I.D. Part 11

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Here are a couple more needing an I.D. :eek: These are right next door. The plants are at least 30 years old, probably older. They are not cared for at all. Both are on west side of the house. First one is shaded by a mango tree.

Ron. :)

Attachments

• Croton #24.jpg
    Croton #24.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Croton #24b.jpg
    Croton #24b.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 160
  • Croton #25.jpg
    Croton #25.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Croton #25b.jpg
    Croton #25b.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 140
Ray - should I hold off on the cuttings? Is it to late in the season? I thought of getting some of these in Claude's mist house and give you some well rooted Black Beauties in the spring? What do you think? Are you going to make the meeting at Ricky's? :confused:

Ron.:)

Ron, cuttings taken now will likely be ready for the October meeting ;). It's warm enought to root cuttings throughout most of October. These plants are cranking along right now and it takes a few months to slow them down.

Ray - Black Beauty cuttings secured. They are soaking right now. I will rootone them get them going this evening. They should have some roots by the Oct. 17th meeting at Ricky's garden. Will we see you there? :confused:

Ray - unfortunately he is my weirdest neighbor. :mad: Although he is not a plant type person at all, :( he probably would not consent to me making some nice big airlayers. I did not want to ask him so he wouldn't monitor the croton. Any of my other neighbors would be more than happy to let me. So lets just say a 5:45 am covert operation took place. Beware of determined crotonhead with clippers. :rolleyes: All for the Society!

Ron,

It sounded like a well, thought out covert, military operation that went very smoothly. No injuries I take it? I understand if you can't indulge in that sort of information. If you told me, you probably would have to kill me then.

Well, I hope they root in time, it's going to be real close. It would probably be wise that the hard working auctioneer get one....to keep him happy and everything.;)

Jeff

Ray - unfortunately he is my weirdest neighbor. :mad: Although he is not a plant type person at all, :( he probably would not consent to me making some nice big airlayers. I did not want to ask him so he wouldn't monitor the croton. Any of my other neighbors would be more than happy to let me. So lets just say a 5:45 am covert operation took place. Beware of determined crotonhead with clippers. :rolleyes: All for the Society!

Here they are potted up and ready to root!

Attachments

• Black Beauty.jpg
    Black Beauty.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 138
Scott - are you coming to the meeting Oct. 17 at Ricky's place. It seems that this may turn-out to be a large turnout and great auction! Some members are making the trip from your area. There will be 5 Black Beauties for auction at that meeting.

Ron, I will not be making the meeting as I will be on call that weekend for work.

If someone from the Tampa area is going to the meeting, and can secure one of the Black Beauties I will trade this Butiagrus for one of the Black Beauties. Any takers? I was at a local plant nursery yesterday and saw a few Crotons that looked like B.B. They were pushing some new growth that was green so I was not positive of the ID. After looking at the picture of B.B. I think they are the B.B. They were in 3 or 5 gal. pots but with no ID or price. I will check them out again next Sat.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 120
Scott - I have been thinking about going to the meeting at Phil's later this year. If all goes well I should make it but no promises. If I do show up I am sure some Black Beauties will be making the trip with me. ;)

These have not even rooted yet so we will see.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Black Beauties update: Not good. :mad: I left the leaves on and they defoliated. Two tips look like they have rotted. Only one is budding a new leaf. I am very upset with myself that I let my ego get envolved by leaving all the leaves on so they would look fabulous for the meeting at Ricky's garden. :( According to Ray (Crazy for Crotons) he felt that I over watered them by my trying to keep the leaves constantly wet.

I talked with Jeff Searle and we are going to get some cuttings up to his misting house to get some going and make them available at future Society Meetings. One thing I have learned from this forum is that when you think you have access to a mother plant, often one finds that it has been ignorantly removed by some non-plant type person that does not have a clue what they did. You need to get the material now and not put off until another day.

This cultivar is unique and beautiful which may require a shady aspect. I suspect that the leaves will turn red under sunny conditions. The mother plant is growing on the west side of the house but has a large mango canopy giving it nearly constant bright shadey conditions. Where I took cuttings on the mother plant, new leaves are forming. I apologize to all for my temporary failure. We will make this happen and get this cultivar back in circulation for all the crotonheads!!!!! :cool:

Any updates on Black Beauties?

YES!!

I did recieve some cuttings very late last year from Ron and then some more earlier this year, I think in March. Both batches went through should I say, " not the best of times " due to a very cold winter. But.....I was able to get some plants started, and are now growing in 1 gallon size pots. Ron will decide what to do with his share of the plants. I will be keeping some as well to grow on and plant a few out for later stock.

I sincerly think that if it was not for Ron, this variety had a very good chance of being lost. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never seen this plant prior, or even heard of it before. It's not a common croton for sure! Thanks Ron!

Here are a couple more needing an I.D. :eek: These are right next door. The plants are at least 30 years old, probably older. They are not cared for at all. Both are on west side of the house. First one is shaded by a mango tree.

The guy who owned the house and the black beauty croton died three weeks ago. I spoke with his younger brother who relocated to Arkansas years ago. He said that his father planted that croton. His father died 50 years ago. The house is up for sale. I volunteered to keep the lawn mowed until it is sold. I got permission to get some air layers. The fate of the plant is up in the air once the new owner takes over. I am concerned that the house may get torn down. It was built in 1947 and the rooms are very small.

Those who were fortunate enough to have gotten cuttings may want to baby their plants. The source may be getting lost after the air layers are distributed. :(

Nice job saving those Black Beautys....
If there was a nice stick or two left after you air layer everything I would be glad to buy some or send postage costs...
Or a stick of the General Paget would work if that was available...
;)

I did 10 air layers today. Cuttings tomorrow. When the new owner (my final offer was eclisped) goes to tent the house for termites or demolition, I will offer my services to move the plant to a secure location. ;)

Holey Crap! Someone snagged 9 of the 10 Black Beauty air layers. :(

The only air layer left has a neglible amount of roots. From the original photo at the beginning of this thread, the plant has changed dramatically in size. :eek:

If you are fortunate enough to have a rooted cutting, better baby it. ;)

Attachments

• Black Beauty.jpg
    Black Beauty.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Black Beauty2.jpg
    Black Beauty2.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 128
Some else snagged your air layers??? Great, please tell me crotons aren't the next Cycads!

If that mother plant can be moved, it will look very nice next year. It will have tons of new heads popping out and will look better than ever.

Damn Ron!!! Someone actually came in and stole them. Which means, that their driving around through the neighborhood and eyeing things up, which will include YOUR yard unfortunately. I would really keep an eye on things more closely. Sorry to hear about this.

Wow,that sucks,who would do that ??I am never amazed at how low people will go!!I have been reading about all the Cycad thefts on Palmtalk but never crotons.That is new to me!!

Here is John the previous owner of Black Beauty circa 1949 walking in front of the Mooseland when he was 1 yo. John passed away in April 2010. I kept up the yard for John's out of state brother until the estate could sell the house. I was permitted to relocate Black Beauty to the Mooseland. The true age of this Black Beauty has never been determined. All the brothers knew was that their father had planted it. It had been there as long as they could remember. Their Dad passed in 1961 so it is a croton at the minimum of 51 years of age. :)

Attachments

• Moose Land 1949 w John.jpg
    Moose Land 1949 w John.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 98