Rarest of the Rare Crotons

I have just been awarded CoverGirl, Flamingo, and SunRay.
Just how rare are these cultivars?

What is the rarest of the rare....that it could actually be an urban legend??:)

Rick,

CoverGirl would be considered very rare. Does it match up pretty good with the photo in the book? It came from a reliable source? It's one that almost none of us have, including me.
I have Flamingo, which I would consider pretty hard to find and Sunray is around a little.

Are these cuttings you have to root, or already established plants? A nice group none the less.

Jeff

Can we see some pics??

Angela,

By any chance, do you or Dean own the Croton Book written by B. Frank Brown? His first book, Florida's Beautiful Crotons was printed in 1960 and sold for $5.95. It's now considered a collector's book and can be found on ebay sometimes. The last I heard, when you found one, would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of around $75. Nowadays, it might be a little cheaper.

His second book, Crotons of the World, was written in the mid 90's. This one is much nicer because of all the color photographs.

When I just recently visited him, I asked him if he would ever consider writing a third book , with so many new varieties offered today his answer was a stern,no.

Jeff

Angela,

By any chance, do you or Dean own the Croton Book written by B. Frank Brown? His first book, Florida's Beautiful Crotons was printed in 1960 and sold for $5.95. It's now considered a collector's book and can be found on ebay sometimes. The last I heard, when you found one, would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of around $75. Nowadays, it might be a little cheaper.

His second book, Crotons of the World, was written in the mid 90's. This one is much nicer because of all the color photographs.

When I just recently visited him, I asked him if he would ever consider writing a third book , with so many new varieties offered today his answer was a stern,no.

Jeff

I have recently purchased both books. Your pricing is accurate. More croton fans than books available.

Angela,

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry for missing this earlier, but the answer is no. Maybe it's time for you and Andrea to start a new publishing project. A new up to date book would be nice. :)

Jeff,

Sorry for missing this earlier, but the answer is no. Maybe it's time for you and Andrea to start a new publishing project. A new up to date book would be nice. :)

I told Jeff that he should write a new book a long time ago. Jeff and Ray and maybe Judy as co-authors and Ryan as photographer.

Of course the thing that would put the project over the top is a forward by me!

Duncan Macaw.jpg
Duncan Macaw

Last edited: