. Welcome to this forum. You will find everyone here extremely nice and helpful. :cool:

Florida has dry winters and wet humid summers. San Diego is the reverse. If you can keep your crotons in shade and keep them hydrated in the summer they should do well. A croton can withstand some drying out if it is a mature plant, probably more than 5 years old in So. Cal. Your main issue will be to keep them hydrated since the newly emergent leaves are very tender and will wilt and fall off if not enough water is available to the plant.

Ron. :)

Thanks for the info Moose. I look forward to adding these to my yard. Aaron

Dean,
I will keep an eye out for sure. I have not seen many around. I am not sure if it is because most are hard to grow or people around here think of them as house plants. I am going to start planting what I can find and see how it goes. I will look for the tips on rooting them as well. Thanks, Aaron