Missing Exotica

Marie Nock

04/07/09
I'm sorry to report that my best and largest Exotica is missing. I was going to show it to someone today and it was not there or anywhere else. I looked and relooked five times because it's hard to believe that someone would take a croton but I know this happened before to Plantnut when a landscape gardener took a number of her crotons. The Exotica was about 5 feet tall with 3 major heads. It's pictured in earlier days in the wiki. I'm not quite sure when it was removed. I'm posting in case you see a large Exotica somewhere that's newly planted, I'd like to know about it.

Wow ,that is terrible news.I have not heard about anything like this happening in many years.Hopefully it will turn up but I am sure you have looked everywhere :(

Sorry to hear that it is missing. Having visited you a few times, it seems like they would need to be pretty familiar with how your crotons are set up to be able to find it and take it without being noticed. I think I would get lost in your beautiful maze of plants. If I remember correctly the yard is fenced and I had thought you had a guard dog. They must really want that plant to take a chance. I was hoping to open up my gardens for a tour and auction some time but this makes me a bit nervous because I don't have either a fence or a guard dog. I have never had anything taken from my yard and this would make me paranoid. I am still waiting to have an Exotica I can afford at the auctions, but maybe I will be better off without it. Granted the people who visit my gardens don't know Exotica from Petra, so probably would not know its value and rarity. The armadillos are what will be the death of me. Paid close to $500 to have them trapped and removed for a month and they quickly showed back up. I can't keep up with the cayenne pepper to keep them away, annoying and destructive little critters. I hope you find out what happened to your Exotica.

I'm sorry to report that my best and largest Exotica is missing. I was going to show it to someone today and it was not there or anywhere else. I looked and relooked five times because it's hard to believe that someone would take a croton but I know this happened before to Plantnut when a landscape gardener took a number of her crotons. The Exotica was about 5 feet tall with 3 major heads. It's pictured in earlier days in the wiki. I'm not quite sure when it was removed. I'm posting in case you see a large Exotica somewhere that's newly planted, I'd like to know about it.
So sorry to hear this, Marie! This is awful news. I have seen your plant during past visits and will certainly keep an eye open on my travels.

Marie, I was both saddened and angered upon reading your post this morning. My initial thoughts are that the plant has indeed been stolen out of your property, and I can only hope to be proven wrong in that summation. If that is indeed the case, as growers and collectors, it is completely contrary to what we do, and why we do it. I get perturbed upon hearing about theft on any given day, but considering the history of this plant, and how much it has done for both the official and unofficial croton society, it really gets under my skin. I will gladly offer you my Exotica that I have in a 1 gallon pot if you need or want it. If it wasn't for you, the plant wouldn't be in Florida, or most likely the continental US. If it wasn't for Lamar, I wouldn't have the plant myself. We share our passion and enthusiasm for plant life. Whether it is at a nursery, a plant sale, auction, trading, or just gifting, it is always about getting the plants out there to be grown, admired, and passed on for future generations. I sincerely hope that this unfortunate mystery comes to a rapid conclusion.

Marie, people will steal anything. Years ago, my mother had some rose bushes in her front yard [ PLANTED ] and one night someone came in her fenced yard and stole them.

Marie is responsible for me really getting serious about collecting crotons. She would be the first person I would go to if I was trying to find a hard to get cultivar and she knew where every plant was on her property. I don't know the stories behind all of the rare crotons, but know many of my favorites were developed or brought back from Hawaii by Marie. I did not know the significance of the Exotica that was taken, but the person who took that plant has crossed a line that true croton aficionados would never cross. I still assume it had to be someone who had been there and knew where it was. A landscaper that is in it for the money and needing a plant for someone with big bucks who has no appreciation for the importance of those growers who are keeping as many different croton varieties preserved as possible. When I finally have some of my own seedlings worthy of being named, I know who will be one of the first people I will share with to be sure they remain around in the event that the parent plants don't survive. I wish like Tim that I had an Exotica that I could offer, but would rather have someone find Marie's plant before someone has a chance to ruin it.

That is so wrong, you and Steve work hard to have a very nice property and business. I have had several cuttings taken but to come on your property and remove a large plant is the work of more than an enthusiast/collector. I think you might look at a landscaper with a couple of helpers with him/her. I have multiples of lots but not that one. Keep up the good work and march on Marie.

Thank you all for sharing my outrage. I still have a couple of smaller Exoticas so will continue to grow it - thanks Tim for the offer but I have it. As Karl said we do take precautions with a fence, guard dog and often a locked gate but someone determined to get around our precautions could do so. I think the person who took the Exotica knew what it was; there are many other beautiful plants that would have been easier to take if they just wanted a croton. Because it would stand out in anyone's garden, it will be good to have all of your croton eyes on the lookout. I have decided to file a police report; the Pinecrest Polide Dept. handled the other croton theft in this community and did get a confession.

I was just out looking around the yard again because I'm still incredulous. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it. Please be watchful of your plants.

Marie, I thought you might be interested in another member's experience as documented in the November 2009 Society newsletter:

Attachments

• Grand theft.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 378
Marie, I thought you might be interested in another member's experience as documented in the November 2009 Society newsletter:
Perry Edge tell us where you can read all the issues of these documents. It's very interesting to me. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that it is missing. Having visited you a few times, it seems like they would need to be pretty familiar with how your crotons are set up to be able to find it and take it without being noticed. I think I would get lost in your beautiful maze of plants. If I remember correctly the yard is fenced and I had thought you had a guard dog. They must really want that plant to take a chance. I was hoping to open up my gardens for a tour and auction some time but this makes me a bit nervous because I don't have either a fence or a guard dog. I have never had anything taken from my yard and this would make me paranoid. I am still waiting to have an Exotica I can afford at the auctions, but maybe I will be better off without it. Granted the people who visit my gardens don't know Exotica from Petra, so probably would not know its value and rarity. The armadillos are what will be the death of me. Paid close to $500 to have them trapped and removed for a month and they quickly showed back up. I can't keep up with the cayenne pepper to keep them away, annoying and destructive little critters. I hope you find out what happened to your Exotica.

Karl, to get rid of an armadillo, you have to think like an armadillo
armadillo.JPG

[QUOTE = "Perry Edge, post: 61170, участник: 326"] Карл, чтобы избавиться от броненосца, вам нужно думать как броненосца [ATTACH = full] 36797 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]
Here is so paranoia you have!))))) Is so plagued by spider mites.