What A Surprise - Miss Andrea

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
While visiting a garden in coastal SoCal last week I spied several of these Ti Plants growing nicely - both in the ground and in pots. I asked the gardener (my son) how long they had been there - expecting him to tell me less than a year. I never imagined that these would look as good as they did after experiencing a winter.

He told me they had already been through one winter, and didn't skip a beat. Although it was a fairly mild winter, it was their first. So I would say this is a real surprise and something the SoCalers should make note of.

They are an excellent plant in that I have never had a problem with bugs. And it stays low and lush - perfect for the typical suburban landscape in SoCal. And not water hungry either.

IMG_2338.jpg
IMG_2336.jpg
IMG_2335.jpg

These plants are a little more hardy than people believe. I was chatting with others on another forum and they are growing them in coastal SC. Some ears they get killed back, but return with warmer weather.

Dean,
Has your 'Miss Andrea' ever flowered for you? For all the years I have grown this one, I have never had flowering until now.
pizap.com14490969591091.jpg

Dean,
Has your 'Miss Andrea' ever flowered for you? For all the years I have grown this one, I have never had flowering until now.
View attachment 33195
I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. And no, I have some pretty big bunches, but I don't ever remember a flower. I think that would be a good plant from which to grow the seed - based on the hardiness I just witnessed in SoCal.

I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. And no, I have some pretty big bunches, but I don't ever remember a flower. I think that would be a good plant from which to grow the seed - based on the hardiness I just witnessed in SoCal.

Dean, Yes Miss Andrea is a hardy one. I was surprised to hear on another plant forum of it being grown on the coastal islands of S. Carolina and has survived for some years.

Scott - I heard somewhere that Princess Leisha is a relative of Miss Andrea. Do you know anything about that?
Yes it is one of the tissue culture sports from Miss Andrea. Other TC sports include Princess Kayla, Electra and Chocolate Dancer.

Thanks for that info. So, what do you think about the sports carrying any of the hardiness from Miss Andrea? Have you heard anything about those others handling any cooler weather?

I was just looking at our Electra yesterday. That sure is a nice one, but on the slow side for us.

I can not speak of the sports as they have not had to go the hard test of freezing temps since planting the sports in the ground in the spring of 2011. They have handled the mid 30 f temps without a problem.
I planted my little 6" 'Electra' in the ground in the spring of 2011 and it is now standing at a height of 3'. ' Princess Leisha' has grown faster standing in at 4' and 'Princess Kayla' coming in at only 2'.

Ok, I bit but I must admit I have a hard time finding the auction link from this forum.
You are right Bren - that's why I put the link in that last post.

There is a new upgrade for this software that I have been procrastinating. Upgrades can always mess things up, but I need to do, it as it fixes a few minor bugs and adds a few new features - one of which I hope is an improved navigation system.

Ok just pm me if I win this time because i am doing almost all biz by droid. Rarely get on normal PC. I also was confused if my offer took as it didnt register my name etc

I don't have princess leisha here but at the old place I grew if 4 yrs without issue. Great plant!
Bren, If my 'Princess Leisha' doesn't flower and set seed I will be cutting it back this spring and you are welcome to the cutting.

The flowering of 'Dr Brown' is going to coincide with the 'Miss Andrea' and I think they would make a very nice matchup for great offspring. Got the paintbrush ready for a controlled pollination project on these two.
pizap.com14509039866401.jpg

Well it has been 3 days now of myself being the matchmaker and the first flowers have dropped on Dr. Brown and Miss Andrea.. I will proceed another 3 days on these 2 and if still looks to be a no go I will let nature take over as other Ti will be coming into flower nearby these two.
pizap.com14511643106921.jpg

I tried my best with these two on a cross. Mrs Andrea shows a few developing fruits. Dr Brown as in other years has no fruit set.

'Miss Andrea' has held the fruit so far and look to be developing good. I ended up also using the 'Caroline' in the mix using 'Dr Brown' pollen on one flower stalk and 'Miss Andrea' pollen on the other flower stalk of 'Caroline' and fruit set looks great.

'Miss Andrea' has held the fruit so far and look to be developing good. I ended up also using the 'Caroline' in the mix using 'Dr Brown' pollen on one flower stalk and 'Miss Andrea' pollen on the other flower stalk of 'Caroline' and fruit set looks great.
The 'Caroline' x 'Dr Brown' fruit are about ready for the next step...
IMG_4085.JPG

Still waiting on the 'Miss Andrea' fruit to ripen.

The seed were cleaned from the fruit a week ago and placed between moist paper towels for a few days .
I found it interesting that the Mrs Andrea fruit yielded 1-2 seed each.
The seed are now in potting soil and the wait and see game begins.
pizap.com14668640926881.jpg

Good Job - Let me know when/if they pop. I have a feeling they will be winners. At least a possibility for some colorful Tis for SoCal.

I have lots of big Miss Andrea - but I don't think I have yet seen a flower. :(

Good Job - Let me know when/if they pop. I have a feeling they will be winners. At least a possibility for some colorful Tis for SoCal.

I have lots of big Miss Andrea - but I don't think I have yet seen a flower. :(
Dean, Noticed the first little green sprouts emerging from the soil over the weekend. :baby: