Cycads anyone?

Cycads anyone?

I just got involved with them about the last two years Dean. They're so darned expensive that I've had to start with seedlings. Little bit of everything... Encephalartos, Cycas, Macrozamia, Ceratozamia, Zamia. Most are still in pots. As they get to sufficient size, I find a place to put them in the ground. In general, they seem easier than I thought. I was a little worried at first. I've only lost a couple (to overwatering or too heavy soil).

I never caught the Encephalartos bug. I think it's because IMO they need more open, and sunnier exposure than I could give them in California. With overhead watering in California and being on the coast in a mostly shaded location, I had trouble with them rotting out.

The others you mentioned, Cycas, Macrozamia, Ceratozamia, and Zamia seemed to fit in better with the understory tropical look. Now that I am in Hawaii, I have begun to try the more tropical varieties and some are very nice. I'll get a few pics later today.

I gr a few. mainly, a few encephs. and Dioons, zamias in the shade. Some can be real expensive to buy. But a great group of plants.

I just got involved with them about the last two years Dean. They're so darned expensive that I've had to start with seedlings. Little bit of everything... Encephalartos, Cycas, Macrozamia, Ceratozamia, Zamia. Most are still in pots. As they get to sufficient size, I find a place to put them in the ground. In general, they seem easier than I thought. I was a little worried at first. I've only lost a couple (to overwatering or too heavy soil).

Yes, I've only been into them the last two years or so too. They can be expensive. I'm slowly adding to my collection. I just got some in today. I got a Cycas 'Nova Wililak' and Macrozamia communis. Part of the problem for me to is there are only a number of them that will do well in my climate.;)

Here are some photos. The first one is the 8 year old Cycas 'Nova Wililak'. I think they are expensive to because they can take a long time to grow.
100_7274.jpg

Here is the Macrozamia communis I got.
100_7272.jpg

Dypsisdean, you should be able to get away growing some tropical varities where you are.:D

I have 53 species in the ground. Like Dean said, it is a read mental gymnastics game when doing placement in SoCal. What goes where, what will happen when palms grow tall and shade them out, etc..

I d like to share some pictures I took from Zamia fairchildiana, close to where I live in the South of Costa Rica.

The pictures were taken in Pavones, close by the ocean.Tropical climate, one month dry season.

These Zamias are endemic in CR and Panama.
I was just lucky I could photograph both male and female plants.

The pen is for indicating size.

Striking resemblance of the male cone with an ear of corn:confused:

Attachments

• Image1Zamia,  2 conos femeninos.jpg
    Image1Zamia, 2 conos femeninos.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Image1Zamia,  masculino.jpg
    Image1Zamia, masculino.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Image1Zamia, cono masculino.jpg
    Image1Zamia, cono masculino.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 291
Jose Maria,

Thanks for the pics. Costa Rica quickly became one of my favorite places after visiting there a few months ago. For anyone who enjoys beautiful plants and landscapes, it is a treasure chest.

I grow a few of these myself. It's one of my favotites. How long before the seeds are ready or dropping from the cones? Thank-you

Toko,
How long, I go to that place every two weeks, so Ill keep you posted.
When the seeds are ripe, the cone gets soft, and the seeds are embedded in a red mass, and can be squeezed out.Anyway, nature makes the cone fall apart so animals can disperse the seeds.
Last year I germinated a few,but as far as planting them , I dig up the small seedlings underneath, and plant them instead. Its a farm, and when they cut the grass, nobody looks out for the seedlings anyway.

I dont know about Hawaii restrictions on seeds, but if you want I ll send you some.

I cant imagine Zamias invading!

I read about the invading species in Hawaii, like Melastomes, they grow just fine here.

I guess they cant invade here,because there are no more "niches" available, and they are from here , so they have found natural checks like predators ,etc..

Saludos!

Attachments

• DSC03561.jpg
    DSC03561.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC03562.jpg
    DSC03562.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 284
I would be interested in getting seeds. Buy or trade for something. But I'm definitely interested in getting some, so please let me know. Thanks

Aloha Toko,
I would certainly get you the seeds, maybe in a month or so, I really dont know when they will ripen.And we want them as ripe as can be for good germination.

Trade for some palm seeds ( something from New Caledonia...?Australia...? nothing from Central America, we got plenty of those),something you got there will do fine.
I will send my adress in a private message.

