Richard Krukonis

Borgy230

06/07/09
With all this talk lately about this very important "Richard Krukonis" croton. what does it look like? Is it the one labeled as such in the book on pages 11 and 15?

Anyone have one and have a photo of theirs?

Rob

Ricky,

yah I saw that, and I was looking through the book last night and the R.K. caught my eye, it looks completely different than what we have here in the encyclopedia. Its so hard figuring these things out!
I think I spent a good 30 minutes yesterday with Jeff trying to differentiate two crotons haah.

Rob

Rob - In looking at the photos in the book and then at mine, I doubt mine is the same. Which then begs the question, "What do I have then?"

(Added as I'm looking at the book right now) Take a gander at President Reagan on page 23 and then at the photo I posted as RK.

Ricky,
I was just looking in the book and was actually going to suggest the same thing!
I think thats a President R. that you have!

Rob

Well, I've got quite a few of them, including the big one for the auction:

auction.gif

I've never heard anyone ever criticize the picture on p11 and p15 in Crotons of the World. Some distinguising characteristics include: size of leaf- compare it to Dr. Brown's hand; that's a big leaf. Shape of leave; note how large the side lobes of the leaves are. One may see an occasional leaf like that on another cultivar but not a whole bush full.

So after staring at your photo, Ricky, it looks like a Pres. Reagan - with fone Krukonis type leaf in LR.
Which then raises the question for me at least, how does Pres. Reagan differ significantly from Corot (Not Carrot or Carot) ? Darker color is perhaps the best distinguishing feature for me. I've got two Corots and one very slow growing Pres. Reagan, and again, the only difference I can see is that Pres Reagan has more red in the mature leaves.
Anyone have any idea where Corot and Pres. Reagan came from?

Phil

Ricky / Rob,

I'm definitely looking forward to the croton tour and seeing everyone. Also, we'll take a look at this plant in question and see if we can all determine what it might be.

Two years ago, I was extreamly lucky to get a small RK plant from Frank Brown. I grew it up and finally took some cuttings off of it earlier this summer with great success. But, because it was small and still is, it wouldn't be worth taking a picture of it now. Before I took the cuttings, it was starting to get some nice, typical leaves that this variety is known for.

But I think when we all take a look, we can get a good idea on what it is.

Jeff

Phil,

I have both plants growing, and I will agree that President Reagan has more red and brighter reds throughout the leaf. I also would say that Corot is a much smaller leaf when compared as long as both plants are in healthy conditions. Also, the three tips of the leaf seem to come to a more defined point than President Reagan. To me, their pretty easy to tell apart, maybe because I've had them growing for a few years now.

Gents, I posted photos of R. Reagan, Norman Rockwell and Corot some time ago (August 16 - "Some More Confusing Crotons") to distinguish those similar looking varieties. I have yet to see (in person) a plant resembling the Richard Krukonis pictured in the book. Ricky's photo looks like a Reagan to me.

.....and she's still alive and well. That must be the secret.

Didn' t seem to help George Harrison, Bob Marley, Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, Mama Cass, Warren Zevon, Janis Joplin, Timothy Leary, Patrick Swazey, Keith Moon, John Phillips, Frank Zappa, David Carradine, Heath Ledger, Ana Nicole Smith, Len Bias, Bruce Lee ...

Back to Crotons:Where can we locate a true Richard Krukonis? :eek:

Didn' t seem to help George Harrison, Bob Marley, Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, Mama Cass, Warren Zevon, Janis Joplin, Timothy Leary, Patrick Swazey, Keith Moon, John Phillips, Frank Zappa, David Carradine, Heath Ledger, Ana Nicole Smith, Len Bias, Bruce Lee ...

Back to Crotons:Where can we locate a true Richard Krukonis? :eek:

Ron,

You have alot of friends!

But, you actually know someone that has a Richard Krukonis.......

However, Queen Victoria is the only toker I know of who has a croton named for her. She reputedly used it for menstrual cramps and pain. now back to crotons...

Richard Krukonis is the one croton I have been looking to find, and after all these
years, I have not seen it. I think it has left this world never to be seen again.