Ginger

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Peacock Gold.
Img_5513.jpg
Img_5517.jpg

These are diminutive gingers that do not take over the garden.Unfortunately the blooms are short lived and are grown mostly for the striking looking foliage. Peacock gingers are classified under the genus Kaempheria.

http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/giam/plants_and_grasses/grasses_lawncare/peacock_ginger.html
The flowers are a one day deal, but the good news is that the flowers keep coming. The Jungle Gold will flower for a few weeks and the foliage will be around for its show a few months. The Jungle Gold and Pink Lace just returned from the rest a couple weeks ago. This was my first year of growing these two and I thought they were dead. Pink Lace-
Img_5519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A ginger that is never lacking in color. It gets the award for the longest lasting flower in the garden. I don't know what it is, or even remember where we got it.

But I don't think it has been touched in 3 years. As you can see if you look closely, it appears to have 3 stages of flowers - really old, and almost all color gone(2-3 yrs old), old, those starting to lose color (1-2 yr. old), and the new ones staring - small and bright at the moment - destined for a long life.
IMG_1515PT.jpg IMG_1516PT.jpg

Does anyone know where to get turmeric plants, on the island of Hawaii? Turmeric is related to ginger, but it doesn't taste like ginger. If you haven't tried turmeric, I recommend that you do. It tastes like a blend of mild black pepper with hints of cool mint. It is not hot or spicy, but rather sophisticated. There is even a Lebanese coffee cake recipe that calls for turmeric. I didn't have the ingredients for the coffee cake, so I made cinnamon toast with turmeric and cinnamon. I used twice as much turmeric as cinnamon, because cinnamon is stronger than turmeric. And of course I used butter and honey on the toast along with it. The taste was very exotic and different, but clearly very sophisticated and snobby. Turmeric was one of the original canoe plants, brought over by the Polynesians to Hawaii. But I've never seen it here. If you know where to get it, please let me know. http://www.canoeplants.com/olena.html

Does anyone know where to get turmeric plants, on the island of Hawaii? Turmeric is related to ginger, but it doesn't taste like ginger. If you haven't tried turmeric, I recommend that you do. It tastes like a blend of mild black pepper with hints of cool mint. It is not hot or spicy, but rather sophisticated. There is even a Lebanese coffee cake recipe that calls for turmeric. I didn't have the ingredients for the coffee cake, so I made cinnamon toast with turmeric and cinnamon. I used twice as much turmeric as cinnamon, because cinnamon is stronger than turmeric. And of course I used butter and honey on the toast along with it. The taste was very exotic and different, but clearly very sophisticated and snobby. Turmeric was one of the original canoe plants, brought over by the Polynesians to Hawaii. But I've never seen it here. If you know where to get it, please let me know. http://www.canoeplants.com/olena.html

Try Plant Group Hawaii in Hilo. They grow at least 6 different Curcumas which are in the tumeric family.

You can check for the root of Turmeric in a Indian Grocery Store and even Heath Food Stores that sell fresh produce. Many years ago I grew Turmeric from a root purchased from a Health Food .

A ginger that is never lacking in color. It gets the award for the longest lasting flower in the garden. I don't know what it is, or even remember where we got it.

But I don't think it has been touched in 3 years. As you can see if you look closely, it appears to have 3 stages of flowers - really old, and almost all color gone(2-3 yrs old), old, those starting to lose color (1-2 yr. old), and the new ones staring - small and bright at the moment - destined for a long life.
View attachment 26981 View attachment 26982

That looks a lot like what I see in photos planted all over Balboa Park- Torch Ginger?

I just recently found out to my surprise, that home depot here in key west carries curcumas similar to ScoTti's post #9 and#10 for only about a month while blooming in april or may.... they have in white and just a blushed pink....
So, soon will see if they get them again this year..

And regarding the large sprawling types, that tend to take over... thought I'd share pics of one that has 5 or six bloom spikes per flower... and they seem to last forever!!! In the background os a fruiting calabash tree....
20141220_135107.jpg

Attachments

• 20141220_135104.jpg
    20141220_135104.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 20141220_135002.jpg
    20141220_135002.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 191
Regarding my post above, zoom in on the calabash, and you'll notice there are many fruit on the tree limbs.
I never realized there were two types of fruit, one beind oblong (as in the picture...) AND the completly round one, which doesn't readily fruit as much..... I never realized this, so thought I'd pass it along....... mark

Just wanted to post a couple more pics of the Curcuma longa (I believe it's longa). But my transplanted hers several seasons ago, and she said the rhizomes were white in color rathere than the orange which you see in
whole food markets...... anyone have any info? Could there be different cultivars of the same species?
20150616_115602.jpg
20150616_142113.jpg

Attachments

• 20150616_142113.jpg
    20150616_142113.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 186