Butia Hybrid Pictures

I will never understand why the flower colors differ when the same parent trees are used. I guess it just because they are hybrids. This one is my favorite with very dark petals.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 511
Dean, That one is my favorite now days. I now have a S. schizophylla to work with, removed the male flowers today. Will cross with Butia, may make a smaller hybrid type tree.
I have fruit from the cross with Butia. First cross very few fruit, second cross looks good at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 504
Here is another former seedling looking very happy in its home with Larry Sr.
MulePalm_zpsd965380d.jpg

Ron, It will be later in the summer before I will see any signs of life. I will be planting them tomorrow in a ground bed. We will wait and see on these seed.

Here is a 2yr old Hybrid. The recipe here was using pollen from my reverse (S.rom X Butia) "Mule" back to the S.rom. Only had 7 seed to set and only one to germinate. I only left a dozen female flowers on the flower stalk as I am not fond of working at the height took to do this cross. I hope it turns out, as a lot of work to do this one. Looks a awful lot like a Queen palm except for the red leaf base.
IMG_3810.jpgIMG_3811.jpgIMG_3816.jpg

Here is a 2yr old Hybrid. The recipe here was using pollen from my reverse (S.rom X Butia) "Mule" back to the S.rom. Only had 7 seed to set and only one to germinate. I only left a dozen female flowers on the flower stalk as I am not fond of working at the height took to do this cross. I hope it turns out, as a lot of work to do this one. Looks a awful lot like a Queen palm except for the red leaf base.
Here is a update on the reverse Mule back to S.rom. Very fine droopy leaves on this hybrid. The palm on the right is a normal Mule.Img_6124.jpg Img_6129.jpg Img_6127.jpg

Wow, looks very queen-like. So this is a (SxB) x S ?

I know there had been discussion before about the hardiness of a reverse mule (SxB) but one would think that any Butia in the mix would increase hardiness even if it was only a few degrees.

Queens up here the past winter (the coldest in 25 years) were hit and miss ..... about 1/3 survived. Something like this hybrid might be the solution for a queen lookalike at the very coldest 9a locations.

Great thread ..... I had forgotten all about it, and Palmpedia's discussion board ..... going to have to post more.

David, My best guess on the adult look will be close to the look of its father (pic here).
arevIMG_2932.jpg

Very nice...screams tropics to me.

The first cross was SxB correct?

Was the second cross (SxB) x S or was it S x (SxB)?

And was the same Syagrus used in the first and second crosses....the one above?

Hybrids are always fascinating

David, The first cross is SxB and the second cross is the Sx(SxB). Two different S. rom's were used in the mix of this hybrid. I like to use my beefy trunk S. rom when I make the hybrids, but it was not used in the first cross as it was not a mature flowering palm at that time.

Steve, Look close in the center of this picture. There is a one leaf seedling growing out of the boot of the Butiagrus that I got the offspring from. I think I need to get up there and get it out to grow it on. No other palm close so it may have produced another baby.
Update: The little seedling is growing up.
Img_6724.jpg

Scott, I was crushed to have to leave your hybrids you gave me a few yrs back. We went by the old garden and the one I could see from the street looked great. Roof line. Love seeing you are still at it!

Scott, I was crushed to have to leave your hybrids you gave me a few yrs back. We went by the old garden and the one I could see from the street looked great. Roof line. Love seeing you are still at it!
Bren, If you have the space for one in the your new garden you are welcome to another.

Dean, I have seen the red on a couple of other Butia hybrids in the area, but by far I think most have the yellow. The mother Butia (RIP) had a red color...
picresized_th_1225845362_IMG_6385.jpg

Scott, that mule you gave me last year along with the saribus are starting to kick it in now. I'll have to take some pics. The old mules at my old place are getting tall! I wanted to snap some photos but felt like a stalker.

Scott, that mule you gave me last year along with the saribus are starting to kick it in now. I'll have to take some pics. The old mules at my old place are getting tall! I wanted to snap some photos but felt like a stalker.

Bren - you may no longer own the property, but you planted them so they are "still your palms". (At least in my opinion) I love visiting (drive bys) and seeing trees that I have planted over the years. Sadly some were removed by subsequent owners, but many remain. Go snap some photos, especially since I want to see them!

Jule & I have to be in that area of town Sat morn so she said she would drive us by for a stealth pic. Wish I could see my tri-teddies & foxy lady in back!!

Scott would maybe know more. Memory is not super sharp. Plants blend after awhile. Maybe mule was a 5 gal? All I know is it fit in my car. He actually gave me 2 back then. The other was planted in the back. That bizzie took a big cold hit & I really didnt think it would make it.

Bren they had to have been in 3 gal pots. I have only grown two in anything larger. The two were in my very large pots sitting poolside for a few years. I have one planted in my yard and the other went to Larry.

Hi Moose

The butyagrus is planted out in my garden. Right now it is tied together and protected under snow.
After planting out last year it unfortunately had a bad start and suffered sunburn and lost its spear.
Although it thrives and I hope it will come through well under lots of dry leaves and snow.
The other Butia I'm going to give to a friend who lives in Ticino, at the most southern point of Switzerland just a few minutes from Italy.
A much milder and sunnier place than mine.

I will post some pictures in Summer.

Marcel

Finally, here are my updates. :)
My red based butia died at my friends house in ticino.
The butiagrus grows rather slowly, but happily at a friends place in venice, italy.

Here it is:

SAVE_20191019_211701.jpeg
SAVE_20191019_211650.jpeg

SAVE_20191019_211613.jpeg

SAVE_20191019_211711.jpeg

Marcel

Any updates on this thread?

Anyone know if ScotTi is still around? Reading back looks like he had a lot of cool stuff going on.