Saludos

I had a friend(Jeff) in CR send me about 100 seeds of Z. fairchildiana a couple of months ago and got about 40 or so to germinate. Their now a 2 leaf seedling. My Z. skinneri's are coming into cone, so I will try to hand polinate it again and set some seeds. I did this 3 years ago and was able to collect a handful of seeds of which now I have some nice 1 gallon size plants, ready for the yard.

Jeff

Toko,

I dont know about Hawaii restrictions on seeds, but if you want I ll send you some.

I cant imagine Zamias invading!

I read about the invading species in Hawaii, like Melastomes, they grow just fine here.

I guess they cant invade here,because there are no more "niches" available, and they are from here , so they have found natural checks like predators ,etc..

Saludos!

The restrictions on the importing of seeds to Hawaii has as much or more to do with the introduction of of pathogens or insects along with the seeds. Many nurserymen have permits to import clean treated seed of various plants, including palms and cycads. And if I were to take a shipment of clean cycad seed to the Ag Dept, in all likelihood they would allow me to keep them.

It is the foliage, fruit, and flower or foliage that they are most worried about. I would request some seed, but just don't have the time to be growing cycads from seed.

I saw what I thought was a fascinating palm one day and found it is was a cycad and from then on I was a goner. I have 45 cycas zamias macrozamias encepholartus and a couple of things I cant remember. So who is going to die and leave me enough land so I can actually plant the million and one things here in pots ?
Peachy

Peachy,

At least you can get away with growing nice healthy cycads in pots for a long time - at least most of them. Here in Hawaii, when I put a palm in a pot it needs to be potted up in 6 months. So after a couple of years, they have to go in the ground or they just go downhill. Once over about 2 meters tall, affording potting soil to pot up, or digging large holes is just not in the cards. Cycads are much more forgiving in that regard.

I had a friend(Jeff) in CR send me about 100 seeds of Z. fairchildiana a couple of months ago and got about 40 or so to germinate. Their now a 2 leaf seedling. My Z. skinneri's are coming into cone, so I will try to hand polinate it again and set some seeds. I did this 3 years ago and was able to collect a handful of seeds of which now I have some nice 1 gallon size plants, ready for the yard.

Jeff
:)

Attachments

• Zamia fairchildiana 1.JPG
    Zamia fairchildiana 1.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Zamia fairchildiana 2.JPG
    Zamia fairchildiana 2.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 244
Got about 13 different species in pots or the ground here. Only one Cycas and that's a C debaoensis making a comeback after being put in the ground; a few Encephalartos that grew much larger than I thought they ever would (but if I knew 20 years ago what I know now....) plus some Zamias. They're a nice change from my usual palms and crotons.

C. taitungensis (Emperor Sago), its a male if you can't tell. :p
IMG_1885.jpgIMG_1884.jpg

Some pics of the cycads in the yard. For fall you cycad enthusiasts, check out the collection of cycads at the Kopsick Palm Arboretum in downtown St. Pete. About 75 different species.
Pic 1 - front yard: Z.angustifolia in foreground; Z. integrefolia behind; E. gratus frond
Pic 2 - E. gratus - about 20 years old
Pic 3 - two Zamia skinneri
Pic 4 - Z. integrifolia (nice - no stabbers, jabbers, thorns, etc)
Pic 5 -a mystery but the cone should help ID this one
Pic 6 - Dioon spinulosum in pot
Pic 7 - E. trispinosus in pot in full sun
Pic 8 - Bowenia spectabilis seedlings
Pic 9 - Bowenia serrrulata in pot (a favorite and eye catcher)
Pic 10 - Zamia amblyphyllidia - at least 15 years old
No pics yet of E. hildebrandtii, Stangeria sp., and a few other small ones.

Attachments

• DSCN4370.jpg
    DSCN4370.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN4371.jpg
    DSCN4371.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN4372.jpg
    DSCN4372.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN4373.jpg
    DSCN4373.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN4374.jpg
    DSCN4374.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN4375.jpg
    DSCN4375.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN4376.jpg
    DSCN4376.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN4377.jpg
    DSCN4377.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN4378.jpg
    DSCN4378.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN4379.jpg
    DSCN4379.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 208
Nice collection Phil, thanks for posting. Here is my Encephalartos ferox that claims quite a bit of garden space. Not a easy one to work around.
IMG_1887.jpgIMG_1890.jpg

...and it's only going to get bigger and bigger, Scott. Another plant that requires some forethought or planning for its mature size. (or if I only knew then what I know now...)