Cultivar :Banana"

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This one was sold to me as "Banana". After seeing Banana in Frank Brown's book - it looks as if Banana should be yellow and green only. It was growing in full sun but is now growing in semi shade. The new leaves looked green and yellow but It seems the yellow is starting to turn orange and blushing reds. :confused: Is this Banana or some other cultivar? :confused:

Ron. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Croton Banana.jpg
    Croton Banana.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Croton Banana 2.jpg
    Croton Banana 2.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 138
I purchased these as Yellow Banana and Banana. The labled Banana has larger leaves. So what is it really?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 132
wow! thanks for the info. the fl. botanical gardens has a croton listed in our catalog and we couldn't figure out what it was. we definitely have bananas. so do you know what smipes is? that is the other mystery label we can't hook up with a plant. we have an oak leaf very similar to thanksgiving but the spots are fewer and larger than in thanksgiving ie a small sprinkle of bigger spots so the leaves are mainly green with a some white or pink spots. we have grown it under deep shade and more light and the low number of spots doesn't change. it looks more like tiger eye in the book than the thanksgiving on the plant encyclopedia picture. thanks.

My "Red Banana" is in a pretty good amount of shade. The new flushes are much bigger but are fairly green. It gets a couple of hours of filtered sunlight each day. Should I leave it where it is or find a sunnier aspect? :confused:

Ron. :)

I have had this Croton for years. Relocated several times in the garden. Now growing in shade. This is Red Banana, right?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 141
I am not good with IDs, but I know its not a Mammy.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 160
Back side of leaves...

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 150
wow! thanks for the info. the fl. botanical gardens has a croton listed in our catalog and we couldn't figure out what it was. we definitely have bananas. so do you know what smipes is? that is the other mystery label we can't hook up with a plant. we have an oak leaf very similar to thanksgiving but the spots are fewer and larger than in thanksgiving ie a small sprinkle of bigger spots so the leaves are mainly green with a some white or pink spots. we have grown it under deep shade and more light and the low number of spots doesn't change. it looks more like tiger eye in the book than the thanksgiving on the plant encyclopedia picture. thanks.

'Miami Beauty' Is about half way between 'Thanksgiving' and 'Tiger Eye'.