Quirko

annafl

Esteemed Member
One of the first crotons I got from Keith a few years ago- maybe four or five? I love it's cheery, bright yellow and green pattern and the accentuated oak leaf that resembles chicken feet. Not too many examples in the wiki. Mine had a lot of leaf drop last year with the drought, like many of my other crotons, but is starting to recover. Anyone else have this quirky cultivar?

Quirko.JPG
Quirko-Ana.JPG

I saw Randy's Quirko when I visited him and it immediately became a must have plant. Great color and leaf shape on your specimen. One of many I will be watching for at Jeff's sale or the auction and hopefully adding to my garden. You have some great unusual varieties. Do you know how many named cultivars you have? I am getting within reach of 300, so you must have well over that. I also have around 100 cordylines, but did a terrible job keeping track of them when I planted so have no idea what most of them are. Luckily I did a better job with the crotons (aside from the Buddy and Helen Edge mix up).

Love to see your photos.

I saw Randy's Quirko when I visited him and it immediately became a must have plant. Great color and leaf shape on your specimen. One of many I will be watching for at Jeff's sale or the auction and hopefully adding to my garden. You have some great unusual varieties. Do you know how many named cultivars you have? I am getting within reach of 300, so you must have well over that. I also have around 100 cordylines, but did a terrible job keeping track of them when I planted so have no idea what most of them are. Luckily I did a better job with the crotons (aside from the Buddy and Helen Edge mix up).

Love to see your photos.

Thanks, Karl. Quirko is really bright and cheery and I do love the leaf shape. You are way ahead of me in collecting! I am not a real collector. It's just that I like a lot of plants! I get only the ones I like for landscaping reasons, and not any others for the sake of collecting, usually, but there are some exceptions. I might have 100 different types of crotons, but I buy multiples of ones I like that are fairly common and easily accessible. I have Probably 10-12 Mrs. Icetons, Maybe the same of Eleanor Roosevelt, and maybe 5-6 Claude Lorraine that I propagated myself. I am working on clumps of Polychrome, and like that. I have several that I love that I'm working on propagating for clumps. That's why I usually don't have many for auctions. If I really like them, I usually just keep expanding the clumps I have. I really love to see what others have, though, and there's always placeholders that are begging to be replaced! I just have a few tis. Like you, I don't know what most of them are. I got a few logs this year from Hawaii and I'm waiting to see what they grow up to be! By the way, I'm so glad you are active on this forum. It's so nice to be able to share plants with others.

Thanks, Karl. Quirko is really bright and cheery and I do love the leaf shape. You are way ahead of me in collecting! I am not a real collector. It's just that I like a lot of plants! I get only the ones I like for landscaping reasons, and not any others for the sake of collecting, usually, but there are some exceptions. I might have 100 different types of crotons, but I buy multiples of ones I like that are fairly common and easily accessible. I have Probably 10-12 Mrs. Icetons, Maybe the same of Eleanor Roosevelt, and maybe 5-6 Claude Lorraine that I propagated myself. I am working on clumps of Polychrome, and like that. I have several that I love that I'm working on propagating for clumps. That's why I usually don't have many for auctions. If I really like them, I usually just keep expanding the clumps I have. I really love to see what others have, though, and there's always placeholders that are begging to be replaced! I just have a few tis. Like you, I don't know what most of them are. I got a few logs this year from Hawaii and I'm waiting to see what they grow up to be! By the way, I'm so glad you are active on this forum. It's so nice to be able to share plants with others.
Please let me know if there are any types of cordylines you are looking for (color, texture, size). I have found some to be much more vigorous than others. I chop down mine constantly and give them away. I would be happy to bring top cuttings to the next auction for you (most of mine came as little dried stem cuttings from Hawaii and about half ended up being decent plants). I never sell things but have Plantapalooza at school where I bring in hundreds of seedlings and cuttings for staff to add to their garden. I am a die hard collector with one of each plant. If I accidentally buy a croton I already have I get upset because I don't want to use up valuable space but also never want to throw out a nice plant. Your garden was gorgeous, like going to a park, and had plenty of variety so doing the mass plantings definitely worked well, mine is more like a botanical collection. I will get some more photos when I have a chance to show some cordylines, but recently cut most of them back to trade with someone who sells mostly aroids and heliconias. One of these days I will start propagating the crotons so I have something for the auctions.

Karl, you are a very generous guy! When I said 'share', I meant just to show each other photos of our plants and comment. There are no longer a lot of comments on the forum, so it's nice to 'share' my plants with you! However, maybe we can trade some tis or crotons in the future! They are plants that seem to go well together. I am eager to see your garden and I hope we can have an auction there soon. Most every time you post, I see things in the background I want to see more of. I bet your garden is a botanical wonder!

Karl, you are a very generous guy! When I said 'share', I meant just to show each other photos of our plants and comment. There are no longer a lot of comments on the forum, so it's nice to 'share' my plants with you! However, maybe we can trade some tis or crotons in the future! They are plants that seem to go well together. I am eager to see your garden and I hope we can have an auction there soon. Most every time you post, I see things in the background I want to see more of. I bet your garden is a botanical wonder!
Hi Ana, sorry for the wording. I got that you were talking about sharing photos and info., I just got excited when you mentioned having cordylines because it is something I can easily propagate and share. I always feel a bit guilty that I have not started bringing any of my own crotons to the auctions or shared anything so figured at least cordylines I can give away to anyone who wants them. Thanks Karl

Hi Ana, sorry for the wording. I got that you were talking about sharing photos and info., I just got excited when you mentioned having cordylines because it is something I can easily propagate and share. I always feel a bit guilty that I have not started bringing any of my own crotons to the auctions or shared anything so figured at least cordylines I can give away to anyone who wants them. Thanks Karl

I feel the same way. I don't contribute a lot to the auctions, but then, there are so many plants at the auctions that it's probably for the best!