Spring 2016 Garden Tour & Croton Auction

kwtimo

22/05/10
I realize it might be a little early to get the ball rolling on this, but with spring rapidly approaching, I figured now was as good a time as any. George Zammas has expressed his desire to host this year spring event, preferably sometime in March, but there could be some flexibility. Now with the Searle Bros. sale which takes place the first two weekends in March, that puts us in the later half of the month. I am aware that there might be some other events that might interfere with some other members, but I am completely unsure when Fairchild holds their events. If someone could inform the group here, that would be great. Please respond to the thread if this tentative time frame in the second half of March either works or does not work for you. Thank you, and I know that George is thanking you too.

Fairchild will hold the International Orchid Festival March 12-13. The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society moved its Show and Sale from March to May 21 - 22.

O.K., So I've had contact with George, and it looks like March 19 will be the date. I'll post soon with more details. Looking forward to seeing all the usual suspects!

Spoke with George yesterday. He said he is going to put about 20 lbs of pork tenderloin on the smoker for the group. Everything else will pretty much be up to the attendees. People can start to show up as early as 10 am, but figure that the auction will start after the meat is ready, somewhere around 1 pm. For those who have not been at George's property, there is a lot to look at. He started planting palms there about 20 years ago in addition to his crotons. George also said he was okay with unlimited for sale plants. What is the overall consensus on the number of auction plants per person?

George's garden will be a real treat for those who have not been there before.Many great seedlings and rare mature palms.I think we had agreed that 7 was the limit for the auction??In previous meetings I remember the limit has been as little as 5 and as much as 10??I might be able to squeeze out 7-8 good ones,

Spoke with George yesterday. He said he is going to put about 20 lbs of pork tenderloin on the smoker for the group. Everything else will pretty much be up to the attendees. People can start to show up as early as 10 am, but figure that the auction will start after the meat is ready, somewhere around 1 pm. For those who have not been at George's property, there is a lot to look at. He started planting palms there about 20 years ago in addition to his crotons. George also said he was okay with unlimited for sale plants. What is the overall consensus on the number of auction plants per person?
Tim I will bring Argentinian empanadas

image.jpg
Old school, my Mom & Dad grew these I guess I am reliving my ute.

I'm still fine with hosting this fall, but if Jose really wants to host, I can defer till the following fall. Alternatively, he could host a meeting in the summer, and I could still do fall. I'm fine with either.
I will love to see your garden I'm available any time.

I'm still fine with hosting this fall, but if Jose really wants to host, I can defer till the following fall. Alternatively, he could host a meeting in the summer, and I could still do fall. I'm fine with either.
I would prefer one get-together on the west coast as long as you are willing Ana!
Jose's sounds fantastic for spring 2017!!!
I am not attending the upcoming sale but I think the limit on auction plants is contingent on how far people are traveling. Meaning, I am much more likely to sit through a longer auction if I don't have a 3-4 hr commute home. I would also add that an auction is appreciated by me when it starts earlier and on time when I am traveling to the other coast. Just my 2 cents.

I would prefer one get-together on the west coast as long as you are willing Ana!
Jose's sounds fantastic for spring 2017!!!
I am not attending the upcoming sale but I think the limit on auction plants is contingent on how far people are traveling. Meaning, I am much more likely to sit through a longer auction if I don't have a 3-4 hr commute home. I would also add that an auction is appreciated by me when it starts earlier and on time when I am traveling to the other coast. Just my 2 cents.
I really want to see Ana's garden. I can do this in 2017, which is fine for me.

I think Jose for summer and Ana for the fall. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to have a couple of more beside these three. Its always fun, and its sad that we croton nuts only get together a couple times a year. I say more the better.

Is the Moose banished? May I attend?

Hopefully work will allow it. Working a minimum of 50 hours a week, sometimes up to 73 hours. The crotons have been suffering from lack of attention.

Hopefully work will allow it. Working a minimum of 50 hours a week, sometimes up to 73 hours. The crotons have been suffering from lack of attention.

Wow Ron 73 hours a week!!That sounds tiring but lucrative.Your crotons should be ok with all the rain w have been having??

Banished? Ron, your presence is always expected, and needed. You better be there. You won't want to miss seeing all of George's creations in addition to the mature palm collection and garden. Glad to hear from you. I was just asking Searle yesterday if he had heard from you lately.