PALMPEDIA PALMPEDIA PALMPEDIA PALMPEDIA
  1. NOTICE FOR GUESTS AND LURKERS
    To view full size photos and use the search feature, it is now necessary to sign up. In most cases, sign up is now immediate, fast, and easy - and then you can also use all the other features like Private Conversations, posting, following the topics that interest you, etc.

Clerodendrum quadriloculare

Discussion in 'BIG LEAF TROPICALS' started by Moose, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Moose

Moose Active Member

Clerodendrum quadriloculare more commomly called "Starburst". The upper leaf surface is green, bottom is purple-ish. This time of year it blooms vigorously. Flowers are short lived but produces them profusely. :)

I prefer these planted just like a Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia), in someone elses garden. Nice to look at but not in mine. Some even consider this a bit of a nuisance plant as it tends to sucker often. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Active Member

A couple of more ...

Attached Files:

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Nice tree - don't think I have seen it before.
  4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons New Member

A weed even here in central Florida.
  5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I did see it before at the nursery a couple of weeks ago and thought it was nice. I'm glad now I didn't buy it.
  6. andymaycen

andymaycen New Member

I have a nice variegated form of this...doesn't sucker so profusely. The regular form I've been trying to get rid of for 2 years!
  7. Moose

Moose Active Member

Andy - Its profuse in Florida. I can only imagine how established it can become in Hawaii. Perhaps repeated treatment of the leaves with round-up would help. :confused:
  8. Stan

Stan New Member

I bought one mail order. Do they bloom in summer also? Being that my summer is about as warm as a Florida winter it can do funny thing to a plants cycle.
  9. Moose

Moose Active Member

Stan - I'm not sure. The began blooming in Winter here and many still have their blooms. We did have a very mild Winter. Looking at my older posts, looks like this is a Winter Blooming plant here.