Turkey's Foot?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I acquired this one as " Turkey's Foot". Recently I was told that "Turkey Foot" is not very common and I probably did not have a true cultivar. If this is not "Turkey's Foot" then what could it possibly be? :rolleyes: *****:confused:

Attachments

• Turkey's Foot.jpg
    Turkey's Foot.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Turkey's Foot2.jpg
    Turkey's Foot2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 180
The following pics are what I've been calling Turkey Foot. Leaves are about 9" long and add another inch or two for the petiole or stem; approx 9" across from side lobe tip to tip. It is not a common croton.

Attachments

• DSCN2166.jpg
    DSCN2166.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN2167.jpg
    DSCN2167.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN2168.jpg
    DSCN2168.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN2169.jpg
    DSCN2169.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 166
Zoinks!!! - Whatever it is called, the leaf shape is outstanding. :cool: That gem would be an outstanding addition to any collection. Phil - how fast is this cultivar and how much sun is needed? :confused: It looks as if it would do well in the sun. :rolleyes:

Ron.

I think Lee said the name of that plant is Quirko.

Quirko is the name that is used in Australia for a Croton that is similar or it may be the same plant. They also have something they are calling Turkey Foot that has a lot less color and much less veining.
We need to remember that they have quite a few Crotons that we do not have in the States and they are naming based on what they are exposed to...as we are. "Looks like" is always a safe way to name a Croton, unless we know for sure.

In either case, it is a great looking Croton, with an exceptional Oak Leaf!

Whatever one choses to call it, it is not a fast grower. It is growing in part sun with a Corot to the right of it. I can get one or at most two small air layers per year off of it. No idea where I got it either.

Phil, it grows pretty fast for me. I got my plant from you, this year I got 3 or 4
air-layers off my plant, and I could still get cuttings off it now. I have my plant
in more light than yours, maybe that is the trick. But by far it is the coolest plant
I have gotten from you.

Keith-

and it is also fighting the neighbor's &^%$#@! punk tree and some bamboo; lots of roots on the top 3" of the soil; just ransplanted some other crotons in the area and same problem with unwanted roots. Good to read it is a fast grower for you.

Moose Knuckle I wont be at the sale this weekend, but if your at the next croton
meeting, I will bring you a cutting. [ gave away spare air-layers already ]

Update on whatever I had growing that was sold to me as "Turkey's Foot"

It has matured since my original post, does anyone care to make an I.D. now? :(

Looked good a week after the cold weather and just started to melt down day by day. Maybe something may pop out from the roots. Probably not. :eek:

Attachments

• Croton 1.jpg
    Croton 1.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 167
Hmmm, the photo I posted ended up being a Geisha Girl. It has made a very slow comeback.

I bumped this thread since we have many new participants on the forum. Is anyone growing Turkey Foot ? :confused:

Does anyone have a photo to see it's true form ? :confused:

Keith - is Three Toes a sport from Turkey Foot ? :confused:

Three Toes and Pretty Bird are hybrids produced by Steve W. in Ft. Myers. He is no longer into crotons.