Vero Beach Crotons 2016

VeroKarl

10/02/15
I know it is well past time to post some updates on what my crotons are looking like now so here we go.

Fishbone.JPG

Fish Bone

Tropical Feel.JPG

Tropical Feel

Applause.JPG

Applause

More to Come

Karl your crotons are beautiful. I'll be anxious to see all of those new ones incorporated into your landscape. Marnie
Thanks Marnie. I really feel like I hit the jackpot (of course that is still one croton I need to add), with the crotons I came home with. Some are large enough to have an immediate impact. I will continue to add pictures as I go and include some of the new crotons once they settle in. I did not keep track of who all of them were from, so need to go back and check the tags to try to add that to my master list.

Looking good Karl, I dont believe we ever had a croton meeting in vero-- just saying---
Hi Keith. Give me a year for the gardens to finish recovering from Matthew and if they are looking decent I would be happy to invite the croton crew to Vero. Not a huge yard, but should have enough space for an auction and sale area. That way the crotons could go right from the auction/sale into the garden.

Last few for now.

Unknown.JPG

Unknown (I believe I either got this from Jeff or Marie last fall, but none of the names match up). Please let me know if you know it.

Doris.JPG

Doris (terrible picture, I need to take another to show how great it really is)

Rudy Bachman.JPG

Rudy Bachman

Unnamed Seedling from Ron.JPG

This is an unnamed seedling from Ron at his auction. Nice colors, but seems similar to other varieties that are named.

Karl.....boy your off and running for sure! I love it. You really have some nice ones coming on and Keith nailed it, maybe a meeting in the future. I question your Applause, it looks too different with all the pinks, and the lack of orange which is the dominant color for this variety. What do others think? Either way, thanks for posting and coming this past weekend.

Karl, what a collection you have already.... and everything looks beautiful! I, for one, would love to see it in person someday. No pressure, just someday. Love how you've added anthuriums, alocasias and philodendrons. Is that Bob See I see? Beautiful. I agree with Jeff. That doesn't look like Applause to me either. It's even prettier. Love the pinks.

Karl, you're a fabulous croton grower. Your plants look fantastic! You may have gotten your Applause from me, mine have always tended to the pinks and fuschias. I've never seen a fuller Amabile. Good for you!

Karl, you're a fabulous croton grower. Your plants look fantastic! You may have gotten your Applause from me, mine have always tended to the pinks and fuschias. I've never seen a fuller Amabile. Good for you!
Hi Marie,
Yes, I went back to check and the Applause did come from you back in 2012. It was one of the first batch I had gotten from you when I visited after meeting you at Fairchild. The older leaves do have the reds that I saw in Anna's plant but it seems to get brighter pink every year. The leaves are also smaller than Anna's. It is in a sunny, hot, and rather dry spot, but seems to be happy. Beautiful plant. The Amabile was one of the plants I got from you last fall during the Ramble at Fairchild. I got some really interesting plants that you had recommended and are now highlights in the gardens. I can always count on getting some exciting plants from you that are not readily available elsewhere.
Any idea what the unknown plant in the last batch is. I am sure it was a named variety that must have come from you, Jeff, or David last fall. It is the only one I don't have the name for. Not a great photo, a bit blurry, but you can get the idea of the colors. Let me know if it looks familiar. Thanks, Karl

Karl.....boy your off and running for sure! I love it. You really have some nice ones coming on and Keith nailed it, maybe a meeting in the future. I question your Applause, it looks too different with all the pinks, and the lack of orange which is the dominant color for this variety. What do others think? Either way, thanks for posting and coming this past weekend.
Hi Jeff, I was doubting the Applause as well because it looked so different from the one in Anna's garden, but after having Marie recognize it and knowing I got it from her, it seems like it is just a very pink version. I would certainly not trust my own identification skills if I was not sure it was the plant I got from Marie with that name. It is one of the many plants I need to try my hand at air-layering in the spring to share at the next auction. Which is one of the reasons I don't like to bid against some of the master croton propagators when I see that they really want a plant at the auction. I know the plant will find its way back to another auction in the future for me to bid on again. Thanks, Karl

