Trials with Freeze Pruf

palmnerd

Here is a brief and very informal article on some initial results of my use of Freeze Pruf. Please feel free to add any results you may have with this product. I would like to have as much data about this product as it relates to palms before anyone rushes out to buy this product in hopes of preventing loss from freezing weather. Thanks -J
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/Trials_with_Freeze_Pruf

I can only add that I once used a product that I assume was similar. At least it professed to do the same thing.

In SoCal, I sprayed a few of my smaller prize palms, and about half of my 1000 small potted kentias before a freeze, until I ran out. I observed absolutely no difference that I could document was a result of having used it.

My conclusion is that its not worth the money. In those cases where I had two of the same species and sprayed one palm and not another it appears to have slowed down the damage from showing, but in the end both appear to have suffered the same amount damage. I tried it on other plants besides palms and the result I got was just similar to the palms. I also made sure to follow the instructions explicitly being careful to apply it according the manufactures label. My guess is that this probably buys you about 1-2deg tops. Not really worth it at $100 to make 3gal that does not go very far (you have to spray the top and bottom sides of the leaves).

If it sounds to good to be true......................................

BTW - I have this secret formula that will make you look and feel 10 years younger, and also give your car 10 more miles per gallon. Plus it can make you $1000-$10,000/mo. from your home. Sprinkle it on your palms and it triples their size, overnight.

I was hoping that by my blowing twenty something bucks on this stuff and doing a report on it's performance or lack of performance, that others wouldn't rush out to use stuff like this to help protect their plants. I will post more pics from the nursery this week to show what I believe to be damage from the product on various palms.
I will also test the freeze proof to see if it goes better with vermouth or tonic water. Stay tuned, I will find a use for this stuff.