Wiki photo entries 2017

"Boca Pink" - this variety has been around for a while and there's no entry in the Wiki for it. Currently being grown by several large nurseries in our area. I've personally sold 3 or 4 at auctions and I'm told it's not that rare a variety.

IMG_1583.JPG

Today's entries:

Tickled Pink- Ricky Ginsburg and Mike Woolery
* It turns out I had created this page as Tickled Pink long ago when Ron Kiefert showed some photos. Mike Woolery apparently found and named this croton.

Today's entry:

Pride of Naples- David King

I have in my notes that this was originally called Finished, a Rudy Bachman hybrid and his last one. When someone started calling it Pride of Naples they knew it had another name but didn't know what it was.

Marie your picture in the Wiki of Finished is a totally different than this picture here of David's plant (imo) does it change as it grows into a mature plant and get the red back color.

Marie your picture in the Wiki of Finished is a totally different than this picture here of David's plant (imo) does it change as it grows into a mature plant and get the red back color.[/QUOTE

Lamar, a number of my crotons look different than David's. Fertilizer, light, soil, water, temps? I'm just passing on croton lore which unfortunately is not written and passed orally from one memory to another. I wish I could remember the source.

I have in my notes that this was originally called Finished, a Rudy Bachman hybrid and his last one. When someone started calling it Pride of Naples they knew it had another name but didn't know what it was.

Marie, thanks so much for checking on what I'm doing! I really would like the wiki to be an accurate documentation, so I don't want to make mistakes. I'd also like to add any bits of history that are available before we all forget! This is one I've never seen nor know anything about. I can see that the plants look the same. Do you think I should I combine the pages and say they are all 'Finished', or should I keep separate pages and say some people have it under 'Pride of Naples'? I can also make a comment that they have been tagged as different names but they're likely the same.

Marie, thanks so much for checking on what I'm doing! I really would like the wiki to be an accurate documentation, so I don't want to make mistakes. I'd also like to add any bits of history that are available before we all forget! This is one I've never seen nor know anything about. I can see that the plants look the same. Do you think I should I combine the pages and say they are all 'Finished', or should I keep separate pages and say some people have it under 'Pride of Naples'? I can also make a comment that they have been tagged as different names but they're likely the same.

Ana, let's wait and see if anyone else weighs in with similar information. Then they could be listed separately as aka.

I have both P of N and Finished in the Keys. The yellow on P of N is a mustard color with a maroonish ? Color on the underside. I have not noticed that on my Finished but I will check the next time I go down.

I believe i got my plant from Jeff Its about 6ft now .Its colrs are quite vivid . It getws about 4 hrs of afternoon sun...It was labeled P of N
007.JPG

I have a Finished that I got at Ron's auction a year and a half ago that does not have any red on the bottom of the leaves aside from on the midrib of older leaves. It is good sized now so I need to post a photo for comparison. I know crotons are so variable so I don't know how much the color of the bottom of the leaves matters. Mine definitely looks like the photos of Finished on the Wiki but if I had not seen the bottom of the leaves I would probably not be able to tell them apart from each other. When I saw David's Pride of Naples in person I would not have thought they could be the same plant as his was much more colorful then my Finished, but I have seen plenty of crotons that look completely different from those in my gardens and I am sure they were the same cultivars. I think I will just call mine Pride of being Finished from now on.

Today's entries:

Bob Alonzo (Halgrim's)- Marie Nock and Tim O'Donnel
Connie Cutler- Mike Woolery
Richard Krukonis- Mike Woolery
Tan Wi Kiat- Mike Woolery

***Anyone have any further thoughts on Finished and Pride of Naples?

Today's entries:

Rubens- Mike Woolery
Sturrock's Pink Veitchii- Mike Woolery
Exeter- Mike Woolery
John Criswick- Mike Woolery *** I hate to be a stickler, but to me, Randy's and Mikes plants look different than Marie and Jose's plants. Does anyone think the same?

*** Mike, other people besides you have Cotton Candy, right? It seems I've been hearing about this plant for a couple of years. Please let me know.

Today's entries:

`John Criswick- Mike Woolery *** I hate to be a stickler, but to me, Randy's and Mikes plants look different than Marie and Jose's plants. Does anyone think the same?

*** Mike, other people besides you have Cotton Candy, right? It seems I've been hearing about this plant for a couple of years. Please let me know.

Ana, thanks for being a good gatekeeper and checking. I think they are all John Criswick - light makes a huge difference with this cultivar. I think Randy may have gotten his plant from me and mine came directly from John Criswick.

I have Cotton Candy and it is slooooooow. Mine came from Mike but I guess it's not around more because of its slow growth rate.

I remembered the story on Randy's plant after I wrote the response above. John Criswick brought me 2 cuttings of John Criswick. one for me and one for Jesse Durko. I rooted them and took Jesse's to him along with a number of other nice crotons. A few month later Randy found some crotons at Jesse's that he bought and in the bottom of the pot found the Ree Gardens tag. Along with John Criswick he also found a Pink Lei with our tag buried inside.

Ana, thanks for being a good gatekeeper and checking. I think they are all John Criswick - light makes a huge difference with this cultivar. I think Randy may have gotten his plant from me and mine came directly from John Criswick.

I have Cotton Candy and it is slooooooow. Mine came from Mike but I guess it's not around more because of its slow growth rate.

Thanks, Marie. I don't know why, but the two John Criswicks look a little different to me. I'm sure it's difficult to tell from photos. It's a gorgeous plant. So is Cotton Candy. I will make a page for it soon.

Today's entries:

Rubens- Mike Woolery
Sturrock's Pink Veitchii- Mike Woolery
Exeter- Mike Woolery
John Criswick- Mike Woolery *** I hate to be a stickler, but to me, Randy's and Mikes plants look different than Marie and Jose's plants. Does anyone think the same?

Yes I have shared Cotton candy with Tim and Marie.It is slow but I hope to make another layer this year.My JC was from Randy who picked his up from Jesse many years ago.Mine gets lots more sun than the others I have seen.