Monstera Fruit.

Stan

17/04/14
I cut this one today. Its going into a paper bag with an apple. At about 19 months on the vine,I was worried in our cool summers it would rot- I've had that happen after a long wait too.
IMG_3724.JPG

Stan, I hope that works out for you. They do take forever to ripen on the vine, patience is pushed to a whole different level with this one. I'm sure you know to wait until the "scales" start to peel themselves of the fruit. What a delightful tasting fruit it is. In my opinion, it is almost the definition of what tropical tastes like.

This year,I think its the only one. My vine is in too much shade for good production. Our mild cool climate means they should be getting much more sun for that. I think you all know there are cultivars of Monstera for food in tropical countries. Most Asian. Some of those are big cultivars with huge 3-4' leafs. I can see why they make enough to be garden edible plants.
Kwt,I remember the last time I got a good fruit from this plant...it was very syrupy with a banana-pineapple flavor. Other times,I cut them..and they just rotted. Timing is important! I also left them on the plant...more rot. Too cool.
I will try to post one tomorow,Dr..
I wonder if the Variegated Monstera makes variegated fruit?

Interesting, as I have never tried to eat the fruit. My vine has quite a few at this time.
pizap.com14642064860341.jpg

Its been awhile since I checked in Sorry. But here's mine after I did the "Paper bag and Apple" to get the fruit to ripen. It worked. The kitchen smelled like a pleasant Pineapple...and even when I tried eating it slow so others could taste..the leftover filled the refrigerator with the same pleasant aroma.
What did happen was that we had a heatwave as it was ripening so it dried out a bit....After peeling off the loose carpels,I let it soak in shallow water.. a banana split boat. Plumped right up and everything fell off the middle stem...I ate it with a spoon.
Man,Scott you are wasting good eating. I'm sure the mild Pineapple flavor I got would be more intense in a virtual tropical climate like Florida. Try 'em.
btw,You will hear countless story's of how they taste like glass shards unripe. Well,don't eat them unripe!-ha. I have read that unripe Pineapples have the same crystals in them. Who would eat a green Pineapple?
Try something new. Man,people want every fruit in the world to be just like Oranges and Mangos and Apples. What they are used to.

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 429
I guess I will give it a try - Monstera is all over the place here and I have it taking over. I cut and throw away truck loads sometimes. I see the wild pheasants and chickens eating them - so why don't I. :)

Well,free doesn't mean bad. Its the tropical version of picking Dandelions for a salad..fresh spring leaves are a delight. Or miners lettuce on a bay trail walk.
You can go to Youtube and watch North Americans visiting The Canary's or Mexico or wherever and tasting it and enjoying Monstera. Funny that many cant words to describe the flavor.

Very good taste! Reminding me of pineapple mixed with peach.
pizap.com14730131133661.jpg

Will be flowering soon for next summers treat...
pizap.com14730131914151.jpg