Karl, what a collection you have already.... and everything looks beautiful! I, for one, would love to see it in person someday. No pressure, just someday. Love how you've added anthuriums, alocasias and philodendrons. Is that Bob See I see? Beautiful. I agree with Jeff. That doesn't look like Applause to me either. It's even prettier. Love the pinks.
Hi Anna, Many of the philodendrons I have were either unnamed from botanical gardens or just had the species name. Crotons, cordylines, and aroids are the main things I have focused on with my collection. Let me know if there are any philodendrons you are looking for, because if I happen to have them I am happy to bring cuttings along next time we meet up. I enjoy sharing anything I have that is easy to propagate. Unfortunately many of the variegated philodendron cultivars have not been stable, but some hold their color and are very showy. I have a large bright orange variety, which I believe is called Orange Marmalade, that is climbing up my largest live oak. The new growth is spectacular. Thanks Karl

Beautiful Carl, we get to Vero a couple of times a year. We grew up their and visit old friends, sorry you just got added to the list. I will bring some plants and bribe the guards. Best wishes great pictures TK 's

Karl, I wonder if your unknown one is Rose Charmer? What do others think?
I will try to get a better photo over the weekend. Rose Charmer does not sound familiar, but it is possible I got it without knowing the name. Wish I could say for sure who I got it from, but I really don't have any idea. I just know that all the crotons in that area were put in about the same time. Thanks Marie

Here are some updated photos of the crotons from this morning.

Applause New.JPG

Applause (From Marie with more Pink)

Blotched Rubens.JPG

Here is the Blotched Rubens I got at the last auction. I believe it was from the Glocks. It just keeps getting better. Love it!
Fishbone New.JPG

Fishbone with bright yellow new growth.

Mackenzie New.JPG

Here is MacKenzie with a new of the Hawaiian cordylines. The crotons are looking good this time of year, the cordylines not so much.

Keeping it going with 4 more.

Colonel Lindberg New.JPG

Colonel Lindberg surrounded by aroids.

Harvest Moon and Roseo Pictus New.JPG

Here is Harvest Moon and Roseo Pictus (about the same as last time I posted the photo).
Pink Nestor.JPG

Nestor (Pink variety I got from David with much better color than my old Nestor).

Jose Seedling.JPG

Here is the colorful seedling I got from Jose at the last auction.

Playboy.JPG

Playboy with Waterfall in the background and a variegated Heliconia in front.

Waterfall New.JPG

Here is another angle showing Waterfall and soon it will have Ashley King next to it. Need to go out and dig up some variegated shampoo ginger to make room.

Trinidad Interrupted New.JPG

In front of Waterfall is this Trinidad Interrupted with anothe Hawaiian cordyline (did not put the name tags next to them when I planted so have no idea which is which) and next to it is a Golden Xanadu philodendron.

Yellow Mammie.JPG

Here is Yellow Mammie with a Soft Caress Mahonia that has started to drop leaves but hopefully it will survive. This is my first Mahonia since living in Florida, but had good luck with them back in RI.

Matchstick.JPG

Here is a favorite that I got in the sale area at the 2015 Fall Auction. It was called Matchstick, but not sure who I got it from. It is a great tiny little croton. I need to find more small cultivars like this to go in front of other plants.

Moose Seedling.JPG

This was Ron's seedling from the 2015 auction, continuing to color up nicely.

Green Dragon Hazard New.JPG

This is Green Dragon or Hazard which I got from Marie at the 2015 Fall Ramble. Looks like the Thai variety I saw at David's so wanted to put another picture of it. Would be a nice one to add to the Wiki if we can confirm the name. Another one of the Hawaiian cordylines next to it. They keep changing as they mature and color up.
The Princess.JPG

Here is another photo of Princess Eugenia.

King of Siam.JPG

King of Siam.

Irresistible.JPG

Here is Irresistible. In a bit of a dark location so not as bright as it could be. I need to air-layer this once I get a quick lesson on how to do it.
Polychrome.JPG

Polychrome is getting big. Another plant that needs to be air-layered.

