Seedling Luna x Chinatown

Ninja

24/02/14
this seedling was particularly interesting to me - aside from the fact that it was my second overall seedling to bloom - because its a cross between a normal/commercial hibiscus and a really fancy one.

here are the parents:

pod-parent 'Luna' from a local garden center and flashy pollen parent Chinatown:

Luna_2013_5.jpg chinatown.jpg

the resulting pod had only this one seed :p

here's the first bloom (age ~ one year):

Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_1.JPG Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_1a.JPG

and a couple more... turned out this one is a rather frequent bloomer - yay!

Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_2a.JPG Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_5.JPG

the first outdoor-blooms in summer:

Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_6a.JPG Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_6b.JPG Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_6c.JPG

Luna_x_Chinatown_2013_10.JPG

some group-shots for comparison

left - seedling together with cv Chinatown; right: seedling and Acapulco Gold

Luna_X_Chinatown_and_Chinatown.JPG LunXChin_AcapulcoGold.JPG

left to right:Moorea Mangy Blue, Seedling Pete's Pink x Ana Lyn (got that one from IHS), Luna x Chinatown, Tahitian Queen, Voodoo Magic and Acapulco Gold

lun_chin_group.JPG

Nice flower! I'm still waiting for my first bloom on my first seedling. I'd be stoked to get something like that from one of my crosses.

For a commercial flower Luna is nice. I like the white center. I've never seen that one here. The real common ones here are from the Yoder Bros. the names of their CVs seems to always have "wind" or "breeze" in it. The flowers are kinda plain. I'm so insane that I bought cayman wind just to use it for crossing (and it was cheap)!

I like that cv (Luna) a lot, it's a pity that I don't have any seeds from her left at the moment. I did a few crosses in the beginning and then put the plant 'on vacation' as it was still not growing properly due to the f**ing growth inhibitors she was treated with. she started growing normally only last summer. so - hopefully this year I'll do some more crosses with her. But exactly those seedlings from the beginning are the ones blooming right now, so of the few blooming seedlings I have, most have Luna as parent. I'll post the other ones a bit later :p

I'm so lame, I only recently discovered the IHS database (because Richard Johnson told me about the website) and I've been studying the CV search engine that shows the parents of crosses but so many photos are missing, it's frustrating! Anyway, I've noticed that many times when you cross two boring flowers together you get something interesting and sometimes when you cross two exciting ones the cross comes out boring. At least the ones in the database. But it seems like everyone is getting awesome results by crossing interesting ones on the IHS FB page!

I wouldn't think so.. but if you are looking for clues -
what they like to do here is to put actually ~two or three small cuttings in one pot, so the plant looks like a full bush. and if it's been treated with growth inhibitors, the nodes/branches are truncated, so there's more or less only blooms coming out on top. so of course you go ahead and buy that nice crazily blooming plant and after some months - boom - they are powered out and die. sometimes there's nothing you can do, sometimes you get lucky and they outgrow that stuff. but the first year with such a plant can be a bit tricky

Luna_may_small.JPG IMGP2944.JPG

btw did I mention that its really nice and easy uploading and grouping images here? nice job!

Easy to upload because of the software and it helps to be computer savvy like you!
Dean (my fiancé) tried to pick the best forum software at the time he set it up which was years ago. You can do a lot on this sight, you can have your own photo gallery or even have your own blog! :)

don't know, I think it's a problem with its roots, I put it indoors now, so it can dry out a bit more. It never really recovered after the last winter and its been getting rather wet the last few weeks. It had some really nice blooms last year, would be a shame to loose it.