Vero Beach Crotons 2016

Finished.JPG
Firecracker.JPG
Flamingo.JPG

Finished, Firecracker, and Flamingo.

Your crotons are looking great, Phil. Especially love that Cameo and Amabile!
The Cameo and Amabile are two that are not phased by the heat or drought and both get intense sun for a good part of the day. Need to add my garden to the list of potential auction sites, maybe for fall of 2018. Thanks, Karl

Randy Unknown.JPG
Randy Unknown 2.JPG
Randy Unknown 3.JPG

These were three unknowns that I got from Randy. The middle one had a tag from Jeff but I could not make out the name. Let me know if they look familiar.

Unknown.JPG
Yellow Fever.JPG

The top photo is an unknown that I got from either David, Marie, or Jeff (leaves are very large). The second is Yellow Fever (photo is a bit washed out).

Karl, to me, your Helen Edge looks like Buddy, and your Buddy looks like Helen Edge. I wish someone else would give their opinion. Anyone? I don't want to be a nuisance. Is it possible the tags could have gotten mixed up?

Karl, to me, your Helen Edge looks like Buddy, and your Buddy looks like Helen Edge. I wish someone else would give their opinion. Anyone? I don't want to be a nuisance. Is it possible the tags could have gotten mixed up?

Ana and Karl, I thought the same thing. Just didn't get to post it.

It is definitely possible I got them mixed up when I put them in the garden. Looking at the pictures on the wiki I can see that they do look like they could be opposite what I had thought. Both of them have really colored up and started to take on their true appearance. It is good that you and Marie both noticed that. I want to be sure I have the names correct. Thanks, Karl

Ana and Karl, I thought the same thing. Just didn't get to post it.
I went out to explore the gardens this morning and it is obvious I got them mixed up. When I planted them I obviously put them in the opposite locations than I had planned. They both seem happy where they are, so it was meant to be. I always wondered why my Buddy was so brightly colored and Helen Edge not as nice as everyone else, now I know why. Thanks again.

Here are a few from photos I took today.

ADF #9.JPG

ADF 9 which I got from Hawaii is finally starting to color up nicely.

Blotched Rubens New.JPG

Blotched Rubens pushing new growth.

Captain Gilbert Cutler New.JPG
Captain Gilbert Cutler Close.JPG

A couple of pictures of Captain Gilbert Cutler.

A few new photos.
Claude Lorraine New.JPG

Claude Lorraine with more sun after having the plants around it knocked down.
Freckles Hawaiian.JPG

Freckles from Hawaii.
David Seedling Maybe.JPG

A plant from David that I got about a year ago that was either a seedling or small cutting. Starting to really color up.
Trinidad Interrupted October.JPG

Trinidad Interrupted.
Tropical Feel October.JPG

Tropical Feel.

Best Hawaiian October.JPG

Best Hawaiian coloring up with more light.
Bob Sabourne.JPG

Bob Sabourne Hybrid has become one of my favorites. Still small but pushing growth.
Butterball October.JPG

Can't help but update the photo of Butterball as it continues to push growth.
Candy Cane.JPG

Candy Cane came from Jeff in the spring and it has really colored up with more rain and cooler temperatures.
Colonel Lindberg New.JPG

This section of Colonel Lindberg looked especially bright.

Karl, your crotons are looking spectacular! Will you be coming down for the Ramble next weekend? Jose will be there and we'll have a number of crotons as well.

I'm thinking about going to The Ramble, Marie, for the first time ever! Not completely sure, though. Can't wait. Does anyone know if Butterball is the same as Buttercup? The latter is in the wiki and resembles Karl's Butterball. Any input from anyone? Is Buttercup not correct?

I'm thinking about going to The Ramble, Marie, for the first time ever! Not completely sure, though. Can't wait. Does anyone know if Butterball is the same as Buttercup? The latter is in the wiki and resembles Karl's Butterball. Any input from anyone? Is Buttercup not correct?

Ana, I hope you can make it to the Ramble. It's Fri. - Sun. from 9:30 - 4:30 each day. In addition to plants there are many other goodies as well as good food from around the world. It's also the perfect time of year to wander around Fairchild.

Re: Buttercup and Butterball - Karl mentioned that they were from the same seed batch according to David. No knowledge on the hybridizer.

Ana, I hope you can make it to the Ramble. It's Fri. - Sun. from 9:30 - 4:30 each day. In addition to plants there are many other goodies as well as good food from around the world. It's also the perfect time of year to wander around Fairchild.

Re: Buttercup and Butterball - Karl mentioned that they were from the same seed batch according to David. No knowledge on the hybridizer.
I think David and Lamar would know the hybridizer because they both have Butterball and I believe got it from the person who created it. It was a familiar name but I can't remember who it was. They are different plants, but Butterball seems to hold the yellow better on older leaves based on the photos. I am also hoping to get to the Ramble bright and early Saturday morning. I need to get the car checked and the air conditioning is a bit off, so if it costs a significant amount it will limit my spending ability for new plants.

Drat. Not sure anymore about being able to go to the Ramble. It seems every year something comes up to nix it. I'm still a little hopeful though. Marie, thanks for your knowledge, and you too, Karl.

I think David and Lamar would know the hybridizer because they both have Butterball and I believe got it from the person who created it. It was a familiar name but I can't remember who it was. They are different plants, but Butterball seems to hold the yellow better on older leaves based on the photos. I am also hoping to get to the Ramble bright and early Saturday morning. I need to get the car checked and the air conditioning is a bit off, so if it costs a significant amount it will limit my spending ability for new plants.

Thanks, Karl. Maybe one of them will enlighten us!

I got Butterball in a trade with Tampa Ray former Croton Society member and officer. If you can reach him I sure he would have Id information.

Butterball i believe was a seedling from i dont know who . i got mine from the down south auction 2 year ago it said butterball seedling

Now I am not sure who told be that Buttercup and Butterball were both seedlings from the same plant. Looks like their origin is going to remain a mystery for now.

Now I am not sure who told be that Buttercup and Butterball were both seedlings from the same plant. Looks like their origin is going to remain a mystery for now.
That could be true but they are seedlings,,,,,,.... Might have been Georges seedlings he did have 2 , i just won one of them . The green tag said Butterball seedling.