A Beautiful Bush - But No ID - Help Please

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
This is something I haven't seen anywhere else except the friend's house where we got the cutting. It is just starting to flower and has buds everywhere. It will soon be covered in these showy hanging flowers.

Anyone know what it is?

IMG_2620.jpg IMG_2622.jpg

It's a very happy Medinilla lalique.
Thanks a million Marie. I could see the resemblance in the flowers, but the leaves looked so different. However, a closer look at the stems, and I can see the resemblance there as well.

In another week or two it looks as if it will have as many flowers as leaves. I'll share another pic when it does.

It sure is nice to have someone around who knows their plants as well as you do.
:SmileyPetals

My first thought was Medenilla from the blooms, but it has a very woody appearance in the photo. Very cool plant Dean. Thank you for another ID Marie!

Thanks a million Marie. I could see the resemblance in the flowers, but the leaves looked so different. However, a closer look at the stems, and I can see the resemblance there as well.

In another week or two it looks as if it will have as many flowers as leaves. I'll share another pic when it does.

It sure is nice to have someone around who knows their plants as well as you do.
:SmileyPetals

I've just been lucky so far in that you're posting plants that we grow. When the lalique forms seeds and they're ripe, you'll be able to smear them on a tree trunk that's in a humid area and they'll sprout and grow happily on the tree. This is only in Hawaii; it won't work here in Miami.

That is gorgeous Dean. Like Tim, my gut said Medenilla but I am so far removed from an expert that I remained silent. We are lucky to Marie on this forum!

I've just been lucky so far in that you're posting plants that we grow. When the lalique forms seeds and they're ripe, you'll be able to smear them on a tree trunk that's in a humid area and they'll sprout and grow happily on the tree. This is only in Hawaii; it won't work here in Miami.
Thanks again for the additional info Marie. Last year I had a ton of berries on this, after the blooms - so I will try that. I will also list some seeds and cuttings on the Auction Site when the show is over.