Is this a dreadlocks?

Borgy230

06/07/09
I have noticed this planting of crotons for the last few weeks in South Beach. I kind of think its dreaklocks, but at the same time, I have never seen a dreadlocks look this great!

They have been planting a ton of different crotons in South Beach the last two months!

Rob

Attachments

• Sobe Croton.jpg
    Sobe Croton.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 580
Rob - Yes, that's a nice colony of Dreadlocks, go take some cuttings but keep the plants out of the cold if you put them in the ground. They pop up at HD and Lowes every couple of years and as far as looking good, there's one across the street from me that I put into the homeowner's landscape five years ago that looks even better than those.

I get confused by the similarities among King of Siam,Queen of Siam and Dreadlocks.

Can someone do an ID tutorial for these three?

Jerry,

Cronstadt and Dreadlocks can be very confusing to the untrained eye. Cronstadt has been a favorite of mine and is more cold hardy than Dreadlocks. From one of Ricky's earlier posts, Dreadlocks has issues with cool weather even down there.

Ray

here we go with some pics of Queen of Siam - curly leaf with spots of color ranging from white to cream and an occasional light pink. Background green of leaves is a medium to light green. I've found it a fast and vigorous grower here in St. Pete. You may see a 6" rufler in some pics for scale.

Attachments

• DSCN2151.jpg
    DSCN2151.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN2152.jpg
    DSCN2152.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN2153.jpg
    DSCN2153.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN2154.jpg
    DSCN2154.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 209
...and here is the King of Siam - two forms, one with small dots (1 pic) and more common form with larger dots and spots (2 pics of same plant). I've found both forms to be very slow. The large dot variety is an air layer from one that was in more sun but died due to a very weak root system - nematodes ?? Probably better suited to south Florida with higher heat and humidity. The leaves on both are about 2/3 the size of those on my Queen of Siam. The King is a lot more colorful than the Queen.

Attachments

• DSCN2155.jpg
    DSCN2155.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN2147.jpg
    DSCN2147.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN2146.jpg
    DSCN2146.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 216
...and finally a ratty Dreadlocks. This croton looks splendid when it's sitting in a big box store and fresh from being forced in a greenhouse or where-ever. New foliage is almost a chartreuse and a real eye catcher; mature leaves are wider and longer than my Queen or King of Siam. The background green then turns a dark green and the spots a predominately an orange. It does not grow well for me whether in part shade or strong light. Probably better suited to S. Florida or Costa Rica with more warmth year round. Still worth a try since they are usually available in many big box stores.

Leaves on Dreadlocks are almost twice as wide as those on Cronstadt which stays yellow and green.

onward through the fog,

Phil

Attachments

• DSCN2145.jpg
    DSCN2145.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 223
Phil,

Those are very good pictures showing the difference. I told Ray in an earlier reply that the Queen's have more red. I looked at mine the other day, and even though they do get some red, it is a much greener plant like in your pictures above. It's the same plant for sure, as I bought it from Dr Brown. We just all need to stand in a group while looking at each croton, one at a time and pin the damn name down on each....step by step. Lol!

Jeff

Jeff,

I mentioned to Lee having a croton ID "conference" somewhere down in the Ft. Myers. We can bring plants, have a slideshow etc and make a concerted effort at establishing some names. We've had Palmfest now we need a Crotonfest.

Ray

I am going to have to dig out my camera and figure out how to post pictures. After reading these posts, I went out in my yard and looked at my Kings and Queens of Siam. I am now more confused than ever! The one I bgt. as the King is mostly yellow and the Queen mostly Red & Green. I don't even know what happened to my Prince! I had all three of them. The King took off, "if" that is the one with the yellow!!!! The Queen won't grow worth a darn for me. I don't know what happened to the Prince. Maybe it died or is out there looking like a little Queen.... I am not sure.

As for Dreadlocks, it is a great croton. The Home Depot in Pinecrest usually has them avaiable. Call first to be sure.

I am going to have to dig out my camera and figure out how to post pictures. After reading these posts, I went out in my yard and looked at my Kings and Queens of Siam. I am now more confused than ever! The one I bgt. as the King is mostly yellow and the Queen mostly Red & Green. I don't even know what happened to my Prince! I had all three of them. The King took off, "if" that is the one with the yellow!!!! The Queen won't grow worth a darn for me. I don't know what happened to the Prince. Maybe it died or is out there looking like a little Queen.... I am not sure.

As for Dreadlocks, it is a great croton. The Home Depot in Pinecrest usually has them avaiable. Call first to be sure.

Just curious, what's a prince?

No, that definitely is not Dreadlocks. It looks like the one I bought as King of Siam. The confusion started, when someone said that Frank Brown has it misnamed in his book.

From this thread it appears that King of Siam (pink spotting) in full shade, Queen of Siam (red spotting) in full shade, Dreadlocks in full sun :rolleyes:

Is this correct :confused:

Ron. :)

Picked this Dreadlocks up today at Lowes for $3 on the markdown rack. It is pushing out new growth as can be seen in the picture.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 223
This past weekend I went to the box store to get composted cow manure, peat moss and some root tone for cuttings. I spied this guy and he some how ended up going home with me. I usually never buy plants from a box store, I believe in supporting your local growers and their families. I had a weak moment - I believe this is Dreadlocks. :p

Attachments

• Dreadlocks.jpg
    Dreadlocks.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 241
No, that definitely is not Dreadlocks. It looks like the one I bought as King of Siam. The confusion started, when someone said that Frank Brown has it misnamed in his book.

The pictures of the King and the Queen of Siam are correct in the book.

As far as the Prince of Siam, I seriously doubt this croton is around. Maybe in Thailand, but it dosen't do much from me, at least going by the picture.

Jeff

here we go with some pics of Queen of Siam - curly leaf with spots of color ranging from white to cream and an occasional light pink. Background green of leaves is a medium to light green. I've found it a fast and vigorous grower here in St. Pete. You may see a 6" rufler in some pics for scale.

Mr. Stager you have your Siams backwords the Queen has much red where as the king is green and Creme white if you will with a tiny bit of red :)