The 20th Annual Fall Searle 'Ganza! -●●●- October 5th, 6th, 7th – 12th, 13th, 14th - 2018

Palmarum

23/02/11
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &
The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 20th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza!

October 5th, 6th, 7th - 12th, 13th, 14th - 2018

The Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become exciting plant sales and a great way for Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall 'Ganza as I could. If you see something that you know should be included and it is missing, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Fall 2018 Schedule:
Friday, October 5th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 6th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, October 7th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...

Friday, October 12th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 13th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, October 14th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/
Jeff Searle: phone #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com

Directions:
The map below is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the area. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well. There has been considerable construction along I-75 so the exits near Sheridan Street and Griffin Road have been changed slightly since earlier in the year. Express lanes have been added to I-75, they may or may not make the trip faster.

scan0004.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:
For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the first morning of the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby staff member or volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Brochure holders along the main shade house sidewalk will have the booklets/sale lists on display. As soon as I have a basic draft list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.
Featured Plant Groups:
Palms:
Aroids: - Bromeliads:
Butterfly Plants: - Cycads: - Crotons:
Cordylines: - Ferns: - Heliconias and Gingers: - Orchids:
Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs, & Vines:
Landscape Ornamentals: - Tropical Fruit Trees:
Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and many more:
There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to Jeff or myself with your address.

Ganza_flyer_F18_b.jpg

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the mass of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

Ryan​

╠══════════════════════════════════╣​

I have the Croton list available for those who have been waiting for it...

Jeff is a little early with it this time, but he has been extra thorough when selecting plants and cultivars for the sale. He still might find more to pull, or he might add something at the last second, so the list stands at 95% complete. There is always that chance, as he likes to throw something special in the pot to surprise the collectors as they look through the selection. The list stands at 166 cultivars, not a record but close to it. There are a few new ones I had to add to the list for the first time...

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &
The Rainforest Collection ®

The 20th Annual Fall ‘Ganza
October 5th, 6th, 7th – 12th, 13th, 14th - 2018

Croton List

Croton Post List F18a.jpg

Croton Post List F18b.jpg

Ryan​

The first draft of the Palm & Cycad list is now available for viewing...

The list is early, and there is still time for more species to be added in the next two weeks. The list stands at 298 species and at least 400 sizes. I would place the list at 95% complete.

PalmCycad Post List F18a.jpg

PalmCycad Post List F18b.jpg

PalmCycad Post List F18c.jpg

PalmCycad Post List F18d.jpg

Ryan​

A modification to the ' Ganza Palm list, including some landscape palm species:

Additions:
Adonidia merrillii #15
Caryota mitis et al.
Dypsis leptocheilos #15
Dypsis sp. 'Orange Crush' #3
Oraniopsis appendiculata #7
Ptychosperma elegans et al.
Ptychosperma microcarpum #10
Ravenea rivularis #15
Rhapis excelsa et al.
Veitchia arecina et al.

Changes:
Copernicia baileyana var. 'Silver' size change #3 to #7

Redactions:
Areca ridleyana #7 ----
Coccothrinax acunana #1 ----
Dypsis nauseosa #3 ----
Dypsis pilulifera #3 ----

Ryan

A few more additions from Tuesday...

Additions 2:
Attalea cohune #7, #15
Areca vestiaria #15
Dypsis forficifolia 4in
Lanonia centralis 2in
Licuala sallehana #3
Dypsis ifanadianae 4in
Licuala mattanensis 'Mapu' 4in
Licuala orbicularis 2in

Ryan

Hi Anna,
The sale went really well. I did over 800 airlayers earlier this year so there was much to offer! I saw many palm and croton forum members and appreciate all that came out and supported us.

OMG, the Croton selection was outstanding. I'm limited on space, but I did get a few to squeeze in somewhere! A new one Judy suggested, Hallandale, an unusual orange/yellow.