Fall 2016 croton meeting/auction

Jim and I will be coming to see your garden, as well! He is giving up "Fantasy Fest " for a croton event for the second straight year! Looking forward to seeing everyone !

The Glocks, Searles and Tim OH MY!!! Were going to make this a party. Anna.....I hope your ready.

OK, so what's the rules on crotons one can bring? 5 plants? 10 plants?
Also, can we bring extras to put in a "For Sale Section"?
Food and drinks? Pot luck, everyone brings something?

The Glocks, Searles and Tim OH MY!!! Were going to make this a party. Anna.....I hope your ready.

OK, so what's the rules on crotons one can bring? 5 plants? 10 plants?
Also, can we bring extras to put in a "For Sale Section"?
Food and drinks? Pot luck, everyone brings something?

It all sounds great to me. I'm new at this, so help me out. Can we say 10 plants or is that too many? Of course, to the 'For Sale' section, and pot luck sounds perfect. I'm not a great cook and we don't own a grill, so I have to think about what will be offered for lunch.

Please everyone, spread the word to others that don't frequent this forum. I have no way of doing this from up here. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean, Kip. Are you talking about getting back on the same day? I've done it numerous times, as I've never missed a Searle Sale since I started with crotons about three years ago. I've also never missed a tour/auction down there. It's a long day, but very doable. I hate doing it when I'm by myself, which is the majority of the times, but now that Bert's retired, I expect there will be two of us to share the trip most times.

Anna - I wish I could have made the trip this time, but we'll be in Jamaica. Between Randy and I, we have at least 100 plants in pots that need to go somewhere else; many of mine are in 7-gallon. I'm thinking about inviting the gang to my garden in the early Spring for a swap and to reduce inventory, but one of these days I'll make the trip to see your garden... promise.

Hi Ana,

I clicked on your “Ana Bowers’s crotons in the landscape” thread again in order to enjoy your garden photographs and would like to know the names of the following two photos:

# 01 - the first batch of enlarged photos…pic # 05 that is very similar in shape to Disraeli but yellow and green in color and is located on the very left :confused:?

# 02 - the second batch of enlarged photos.. the first photo on the very left under a couple of bird feeders in the back-round? Perhaps Baron Rothchild or Bermuda Red… maybe other :confused:?

Many thanks and await your kind response… Robertico (Robert Heredia) :)

Anna - I wish I could have made the trip this time, but we'll be in Jamaica. Between Randy and I, we have at least 100 plants in pots that need to go somewhere else; many of mine are in 7-gallon. I'm thinking about inviting the gang to my garden in the early Spring for a swap and to reduce inventory, but one of these days I'll make the trip to see your garden... promise.

Ricky, I'm so sorry you can't make it, but wow, Jamaica! I know it's your favorite place to go, so I'm so happy you'll be having a wonderful time. I would love to see your garden, and the spring swap sounds great to me!

Hi Ana,

I clicked on your “Ana Bowers’s crotons in the landscape” thread again in order to enjoy your garden photographs and would like to know the names of the following two photos:

# 01 - the first batch of enlarged photos…pic # 05 that is very similar in shape to Disraeli but yellow and green in color and is located on the very left :confused:?

# 02 - the second batch of enlarged photos.. the first photo on the very left under a couple of bird feeders in the back-round? Perhaps Baron Rothchild or Bermuda Red… maybe other :confused:?

Many thanks and await your kind response… Robertico (Robert Heredia) :)

Hi Robert! Thanks for checking out my garden photos. In #1 that's Three Toes. It is not quite as developed as some, as it's still small, but starting to get its nice leaf shape. You were right about #2- Baron James De Rothschild. This last croton is suffering some leaf drop, as are many right now unfortunately, because of standing water from Hurricane Hermine a couple of weeks ago. The timing could not have been worse!

So, we agreed on October 29th. Should we say anytime after 10 a.m.? I think that's the usual? Then lunch around 12 noon, and auction around 12:30-1? There will be an area for plants for sale and any type of trading. Ten crotons max per person for auction? Is that too many? We'll be providing something as a main dish type thing for lunch (not sure what yet), and water, ice, cups, napkins, plates. Any other things I should be providing? Please let me know- others who have hosted before. If everyone brings some type of side or other dish, that would work great. Anyone who'd like to show plants they're bringing, please feel free to post on this thread!

Ana,
I was talking with Judy and Jim today, were excited about coming. We were just wondering if 10 plants per person would be too many plants and force the auction to go on for a lengthy time. We would like to maybe hear some input from others that are coming as well and you ultimately would have the last say. Also, we are against people "dropping" off plants for the auction/sale and do not come. I hope others will offer their thoughts and some suggestions. I will go along with the majority, we just want have fun come home with nice plants.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The time is getting near. I have a load of airlayers if you see anything u like I will bring and allow an offer to be made. As you can see I am covered up so if you can make sense of the photos let me know.
image.jpg

If it's the same as this plant, then it's called "Trinity Yellow". It was a seedling that grew at the Trinity Methodist Church on Andrews Avenue in Ft. Lauderdale. David McLean made dozens of cuttings from it and used it often in his landscapes.

IMG_1441.JPG

TKS I knew David well and got plants from him. He had a load of plants jammed it that little spot behind the church.

Hi Anna,

Would love to come and see your gardens and get some more great plants. The crotons I got at the last auction I went to in Miami have all been doing great. I hope to finally try my hand at air-layering in the coming spring, so don't have any plants to share this time. I was just in Sarasota as my mom and I found refuge there when Matthew hit the Treasure Coast. Please let me know if there is something I can bring (some type of food or drink) for the event, aside from plenty of cash to buy some amazing plants. Has been a very busy couple of years at work (teaching and running the external studies programs), but after giving up one of my positions I am finally able to put time into gardening again. After I finish cleaning up from the hurricane I will try to post some updated photos of the crotons. Thanks Karl

Hi Karl! So glad you'll be able to come and that you'll have more time to get reacquainted with crotons! I'll look forward to seeing updated photos of your plants. Bert and I will be providing pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, water, paper plates and plastic utensils. I'm hoping everyone who comes will bring a side dish or desert to round out our lunch meal. Soon I'll start sending my address by private message to all who plan on coming. If you don't hear from me in the next week or so, message me please! Feel free to invite friends and family who might enjoy the event. Having a six-month old pup, we prefer no dogs unless you really can't make other arrangements.

Even here, on the other coast, we felt the effects of the last two storms. Hermine brought a lot of standing water in several croton areas where we'd never previously had puddles. Unfortunately, the saturated ground and puddles resulted in leaf drop and leggy plants. With all our oaks, Matthew left a mess which was finally recently picked up. I hope all of you will forgive that the garden is not looking how I hoped it would, but the important part is getting together, seeing friends, and getting a few plants!

We are busy mulching, and I'm so looking forward to seeing all of you! If I need to be giving more details, please let me know. I'm obviously new at this. There is an empty lot next to our property, and our neighbors are graciously allowing us to use it for parking, so that should not be a problem.

Hi Anna, I will go the dessert route. It seems like you can never have too much dessert (maybe one of the cakes from TooJay's as they are always a big hit). I need to see if I have any plants to share. I have a low growing variegated heliconia (around 3 feet with occasional orange flowers, but the white variegation in the leaves is what makes it worth growing) that is slowly taking over one of my gardens. I need to dig out a bunch of that, so if anyone is interested maybe I will bring a box of rhizomes. I believe it is one of the cultivars from Thailand that is often on ebay. The tops got beat up pretty good, but it will grow back quickly from the rhizomes. I also have about 100 different cordylines, most of which I got as cuttings from Hawaii, but they look terrible from the storm so they will be better to share in the spring. Many of them broke off and I just threw them in the piles of debris since I did not have time to plant them, but they should all grow back. Many of the plants are already pushing new growth (including my variegated and red leaved banana trees which went over and needed to be cut way back to get them off of the crotons they landed on). Amazing how quickly plants recover. One of these days I will actually have crotons to share as well.

Looking forward to seeing your gardens and will have mom along for the trip.

My excitement is barely being contained over the upcoming croton auction/meeting at Ana's!!! I got a nice croton (and palm) fix at Searle's sale last week. My sister, Chris, and I will be coming over together. I will be bringing southern cole slaw.

I've messaged you, Ana, for your address. I hope it went through OK.

I'm gathering my crotons to bring. So far, I have a Nancy Reagan and Mrs. Snyder's Disraeli (and a couple that need I.D.) that look fine to bring. As always with me, I'm hoping there'll be some newbies in attendance as my contributions have pretty much been received from all the seasoned collectors. Yesterday, potted up several air layers and will give these a week or so to see if they progress enough to bring. Also put air layers on some of my sister's plants and hope to pot these up in the next few days as well. I will post some pics later in the week.

I'm interested in adding green/white varieties to my "moonlight garden," if anyone has any of these types to offer.

Looking forward to seeing you all and thanks to Ana in advance for hosting us!!!

Leslie

I've started sending the address and instructions out. If you don't receive it in a couple of days, please message me.

A couple of people have asked about the 5 plant auction restriction. Should we make it seven? So many people are traveling far, it seems they should be able to auction 7 of their plants. Or will it make it run too late? I think we can start the auction at 12 or 12:30. Opinions please. The for sale area has no restrictions, I don't think. Right? Whatever is ok with me.

