Search results

1. Keith Winter Haven FL

Welcome to Tropiscape

I'm learning how to use it with iPad. Very optimistic.
  2. Keith Winter Haven FL

Montgomery Botanical Center visit 12-5-2016

CFPACS made a big trip in December visiting both Montgomery Botanical Center and Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden. This thread has images not specifically targeting a plant species, but the garden as a whole. The first pic shows Dr PATRICK GRIFFITH demonstrating the holey nature of the...
  3. Keith Winter Haven FL

Hydriastele ramsayii in situ

Trying to understand that climate a bit. I understand It's wet-dry tropical, and it's really hot right befor the rains come (we have that in common). What I sense though is this area is so far north that there isn't much chill, much less frost. Superficially. It seems we have some things in...
  4. Keith Winter Haven FL

Hydriastele ramsayii in situ

oh those are nice! Are they growing near the L rigida ?
  5. Keith Winter Haven FL

Livistona rigida in situ

Fantastic? I wonder if they grow real slow in situ like they do in my yard? Well, the slowest one I have might be mariae, actually. I'm not sure of the quality of the identification. I should just order some seed from RPS so I know what they are!
  6. Keith Winter Haven FL

Cattleya orchid popped open...and a nice one at that

So this lady hung out in the live oak tree all winter. Poor thing was kind of forgotten...but look, it lived!
  7. Keith Winter Haven FL

Vandas, show us your Vandas. Here's one of ours.

Do you grow Vandas? Here in Central FL the mass merchant, Lowes has begun selling them! These hybrids are incredibly pretty and easy to get to re-bloom. We bring them inside when temps fall below 50 where they simply wait to go back outside. I don't think they would grow well inside for...
  8. Keith Winter Haven FL

Sabal mauritiformis Florida Institute of Technology March 5 2016

Here are two very nice specimens of Sabal mauritiformis at Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne FL. The older specimen has the clear trunk with a beautiful canopy. The younger plant looks like its going to be more robust. In this image, its surrounded by potted palms for sale by the...
  9. Keith Winter Haven FL

Sabal causarium...Melbourne FL

Here is a small grouping of Sabal causarium at FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) in Melbourne FL. These trees are mature, though they obviously still retain their boots and don't have much trunk height yet. We often talk about the ligules on this species as a key identifying feature so I...
  10. Keith Winter Haven FL

Hyphaene in Melbourne FL

A beautiful specimen of Hyphaene located at Florida Institute of technology. Dent Smith, the founder of the International Palm Society, was instrumental in planting palms at FIT. There is an arboretum on site and the trail is named in his honor. If you find yourself in the vicinity of...
  11. Keith Winter Haven FL

Kerriodoxa elegans

I will have to try this species once I have a sheltered spot.
  12. Keith Winter Haven FL

Copernicia baileyana

Oh man, 19 years. I will be ancient in 19 years. I'd have to buy a big one from Ken to appreciate it. Not to worry, it's too cold here anyway so I will enjoy yours vicariously!
  13. Keith Winter Haven FL

One of the Biggest I've Seen - Allagoptera arenaria

I have one in Jacksonville FL. I haven't seen it in 2 years, but it was covering the patio because I thought it was a slow grower. Whoops! It's roots are in mucky swampy soil but the top foot or so is nearly pure sand. It regularly flowers and sets fruit and seed. I've been quite surprised...
  14. Keith Winter Haven FL

Brahea? plus bonus palms.

I look forward to the B Clara pix, Stan. That's one we might be able to grow here. I have Brahea decumbens in the ground (for about a year), and it hasn't lost a leaf yet! We need more zone 9a hardy species here.
  15. Keith Winter Haven FL

Clerodendrum quadriloculare

Follow up. After a mild winter, I'm wondering if this is going to be a big ole invasive problem. We easily took a wheelbarrow load of suckers to the curb yesterday. It does form a nice screen though.
  16. Keith Winter Haven FL

Florida Thatch Palm (Thrinax radiata)

Moose, no canopy here, yet. We're tryin' but even the fastest growers (Bamboo, Eucalyptus) are slow in this lousy sand. Too hot, too cold, too dry. But on the up side, its almost never too wet (except when it is!). Rainy season decided to vacation somewhere else and even the Bahia grass is...
  17. Keith Winter Haven FL

P.rupicola,The nicest Phoenix of them all.

Florida mutts.... Except for the P. dactylifera retiring here from the date groves of SoCal and AZ, most of the Phoenix palms here look like some kind of genetic mish-mash. I gravitate to the P. reclinata mutts as my "favorites". Of course, they aren't for small yards. Healthy, happy P...
  18. Keith Winter Haven FL

Alive, Sentient, Middle Aged, Employed

Alive, Sentient, Middle Aged, Employed
  19. Keith Winter Haven FL

Florida Thatch Palm (Thrinax radiata)

Dang close to hurricane proof too! Wish it were 5 to 10 degrees hardier. But it does OK in a pot.
  20. Keith Winter Haven FL

Clerodendrum quadriloculare

I planted these in the frost hole of my back yard figuring they'd be annuals. The flowers are nice, but i really wanted the dark foliage. Now I wonder if I've planted an invasive with pretty leaves and flowers.