Search results

1. James_Guam

Rare Banana

Greetings all! I acquired one of these variegated AeAe banana plants online and it's on its way to Guam! I am curious if anyone else in the tropics is growing this and any tips/suggestions or observations on growing this sexy banana. Just a little info on our banana trees. Here at our...
  2. James_Guam

Plant ID, possible croton?

Thank you all, I thought it may be based on how the leaves are attached to the stems, but it has a leaf type I've not run across before. Thank you all again for the help! -James
  3. James_Guam

Plant ID, possible croton?

I've recently acquired a plant and I'm unsure as to what it is. I'm hoping it's a croton but if not I'm curious to see what it is! Thank you in advance!
  4. James_Guam

Areca catechu dwarf

You should check periodically on Ebay as I've seen them listed on there occasionally. I wish I remembered which seller it was so I could tell you. v/r, James
  5. James_Guam

Unid. Palm ID help

Thanks Moose! A local plant vendor is selling these at the weekend flea market here on Guam. A nice find for $25.00. It's about a foot and a half tall. The newest leaf is showing more variegation which is always welcomed.
  6. James_Guam

Unid. Palm ID help

Cool, thank you for the information! I'll read up on both and see if I can find out the differences and make a narrower guess. Thanks again! Btw, I picked up this little guy at the flea market recently! He's about a foot tall. Variegated Raphis excelsa
  7. James_Guam

Unid. Palm ID help

Greetings! There's a palm that has been sporadically planted on Guam, that is appealing to me. I've collected some seeds to start growing them myself. I've only seen it at several parks on Guam and it is quite uncommon here. I've taken some pics to help with it's ID so I know what to call it...
  8. James_Guam

A few pics from the yard.

Here's the picture of the mother plant from which I obtained the seeds for the Pinanga insignis palm seedling I'm growing. All the palms in that area showed similar coloration so I'm very hopeful my plants will be just as sexy! Haha. . This is the pic I found on my phone. I'm still...
  9. James_Guam

I went and checked them out and seems pretty neat. I'll definitely add that site to my self-gifting Christmas list haha. I just purchased an interesting palm on eBay, Lemurophoenix halleuxii. Hopefully it makes the trip here. It is said to get fairly large, and I liked the color of the crown...
  10. James_Guam

Thank you Jeff, I'll definitely post some pics of the local surroundings and some of the stuff done with coconut and pandanus leaves. Although the trade is not as common there are still folks who weave traditional/utilitarian items from coconut, nipa, pandanus and bamboo. I'm not too...
  11. James_Guam

Variegated Adonidia merrillii fertilizing

I'll test out different types when it comes time to fertilize. I think they'll like being out of the pots better. We've had several tropical storms come thru so I've been keeping them in a protected area for the time being. Thanks for all the input. -James
  12. James_Guam

Licuala sp. identification help

Thank you for all the input ya'll. In other exciting Licuala news, two more of my L. peltata var. sumawongii seeds sprouted so I've potted them up. The orbicularis is taking it's time. I did remove the shell (unsure of the technical term), the thin woody coating between the husk and the...
  13. James_Guam

Thanks Ryan, I do believe that the leaves split because of handling, however, I will continue to monitor and see if the leaves come out naturally split. After reading your post I headed out to the back to see if the newer leaves showed signs of splitting naturally. They all seemed to be...
  14. James_Guam

Here are some pics of the pandanus trees I'm growing. Not really palms, they're pretty interesting too. They all have thorns minus the last two varieties. Here is the Pandanus tree that I planted back in '96 at our ranch property from a cutting with leaves no longer than three feet...
  15. James_Guam

Greetings all! I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. My name is James, and I am a Chamorro from Guam who recently returned home to the island after a few years in the military (~13). During my time "overseas" I'd return to Guam every couple of years to plant more...
  16. James_Guam

I like them a lot. I've read online that variegated palms prefer shade because of "sunburn". I'll probably end up planting these below one of the larger trees in the yard, although they were kept in the open portion of the garden center receiving full sun vice under the shade cloth protected...
  17. James_Guam

Håfa Adai (hello) All, I have recently acquired a pair of variegated Manila palms (Christmas palms), Adonidia merrillii from a local garden center. The variegation is very nice and visible on all leaves. It's not as vibrant as the pics of trees I've seen online. I was curious if anyone was...
  18. James_Guam

Thank you for the insight. Some of the local nurseries here on Guam use the scientific names on their plant labeling and are knowledgeable which helps me do more research online to plan out if I want the plant and what the requirements are, space-wise and care-wise for foreign species. I'm...
  19. James_Guam

Greetings all! I'm looking for some help identifying my Licuala palms. I purchased them from a local plant vendor, but they weren't sure of the exact species. I had purchased some seeds of L. peltata var sumawongii and L. orbicularis on the internet prior to finding these palms locally...