Croton Novice

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I am a novice when it comes to Crotons and need some info. I have a few that I have planted in the garden in many locations. I have been inspired by the pictures I have seen here. I want to start a collection of Crotons in one general area of my yard. The Croton that is in that area has done well over the years. Now here is my novice questions: How can I know how tall a named Croton will get? All about the same? Larger the leaf the taller the plant? Small thin leafs shorter the plant? Is it hit or miss or a general rule of thumb? I want to do it right the first time. Here is a picture of the area I want to start the collection after removing all the Iris out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 159
To all you "experts." This is a good example of why it would be a good idea to start adding data to the named croton varieties in the Croton Encyclopedia section. Any of you can do it. Just click the "edit" tab, and give it a try.

Hopefully we can have this sort of info for each variety. Size, exposure, growth rate, and any other info or peculiarities of each type. I'll be happy to set up a template with this info so it will be standardized. It could also include history/heritage, common/rare, etc.

Let me know if you like the idea, and if you would participate.

Scott - For the most part, Crotons tend to grow into large, multi-trunked (or single, if grown that way) shrubs. Many of those in our garden have been in the ground over 10 years. Those are well over 6' tall. There is some correlation between leaf size and height, as most of the larger leaf Crotons are the tallest. However, I have a Johannis that has a long, slender leaf - up to a 8 inches long - that is just as tall as the 7' Davis next to it. The Davis leaves are as big as my foot. It all depends on your growing conditions.

Rick,

That would require a little bit of doing. But we could maybe do something like the box on the right of this Palm Page.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/Acrocomia_aculeata

Another user created that for Palmpedia, but I could probably alter it to have the appropriate headings - height, exposure, often confused with, etc. Then if there was enough interest, and someone who was willing to utilize it, we could try adding icons, or whatever ot make it a nifty feature. But the main concern is that we need volunteers that are willing to add the info.

mature height is probably age limited. Sunken Gardens here in St. Pete has some fothe early Turner plantings, a few of which are 15 ft + tall. Since most of us do not have unlimited acreage in which to grow them, we keep them at a height appropriate to the property.

Phil - finally back in very limited circulation after 12 days in hospital getting pumped full of vile antibiotics after a bite by a brown recluse spider (one rarely feels the bite and did not see the %$#@! bugger since it was late evening). Can't wait to get into action (weeks yet) and blast the area with every nasty insecticide available

YOUCH !!!

Please tell us a little more.

Where did he bite you?
When did you realize what it was?
What was the ultimate damage?

Probably should start a new thread on this vile arachnid. Got bit on LR foot 15 days ago in the evening. Did not see nor feel the bite. Next morning felt flu-like symptoms and like someone cracked my shin with a nightstick. Foot was moderately swollen so took it easy. Foot still swollen next day but no major pain so continued power washing wooden walkways in back yard; started to get suspicious that something major wrong though and started to suspect brown recluse after talking with friends. Next day hurt like hell but still could walk on it with cane; common sense finally set it, so called my primary care provider at local VA hospital; he told me to come in ASAP. After quick look, he put my ass in-patient and started vigorous treatment with 3 different IV antibiotics for cellulitis. Got discharged 12 days later; am am taking oral antibiotics, toddling around with a walker with near useless right foot (instant way to feel 20 years older!) and expect slow recovery. Cannot say enough good things about nursing staff at VA, nor enough bad things about vile hospital food. Nice to be home without IV ports in arms, 3am blood draws, etc...

Lesson Learned: If you even think you got bit by a brown recluse, get your ass to an emergency room at once. I was damn lucky; try a Google search to see what happens if one delays too much. ...and do not wear flip flops in evening outside.

Onward through the fog, Phil

Probably should start a new thread on this vile arachnid. Got bit on LR foot 15 days ago in the evening. Did not see nor feel the bite. Next morning felt flu-like symptoms and like someone cracked my shin with a nightstick. Foot was moderately swollen so took it easy. Foot still swollen next day but no major pain so continued power washing wooden walkways in back yard; started to get suspicious that something major wrong though and started to suspect brown recluse after talking with friends. Next day hurt like hell but still could walk on it with cane; common sense finally set it, so called my primary care provider at local VA hospital; he told me to come in ASAP. After quick look, he put my ass in-patient and started vigorous treatment with 3 different IV antibiotics for cellulitis. Got discharged 12 days later; am am taking oral antibiotics, toddling around with a walker with near useless right foot (instant way to feel 20 years older!) and expect slow recovery. Cannot say enough good things about nursing staff at VA, nor enough bad things about vile hospital food. Nice to be home without IV ports in arms, 3am blood draws, etc...

Lesson Learned: If you even think you got bit by a brown recluse, get your ass to an emergency room at once. I was damn lucky; try a Google search to see what happens if one delays too much. ...and do not wear flip flops in evening outside.

Onward through the fog, Phil

Day 10 got bitten by the same spider :( Day10.jpg

Fortunately, mine never got that ugly and ulcerated. But this is one (lots of expletives deleted) arachnid not to be messed with. According to IFAS, no breeding colonies have been found in FL - even though approx, 50 annecdotal bites are reported annualy in greater Tampa Bay area.