Clerodendrum quadriloculare

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Clerodendrum quadriloculare more commomly called "Starburst". The upper leaf surface is green, bottom is purple-ish. This time of year it blooms vigorously. Flowers are short lived but produces them profusely. :)

I prefer these planted just like a Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia), in someone elses garden. Nice to look at but not in mine. Some even consider this a bit of a nuisance plant as it tends to sucker often. :confused:

Attachments

• Clerodendrum quadriloculare 5.jpg
    Clerodendrum quadriloculare 5.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 1,247
  • Clerodendrum quadriloculare 6.jpg
    Clerodendrum quadriloculare 6.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 811
  • Clerodendrum quadriloculare 4.jpg
    Clerodendrum quadriloculare 4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 614
  • Clerodendrum quadriloculare 2.jpg
    Clerodendrum quadriloculare 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Clerodendrum quadriloculare.jpg
    Clerodendrum quadriloculare.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 751
I bought one mail order. Do they bloom in summer also? Being that my summer is about as warm as a Florida winter it can do funny thing to a plants cycle.

I bought one mail order. Do they bloom in summer also? Being that my summer is about as warm as a Florida winter it can do funny thing to a plants cycle.

Stan - I'm not sure. They began blooming in Winter here and many still have their blooms. We did have a very mild Winter. Looking at my older posts, looks like this is a Winter Blooming plant here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stan - not sure if temperature or the reduced daylight hours induce the flowering. I can only draw on the South Florida experience. They are grown in the more northerly areas of Florida. Not sure what cold tolerance is either. I suspect they don't enjoy frost, like many plants. If heavily mulched, I believe they would re-emerge from the roots if burn't to the ground by a heavy freeze. They are pretty tough survivors and with their fast growth rate, produce a nice looking plant during your growing season.

The old saying "you got to break a few eggs to bake a cake" may apply here.

IMG_1450.JPG
Here it is so far..to me, gives off a Coleus look. With no chance of it being invasive in the bay area. 80% of the year is a no rain period. That will kill off just about anything if not watered.

I have it in a pot. It did send up a few robust stems this summer. Sort of telling me it can get much larger in the right spot here.
It does have the weird habit of dropping all its leaves in mid summer....takes a couple of weeks to regrow. That was its first summer. We will see in summer no.2