Nurseries in south florida that carry unusual croton varieties? i.e. polychrome

Littlegatorfarm

24/10/16
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to south florida, only been here a year. I run a small bromeliad nursery out of my backyard and I'm getting really into crotons recently. I have a large landscaping job I was hired for recently because of my experience with bromeliads. I'd like to accent some areas with some unusual croton varieties. This is a very shady area under a very large ficus tree, so it needs to be a shade lover. I really like the more pink and orange, especially the broad leaf kind. I think Polychrome fits the bill but no one seems to have it for sale. I even tried "peters crotons" which specializes in crotons and he said he doesn't have any.

Anyone on here know where I should look? Or does anyone have some for sale? Anyone know another variety that would work in place of polychrome that's easier to find? But doesn't look exactly like those ones you see everywhere?

I wonder if David has any ready, if you are closer to the Treasure Coast. If you have a chance to go and visit Jeff you won't be disappointed. I am kicking myself for missing the big fall sale. I started checking the forum this fall a few weeks too late. The Ramble at Fairchild and the Auction would be too other great opportunities. Just get ready to become addicted. I was late to the party and still have over 120 different varieties that I have collected in the past 5 years (maybe 200 after the auction ;)). Once you get a few crotons you can never stop.
Enjoy the forum. It is a great place to meet a wonderful group of croton addicts.
Karl

Yeah I'm already addicted to bromeliads and bamboo, and I'm ready to add cordylines and crotons to my list of vices.

I'm on the gulf coast actually, so there's a bit less action over here but I could see making the trip for a truckload of plants on occasion.

There may be some members on the Gulf Coast that would be able to help you out. Many of the best growers who I have dealt with and have a large selection are along the southeastern coast. There are several types of crotons that are somewhat similar in appearance to Polychrome and would have the same impact in a shady location. I am far from an expert, but many of the members on the forum are incredibly knowledgeable and could help you find the perfect varieties. When Fairchild Botanical Gardens has their fall plant sale you will likely find some of the members with some great, hard to find varieties for sale at a reasonable price. Any time I go, I am sure to stop by and see Marie Nock, who I have gotten some of my most beautiful crotons from. Jeff, who contacted you, also has one of the biggest selections when he has his big sale and he may be at the Ramble (he is another source of some of my favorite varieties). I was hoping to go, but don't think I am going to be able to have the time. The auction will give me my croton fix. I also have some local growers near Vero with a nice selection in David King and Mark Peters. You are definitely in the right place to learn from the best. When I got to 50 types I thought I was doing well, now my goal is 200. I have about 100 cordyline varieties as well, most from cuttings from Hawaiian growers. You just need to be patient with the cordyline cuttings, because I don't come close to having 100% survival but it is exciting seeing a 6 inch brown twig develop into a beautiful plant after a couple of years. Good luck with your search and if you have a chance to go and get a truckload check with Jeff, Marie, and David, go to the Ramble, or stop by the auction in Sarasota. The auction is where you would have a chance to meet just about everyone on the forum. I have only gone once so far, but it was well worth the trip and I can't wait for this weekend. Very friendly and inviting group that enjoy sharing their passion.

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to south florida, only been here a year. I run a small bromeliad nursery out of my backyard and I'm getting really into crotons recently. I have a large landscaping job I was hired for recently because of my experience with bromeliads. I'd like to accent some areas with some unusual croton varieties. This is a very shady area under a very large ficus tree, so it needs to be a shade lover. I really like the more pink and orange, especially the broad leaf kind. I think Polychrome fits the bill but no one seems to have it for sale. I even tried "peters crotons" which specializes in crotons and he said he doesn't have any.

Anyone on here know where I should look? Or does anyone have some for sale? Anyone know another variety that would work in place of polychrome that's easier to find? But doesn't look exactly like those ones you see everywhere?

There may be some members on the Gulf Coast that would be able to help you out. Many of the best growers who I have dealt with and have a large selection are along the southeastern coast. There are several types of crotons that are somewhat similar in appearance to Polychrome and would have the same impact in a shady location. I am far from an expert, but many of the members on the forum are incredibly knowledgeable and could help you find the perfect varieties. When Fairchild Botanical Gardens has their fall plant sale you will likely find some of the members with some great, hard to find varieties for sale at a reasonable price. Any time I go, I am sure to stop by and see Marie Nock, who I have gotten some of my most beautiful crotons from. Jeff, who contacted you, also has one of the biggest selections when he has his big sale and he may be at the Ramble (he is another source of some of my favorite varieties). I was hoping to go, but don't think I am going to be able to have the time. The auction will give me my croton fix. I also have some local growers near Vero with a nice selection in David King and Mark Peters. You are definitely in the right place to learn from the best. When I got to 50 types I thought I was doing well, now my goal is 200. I have about 100 cordyline varieties as well, most from cuttings from Hawaiian growers. You just need to be patient with the cordyline cuttings, because I don't come close to having 100% survival but it is exciting seeing a 6 inch brown twig develop into a beautiful plant after a couple of years. Good luck with your search and if you have a chance to go and get a truckload check with Jeff, Marie, and David, go to the Ramble, or stop by the auction in Sarasota. The auction is where you would have a chance to meet just about everyone on the forum. I have only gone once so far, but it was well worth the trip and I can't wait for this weekend. Very friendly and inviting group that enjoy sharing their passion.
GIVE ME A BUZZ ILL SEE what u need David 772-979-6068