More questions

annafl

Esteemed Member
Perry has now posted the 2000 calendar- the very first one. Thanks, Perry!:D

I have three questions about these photos. The one that's labeled Johannis looks like this:

To me that does not resemble Johannis. What say you?

I also had a problem with this one labeled as King Siam:

What say you about this one?

Perry feels that Coral Shower is the real name instead of Coral Showers. What say you about this?
Please weigh in if you have an opinion on any of these questions. Thanks! Ana

Attachments

• CCJul2000.jpg
    CCJul2000.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 119
  • CCNov2000.jpg
    CCNov2000.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 106
king of siam is an as close as possible translation of a thai name as english can give us. thailand has a king. his plant guy is well known in south florida (kampon tensaka) and has hosted an IPS biennial. lots of people have that plant as KOS. the other KOS was always called wizard of oz based on jesse durko's thai to english. little bit harder to get thai stuff perfect.

DSCN5548.JPG First pic is Cronstadt.
Second one was called the "True King of Siam" by the donor. See first pic.
The next group of pics is what I've been calling King of Siam (as compared to the Queen of Siam which is ruffled but green and cream with occasional hits of pink). KOS has fbeen very slow for me, whereas the QOS has been a vigorous grower in shade or full sun.
last three pics are DSCN5548.JPG Coral shower - a great old interrupted variety; lots of pics in Wiki.

Attachments

• DSCN5549.JPG
    DSCN5549.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN5550.JPG
    DSCN5550.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN5551.JPG
    DSCN5551.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN5552.JPG
    DSCN5552.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN5553.JPG
    DSCN5553.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN5554.JPG
    DSCN5554.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 97
this is a confusing group in name only. luckily the plants are very distinct. phil's KOS, very distinct. wizard of oz (durko) also called KOS (brown,pg 116) very distinct. bender had a very similar plant to wizard.

bender's plant was more open, darker green, less spangled and no pink. inferior, but very close, though. i don't remember what he called it. i sent lots out through the society before i figured out they were different and culled them

and then there is the red one. zammas and i have always called them red wizard, they are queen of siam in the book (brown pg. 116). killer plant. we snagged them from tropical world as fresh thai imports years ago.

bender had the same KOS as phil. typical thai croton, small and slow. so names are anybodies guess. we don't have any problem calling kakaduam (brown pg. 127) dreadlocks.

anna, i believe it is coral shower. it is a mike fascell plant. there is another one, coppinger's coral shower, very rare, very cool, very different. it still exists, i am told, small, spiral

on the subject of holy grail plants, what about grenada? 1st pic, jesse durkos plant, killed by hurricane wilma. 2nd and 3rd pics, the momma. all pics don't belong to me, if i knew who's they were, i would credit them

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-30-06.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-30-06.png
    694.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-31-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-31-38.png
    926.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-31-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-24-03-31-49.png
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 119
Thanks to Mike, Randy, Phil and Kurt. Phil your Coral Shower is awesome! Kurt, that Grenada is to die for! Both Phil and Kurt as well as Perry referred to Coral Showers as Coral Shower. I think I'll go ahead and change that. As to the calendar entries, I think I'll let Perry decide what to do about them! Go Perry!

Grenada is a great,great plant.When I got mine ,the grower told me that it was slow.Mine has not been too slow,I would call it moderate.I pinched it last year and it has 4 nice heads on it now,I will try and post a pic later.

on the subject of holy grail plants, what about grenada? 1st pic, jesse durkos plant, killed by hurricane wilma. 2nd and 3rd pics, the momma. all pics don't belong to me, if i knew who's they were, i would credit them

My only disagreement Kurt, is the Red QOS plants that George grows and gave me a nice one for my yard, I believe is different from mine I got many years ago as a cutting from B. Frank out of his garden. Now I know he can make mistakes like the rest of us, but I'm sticking to my plant from him under that name , versus a plant that the guys at Tropic World picked up from who knows where. Maybe the next time we all get together at the house here, we can compare the two. Now wouldn't that be nice to sort out another named croton with two different plants going around! Lol.

good idea. i never saw dr. brown's plant. when george and i got ours from tropical world, they had just imported thousands of rooted cuttings from thailand and had set them all out in 3gallons frying in full sun

most of them were typical looking thai stuff, took us quite a while to pick those out. i'd bet most of the rest died. that one has been vigorous. we just assumed it was the same as in the book.

I did get some feedback from Bob Alonzo re: the King (of) Siam. He verified that the plant was one that John Bender had, and he (Bender)called it King of Siam. It is slow growing, and very few people have it. He hopes it gets propagated.

anna, don't be afraid to post sorry pictures of grenada. we will get better ones and replace them at some point. post mike's pic too. i think the grinder of opinions on this site is very healthy. everyone seems to be looking for the best information possible.

seems like a consensus seems to emerge on most stuff, that's what makes this format so good. i wish we had this website and digital camera phones 15 years ago. it is so quick and easy to get expert feedback

I was in email contact with John Criswick this morning and this is what he said about Grenada:
"I have no idea who took that picture, possibly at my place although I have sold a lot of plants of it over the years, but apparently they had no other name to give it than Grenada. I should like that entry on that site to be renamed ‘Rita Barrow’ although it has not been officially renamed such. When Rita gave me a cutting she said it was a spontaneous hybrid that had occurred in her garden. Possibly she simply took seeds off one of her crotons and sowed them and selected this one out of what came up."

John and Jesse are friends so that's likely where Jesse got the plant. When John said it was Rita Barrow, I realized that I even had it at one time. Sadly, no more.

marie, i know where the big plant is, and had considered contacting john to see if he could get a few pieces. if you have any relationship with john, drop me a line and i can tell you where the plant is. bob alonzo works for fedex, he can get anything here quickly. here is my email i95east@aol.com

marie, i know where the big plant is, and had considered contacting john to see if he could get a few pieces. if you have any relationship with john, drop me a line and i can tell you where the plant is. bob alonzo works for fedex, he can get anything here quickly. here is my email i95east@aol.com

Thanks Kurt but not necessary. John grows Rita Barrow in his nursery.