Mystery Plant.JPG

Here is a better photo of the plant from above that I can't figure out what it was. Marie had said maybe Rose Charmer. I am hoping this will help to get it identified.

Amabile New.JPG

Here is Amabile again. Such a unique cultivar.

Diane New.JPG

Diane fully recovered from getting run over by a golf cart a couple of years ago. The towels next to the croton are covering the root system of a fragrant Magnolia blown over during Matthew and still waiting for the tree service to come and prop it and stake it.

Shady Lane and More.JPG

Here is Shady Lane with Helen Edge to the left and Tiffany behind her. The variegated banana that was knocked over by Matthew is sending out some nice pups. There are also a few of the Hawaiian cordylines in the photo.
Nancy Reagan.JPG

Nancy Reagan with a tiny little President Reagan to the right that is taking its time to settle in.

Duke of Windsor.JPG

Duke of Windsor. David had some beautiful examples that made me go out and take another look at mine.

Franklin Roosevelt.JPG

Franklin Roosevelt.
Monarch and Victoria Golden Bell.JPG

Monarch has really colored up nicely after the tree that was shading it took a beating from Matthew. Next to it is Victoria Golden Bell, which was one of my first crotons.

Yellow Johanna Coppinger and Van Buren New.JPG

I took a similar picture that is found earlier in this thread, but Van Buren and Yellow Johanna Coppinger are looking really good right now.

Duncan Macaw.JPG

Here is the Duncan Macaw that I believe there is a picture of on the Wiki.

Firecracker.JPG

This is a plant I got from Mark Peters a few years ago as Firecracker. It seems to be similar in appearance to the Cascade I brought home from David. Neither of them are on the Wiki so I don't know if they are the same plant or just similar.

Tiger Eye New.JPG

Have to include another photo of Tiger Eye because it is such a beautiful plant. Got it from Marie on her recommendations and it just keeps getting better.

Irene Kingsley.JPG

Irene Kingsley. It has been slow to settle in, but is starting to show some nice color.

Christmas.JPG

Need to include Christmas. Has been producing seeds and have a few tiny seedlings, so waiting for Christmas Part 2.

Cameo.JPG

Here is Cameo. It is a dry sunny spot so tends to get a bit washed out, but still kind of different.

Dayspring New.JPG

Dayspring is close by Cameo, but seems to really like the spot as it has colored up nicely.

Tan Wi Kiat New.JPG

Here is Tan Wi Kiat. A better picture than last time.

Captain Gilbert Cutler.JPG

Captain Gilbert Cutler with the newly planted Henry's Favorite from David next to it.

Compte de Germiny.JPG

Compte de Germiny keeps getting better every year. When I first got it the plant was mainly green with some subtle colors, but now it is a beautiful plant.

Rheedii.JPG

Rheedii.

Rudy Bachman.JPG

Rudy Bachman. Not nearly as nice as the ones David has.

David Mystery.JPG

Here is one from David that he did not know the name of. Any guesses?

Lamar.JPG

Here is one I got from Lamar at the recent auction. It did not have a name on it, so would love to know what it is.

Pop's Yard.JPG

Pop's Yard from Jeff in 2015. Still small but amazing colors.

Sybil Griffin New.JPG

A closer look at the Sybil Griffin I got from Marie in 2015. Doing great. I had gotten one several years ago that did not survive, but this plant is thriving and looking gorgeous.

Doris New.JPG

Doris needing to be air-layered.

Madam Butterfly New.JPG

Madam Butterfly also needing an air-layering to get a tighter plant.

Claude Lorraine.JPG

Claude Lorraine still recovering from having the top snapped off several months ago. I assume some type of critter was the culprit.

Pie Crust New.JPG

Pie Crust is still a favorite.

Karl, your plants are fabulous! What a great grower you are!
Marie, Let me know if you recognize the mystery plants above. I hope the new photo of what you thought might be Rose Charmer might help. The other two are the smaller plants from Lamar and David.
Thanks,
Karl

Karl, it was in a post a few days ago Voncilla Barley was the consensus. I took some many airlayers it got very confusing.