Clerodendrum quadriloculare

Discussion in 'BIG LEAF TROPICALS' started by Moose, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Clerodendrum quadriloculare more commomly called "Starburst". The upper leaf surface is green, bottom is purple-ish. This time of year it blooms vigorously. Flowers are short lived but produces them profusely. :)

I prefer these planted just like a Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia), in someone elses garden. Nice to look at but not in mine. Some even consider this a bit of a nuisance plant as it tends to sucker often. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A couple of more ...

Attached Files:

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Nice tree - don't think I have seen it before.
  4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

A weed even here in central Florida.
  5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I did see it before at the nursery a couple of weeks ago and thought it was nice. I'm glad now I didn't buy it.
  6. andymaycen

andymaycen Member

I have a nice variegated form of this...doesn't sucker so profusely. The regular form I've been trying to get rid of for 2 years!
  7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Andy - Its profuse in Florida. I can only imagine how established it can become in Hawaii. Perhaps repeated treatment of the leaves with round-up would help. :confused:
  8. Stan

Stan Member

I bought one mail order. Do they bloom in summer also? Being that my summer is about as warm as a Florida winter it can do funny thing to a plants cycle.
  9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stan - I'm not sure. They began blooming in Winter here and many still have their blooms. We did have a very mild Winter. Looking at my older posts, looks like this is a Winter Blooming plant here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  10. Stan

Stan Member

That's going to be problematic here. Thanks.
  11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stan - not sure if temperature or the reduced daylight hours induce the flowering. I can only draw on the South Florida experience. They are grown in the more northerly areas of Florida. Not sure what cold tolerance is either. I suspect they don't enjoy frost, like many plants. If heavily mulched, I believe they would re-emerge from the roots if burn't to the ground by a heavy freeze. They are pretty tough survivors and with their fast growth rate, produce a nice looking plant during your growing season.

The old saying "you got to break a few eggs to bake a cake" may apply here.
  12. I planted these in the frost hole of my back yard figuring they'd be annuals. The flowers are nice, but i really wanted the dark foliage. Now I wonder if I've planted an invasive with pretty leaves and flowers.