I've started sending the address and instructions out. If you don't receive it in a couple of days, please message me.

A couple of people have asked about the 5 plant auction restriction. Should we make it seven? So many people are traveling far, it seems they should be able to auction 7 of their plants. Or will it make it run too late? I think we can start the auction at 12 or 12:30. Opinions please. The for sale area has no restrictions, I don't think. Right? Whatever is ok with me.
After missing Jeff's sale this fall and the last auction, I am looking forward to having plenty of choices whether it be with the auction or in the sale area, especially with the more uncommon crotons like what I got at the last auction. Will keep buying until I either buy more than can fit in my vehicle or run out of money (wish I had a van/truck). Do I remember correctly that the sales area opens after the auction?

After missing Jeff's sale this fall and the last auction, I am looking forward to having plenty of choices whether it be with the auction or in the sale area, especially with the more uncommon crotons like what I got at the last auction. Will keep buying until I either buy more than can fit in my vehicle or run out of money (wish I had a van/truck). Do I remember correctly that the sales area opens after the auction?

I'm OK with 7 for the auction.

Hi Anna,

Should we bring folding chairs? I remember bringing one for the last auction I went to. I can't wait to find out what crotons people are bringing. I think you had said to come at 10, but we may be a bit later coming from Vero. My goal is to arrive around 11, unless I will miss the tour, lunch, sales area, and auction by coming at 11.

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

I'm glad you are enthusiastic about the auction! I am too. We will play it by ear a little, but it's really a self-guided tour around the garden starting at 10, and I'll be around to answer questions or help with anything. I imagine we'll be eating by eleven thirty to noonish and starting the auction as soon after that as we are ready. We have a number of chairs and a few tables on the deck, as well as ledges to sit on for eating and auction, and our deck is about three feet off the ground, so some can sit on the edge of that also. If you feel you'd be more comfortable in a folding chair, please feel free to do so, but I think there will probably be enough creative areas to sit if need be. Bert and I will supply pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, water, ice, cups, plastic flatware and paper plates. I'm sure others will bring sides. Jeff has volunteered to be the auctioneer, and Phil, another auctioneer, will be coming too. By count so far there should be a bit over 30 coming. I'm hoping all of you will spread the word to those that may not frequent the forum that I have no way to contact. Please! I don't want to leave anyone out. You can bring 5-7 crotons to auction and any number to sell. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything!

Hi Karl,

I'm glad you are enthusiastic about the auction! I am too. We will play it by ear a little, but it's really a self-guided tour around the garden starting at 10, and I'll be around to answer questions or help with anything. I imagine we'll be eating by eleven thirty to noonish and starting the auction as soon after that as we are ready. We have a number of chairs and a few tables on the deck, as well as ledges to sit on for eating and auction, and our deck is about three feet off the ground, so some can sit on the edge of that also. If you feel you'd be more comfortable in a folding chair, please feel free to do so, but I think there will probably be enough creative areas to sit if need be. Bert and I will supply pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, water, ice, cups, plastic flatware and paper plates. I'm sure others will bring sides. Jeff has volunteered to be the auctioneer, and Phil, another auctioneer, will be coming too. By count so far there should be a bit over 30 coming. I'm hoping all of you will spread the word to those that may not frequent the forum that I have no way to contact. Please! I don't want to leave anyone out. You can bring 5-7 crotons to auction and any number to sell. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything!

Anna,

Thanks for the update. I am sure I will be fine with seating. I can sit anywhere, but might need to find someplace for my mom to sit when she has had enough crotons for one day and is ready to read her book. I will definitely bring some dessert item and will see if I can find any plants to share even if they are not not crotons (not for the auction just to give away). I know Mark Peters had said he was planning to come, but assume he has already checked in with you. I don't have many other croton enthusiasts that I run into in Vero, so will be enjoying my time on Saturday to catch up. Thanks and I will keep my eyes open for any new updates over the week.

Will be bringing the following for auction or sale (S):
John Soar - 3 gal, 3 ft tall
Geisha Girl - 3 gal
Willie/Reliance - 2 gal (S)
Claude Lorraine - 3 gal (S)
Lucille Alonzo - nice 1 gal
Joanna Roof - 3 gal (S)
Cornelius Halgrim - 3 gal
Seminole Queen - 3 gal (S)
Col. Gilbert Cutler - nice big 3 gal
Earlscourt - 2 gal

cant wait for the meeting, It will be nice to see everyone again. Im in bad need of some 6 inch azalea pots. I need to pot up some bromeliads. If anyone has a source for them, and can bring a box to the meeting-- send me a pm

I'm interested in going if I can make it in time. I'm about 2 hours away, and I think I'm busy until 1pm or so. Not sure how late this will go.