Is Coco de Mer in Hawaii?

There are but a few here in South Florida. Our occasional cold fronts make it a difficult one to grow here. The seed ranges in price @ $800 to $1200 per seed. And there is no guarantee as to the viability.

Lodoicea maldivica is only found in hard core collections here. I suspect there are more being cultivated in Hawaii.

There are but a few here in South Florida. Our occasional cold fronts make it a difficult one to grow here. The seed ranges in price @ $800 to $1200 per seed. And there is no guarantee as to the viability.

Lodoicea maldivica is only found in hard core collections here. I suspect there are more being cultivated in Hawaii.
Thanks for answering, Moose. Let me know if you need help removing moss from your antlers. :)

I know of two people in Puna that have them. In one garden there are three, and the other only one. They are all over 10 years old, but still a while from trunking.

But with everything that has been going on in Puna, it may be a while before you would be able to get in and get a look. Another few weeks and it may be very hard to get down to lower Puna. Both of these gardens are in Leilani Estates.

What ever happened to the one over in Tampa?
Bren, The city of St Petersburg purchased the palm and cycad collection of Dr Young early this year. I hear the collection was to be relocated to Kopsick and Sunken Gardens. Has it happened? I do not know.

I know of two people in Puna that have them. In one garden there are three, and the other only one. They are all over 10 years old, but still a while from trunking.

But with everything that has been going on in Puna, it may be a while before you would be able to get in and get a look. Another few weeks and it may be very hard to get down to lower Puna. Both of these gardens are in Leilani Estates.
Puna, huh? Then I'll wait for it to come to the west side, because Puna is too far, and kinda dangerous and crazy right now. But thanks. :)

Whats going on in Puna?
Well - first it was Hurricane Iselle which put Puna in the bull's eye. They were 2-3 weeks without electricity, trees across roads, etc. That happened 6 weeks ago.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/hurricane_iselle_2014_hurrican.html

And now it's a lava flow headed straight for the main town - due to arrive in about 2 weeks.
lava map.jpg

Last edited:
And now that the earth-moving equipment is needed to build emergency roads as the lava advances, someone has vandalized two bulldozers in Puna. http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/volcano-update/flow-picks-speed-bulldozers-vandalized The nativists were FURIOUS than someone suggested diverting the lava to save homes, so perhaps vandalizing the bulldozers was a way of protecting Hawaiian culture.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Then, during the hurricane, someone stole a red cross truck that was needed to tow a trailer full of emergency supplies. "the truck is the Red Cross’ only vehicle on the island and used to tow its supply trailer. It was kept in a fenced area on Ululani Street, and the thief or thieves used the truck to ram a locked gate." http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/red-cross-truck-stolen-hilo Then, someone vandalized the company that was distributing ice to the people who had lost power during the hurricane: http://www.kitv.com/news/vandalism-shuts-down-hilo-ice-company/27464934 Puna also has the EVIL MacKenzie park. In 1980, a young couple was camping in the park when they were attacked and severely beaten outside their tent during the night. Their bodies were found by other campers the next morning, the man was dead and the woman was barely alive. No arrest was ever made and the crime still remains a mystery to this day. In 1993, a 16-year-old highschool girl was kidnapped and raped by three men. After beating the victim unconscious, the three men disposed of her body over the cliff in the park. The men were later arrested and according to their confession, the victim was still alive when they threw her into the ocean. Her body was never found. Most recently, in 2008, while filming the movie “The Tempest” (by Miramax, with Helen Miren and Djimon Hounsou) on location at MacKenzie State Park, the film’s cast and crew discovered the bullet-riddled body of a well known local surfer at the bottom of the sea cliff. http://punacoast.hubpages.com/hub/H...nzie-State-Park-in-Opihikao-on-the-Big-Island

Ah!..I saw that on the news..That woman was all for Lava burning down homes. That's hardcore tradition!..Extreme.

Actually - nothing comes as a surprise around here - you have to be prepared for just about anything (except freezes). :)
I can accept that some people believe in a lava monster named, "Pele", because, after all, when I was a child, I believed in Santa Claus. But it's the HATE and ANGER that comes out of so many of these Hawaiians that I don't understand. And as you could see in the video, the White, USGS guys, were tooooootally wallowing in political correctness. It's so sad. NOBODY is attacking Hawaiian culture by wanting to divert the lava. People just wanted to save their homes, and the Hawaiians would still be having their pidgin, their ukuleles, their tattoos, their pitbulls and their monster trucks with plastic balls on them.

I ran across a reference - and a nice pic- that there are three of those palms at Fosters garden in 2009.