Show Your Bromeliads

Took a pic of Neoregalia 'Fireball'. I have more then a few of the broms above. Many can take almost 9b winters in stride. For me they've grown in mild summers too.
Cryptanthus are very very edgy here. Rot comes easy.

Attachments

• IMG_2023s.jpg
    IMG_2023s.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 302
Keep it up Scott and I'll be sorry I keep looking at your Brom pics. That's all I need is another plant group to get interested in. :RakeBash2
Easy no fuss plants. The popularity of Bromeliads is exploding these days.
pizap.com14427842495331.jpg
pizap.com14427847988601.jpg

Here is a pup to watch mature that came from a collector. The mother plant (not telling ) was a beauty, the pup looks nothing like the mother plant at this time. I will keep updating as this one matures.
pizap.com14427856802041.jpg

Alcantarea Odorata is a large growing Bromelaid having a spread of 4'+. My plant is still young with a spread of 3o" at this time coming into its coloring of silver blue
pizap.com14431325067311.jpg
pizap.com14431323938971.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I have seen a bromeliad with bugs. Do you have any problems with pests at all - ever???
I have not had a problem with pests, but Bromeliads are not immune to infestation. A few of the common pests on Bromeliads are mealybugs, scales and weevils.

Here is a colorful Pineapple Bromeliad that will produce a small size fruit.
pizap.com14433698578871.jpg

Finding myself growing fonder of the 'Cryptanthus' family of Bromelaids. You can see how they get their common name of 'Earthstar's'.
IMG_1490.JPG

Funny you should post those Cryptanthus Scott. I was just about to purchase some and include them in an article on mounting epiphytes. Do you know the ultimate size of these guys? I'm guessing they stay fairly diminutive???

Funny you should post those Cryptanthus Scott. I was just about to purchase some and include them in an article on mounting epiphytes. Do you know the ultimate size of these guys? I'm guessing they stay fairly diminutive???
Dean, Do not include the Cryptanthus as a mounting epiphyte. These are terrestrial Bromeliads and need soil. I learned this the hard way a few years ago thinking all Bromeliads could be used for mounting.

Dean, Yes, the Cryptanthus are fairly small growing I think I read the largest ones grow to about 12" wide leaf tip to leaf tip. In the photo I posted the front and back planted plants are 12" the white plant is 8" and the other one is 6".

Dean, Do not include the Cryptanthus as a mounting epiphyte. These are terrestrial Bromeliads and need soil. I learned this the hard way a few years ago thinking all Bromeliads could be used for mounting.
Thanks for the heads up - I was on my way to learn how I usually do - aka the "hard way." :)

With the outbreak of the Zika virus here in FL I thought I would post this control for mosquitos:
The former homeowners here were avid Bromeliad collectors and gave me a tip when I purchased the place. I was informed to sprinkle a pinch of brewed coffee grounds or pour a little cold black coffee into the Bromeliad cups every few weeks to control mosquitos from breeding in them. I have used this recipe in our wet summer months and have never seen the wigglers in the cups.

Last edited:
I got this off the internet. Wild looking. What's the name of this?
3912de30eb76fe1fbfed358362e7d0d6.jpg.jpeg

Stan, I wish I knew. I have seen the photo on the net and I have had it saved to my computer for sometime. I have and still search thru many Brom sites looking for a name, but have had no luck.
I imagine if I ever did find the plant for sale the price would be in the triple digits.