This happened...

Laisla

07/05/13
I thought everyone might be interested in what happened to this Petra leaf that I decided to use as in a floral display when it broke off the plant. I wonder if it will develop into a new plant?

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 244
I have a Glen roof leaf that did the same thing.I have had it planted in a pot for the past two months.It is alive and has a vigorous root structure but has not produced any new leaves

Keep us posted. I will be curious to see if either of these develop into a new plant. I know this is not unusual with herbaceous plants, but not with woody plants. Granted I don't know exactly how the process of tissue culture works. It is cool to see the roots developing right out of the petiole, certainly would be great if you could propagate this easily.

According to research I did when writing an article for the Society newsletter about rooting crotons in water, a single leaf will grow roots, but it never develops a torso with new leaves, so it's a dead end. (A portion of a leaf can be used for tissue culture, which will propagate new plants, but this is best left to the experts, who have access to the sterile conditions and exotic chemicals required for this process).

My research went on to reveal that rooting cuttings in water is not a good idea either. The roots are too weak to make the transition from water to soil, so the failure rate for this method is very high.

According to research I did when writing an article for the Society newsletter about rooting crotons in water, a single leaf will grow roots, but it never develops a torso with new leaves, so it's a dead end. (A portion of a leaf can be used for tissue culture, which will propagate new plants, but this is best left to the experts, who have access to the sterile conditions and exotic chemicals required for this process).

My research went on to reveal that rooting cuttings in water is not a good idea either. The roots are too weak to make the transition from water to soil, so the failure rate for this method is very high.
Well I guess that won't be a very effective propagation method. Will be interesting to see how long the single leave stays alive, although it will be kind of useless since it will never grow into a new plant. I have no interest at trying my hands at tissue culture, I picture that being done in a lab not by the home gardener. Planning to try propagating some of my crotons by both air-layering and cuttings this summer. It is about time I brought some crotons to the auction so I am not just a buyer. Thanks for the info.

From the worksheet do not grow. There is no point of growth. Need a branch.

Just wondering...what if a nick is made in stem of rooted leaf? Might it just produce more roots? Or nothing.... Does anyone know if there are other plants whose leaves root, yet nothing comes of it? Wondering why nature would have that happen?

Just wondering...what if a nick is made in stem of rooted leaf? Might it just produce more roots? Or nothing.... Does anyone know if there are other plants whose leaves root, yet nothing comes of it? Wondering why nature would have that happen?

Nature has a lot of secrets in the world of plants, and trying to figure out why she allows this but not that is a good way to get a headache. Here's another mystery: why can some plants be fully propagated just by a leaf, such as African violets, begonias and some succulents? If only it were so simple for Crotons!