Daisy's Pride

annafl

Esteemed Member
I don't hear much about this cultivar. I acquired one about three months ago and bought it after seeing Judy Glock's photo of her colorful one in the wiki. However, mine has very little color and I don't know how to color it up. It is in part sun, and it's gotten two, very green flushes since I got it. Does anyone have this one? If you do, what's the secret to making it color up? Ana

Ana, if you have a moment and get us a picture, I for one would like to see what's going on. Also, you stated the new flush is still green. Has it been this way for awhile, or do you think it still could be in it's stages of still coloring up?

Jeff, when I get back home in a few days I'll post a photo, thanks. I'd appreciate the help. It doesn't seem like these flushes are planning on coloring up. The last flush was maybe a month or so ago? I hope I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be the usual progression. Stay tuned!:)

Alright, here she is. I hope I can get a few suggestions. Maybe just a bad clone? What do you think?

DSC_0836.jpg

Alright, here she is. I hope I can get a few suggestions. Maybe just a bad clone? What do you think?

View attachment 32016
This might sound rather bold but you have several heads just cut the greenies out and add fert. and hope for nice new growth. Just my opinion, if that doesn't work dig it up move it to less shade and cut it again!

Thanks, Lamar. However, it gets sun from about 12 noon to 2 or 3. I don't think it can take any more than that and when first planted here it dropped a few leaves, which indicated to me that it was not used to that amount of hot sun. The lower leaves are a little bleached out. Is this a cultivar that takes close to full blazing sun? Could it color up more in more shade?

Thanks, Lamar. However, it gets sun from about 12 noon to 2 or 3. I don't think it can take any more than that and when first planted here it dropped a few leaves, which indicated to me that it was not used to that amount of hot sun. The lower leaves are a little bleached out. Is this a cultivar that takes close to full blazing sun? Could it color up more in more shade?
Ok last thought, every thing I said before but move it into the shade.

Ana,

I can't put it any nicer.....that thing is butt ugly!!! It looks like the newer leaves up on the top of the plant have changed from what the lower leaves ( original leaves when you bought it ) , therefore I seriously doubt any changes in fertilizer or light will help. It looks like it reverted back to some dull, non-descript colors. Change what your doing maybe, but I'll be shocked if it looks like the original plant later down the road. I hope I'm wrong!

I agree Jeff, that's why I asked for help! It wasn't that great to start with, but one always thinks one can make it better with TLC. Not so here. What if I cut it back severely to where the old growth was? I might try that. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the feedback.

I think that was a great idea. And while were in the heat of the summer, there's plenty of time for the new growth to come out and show it's "true colors". Your doing great, keep us informed.

Ana, here is mine. I got this from Jeff in February this year. First it got too much sun, then the mites moved in. It has been slow to recover. I just put it in a bigger pot, and gave it a nice dose of Harrell's to help boost it. I've had other plants that have taken a very long time to color up, and patience paid off in the end.
20150806_162034.jpg
20150806_162044.jpg

OK folks, for fear of making myself look like an idiot....... especially being a Horticuluralist from the University of Georgia (Greenhouse Management, // Floriculture) ADMITTEDLY, I have seemingly been land locked on this island called KEY WEST for more decades than I care to reveal....... LOL....... Is Harrells the K2MAG FERTILIZER? I have looked for it here on the island with no success. Could some kind soul give me some information? I am aware that this application is to help bring out the vivid colors. But any input anyone may share would be so appreciated. ...humbly, MARK.

Kmag. Is a trade name of a mined material used in fertilizer blends. N/P/K Harrell's has a sales office in Homestead Tim can give you directions if you see him down there in K W. Other companies have similar material but their product seems to work very well with our plants. By the way it's all about the "U". This is the year of "The Canes"
image.jpg

Mark, what I have been using as KMag is sulfate of Potash with Magnesium. It is usually o-0-21-Mg. I am not home now to look at the label further. There are several companies that make it. It is my understanding that maybe Florikan used the name 'KMag', and I don't think it's available through them anymore. However, other companies have a similar formulation of Sulfate of Potash with Magnesium. I think the one I get is Sul-Po-Mag. I think Harrell's has one also. Hopefully others will chime in on the particular product they use.

AAAAAHHHHHH..... Well thank you Anna..... You have always been so helpful and encouraging with your comments when you reply. Thanks so much, I have been familiar with the sulfate of potash with magnesium.
Just maybe I wasn't thinking it thru chemically as much as just looking at K2mag just as face value......
Im fact, I'm thinking I may have something similar out in the garden shed...... ...anyone else want to chime in????

Hey Mark if you look on the bag I posted you will see the list of derived from materials. It shows how each blend in formulated S O P is the source of the K in this blend. There is only so much room in the formulation ton that is why I have always reblended my applications. If you take 15-0-15 and reblend with 16-4-8 you can leave the restriction of the ton and end up with 31-4-23. That is my method of pushing growth rates and hopefully getting health little friends.

While I was at Jeff's earlier in the week, we did the traditional walk through his garden. We stumbled across his parent plant of Daisy's Pride. I tried to get some decent pics.
20150811_174411.jpg
20150811_174419.jpg
20150811_174429.jpg

Hey, thanks for your photos, Tim. The Daisy's Pride doesn't look much different than yours and mine with the exception of a few lower leaves with color. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Now, that unknown and the Salmon are gorgeous, as is the Cutler #34. Beautiful plants.

Now, last year I got a Richard Krukonis at the Searle Extravaganza, but I don't think it is this plant. I was very excited to get it, too. :(Is this a different plant that is now thought to be Richard Krukonis? Where did this one come from?

Also, Salmon is Chris Mayhew's hybrid, right, or is it a Henry Coppinger Hybrid? Do you know where the name came from? I think there was a Mr. Salmon that was a croton enthusiast, no? Is it named for him or maybe the pinkish color it eventually gets?

Hi Ana....I would agree, the DP doesn't show much color here, but at other times it does look better.

As far as Richard Krukonis goes, I will explain it as I have several other times in the past. My original cutting came off of the plant growing at Frank Brown's house. He told me it was Richard Krukonis. And over the years, many of us thought it never quite looked like the plant featured in the book on page 15. Including me. But I guess until other wised proven wrong, this is what I went with. Now...I have a different plant growing at my house that ( Tim just photographed) and looks like it might resemble more of what the plant on page 15 is. And....this plant came from the collection that is at Flamingo Gardens and were part of the Davis collection. And as most of you know, Richard lived right down the street from Ralph. I'm excited about this and more time will prove one way or another. Last year Johnny came by and saw the plant when it was sill in a pot and thought that it could very well be the real (?) deal.

Salmon....this was a seedling that Chris found growing in the mulch at the Davis house. A very long time ago. He plucked it up and brought home to grow on, then eventually named it Salmon because of it's colors. So it's a Chris Mayhew plant. I believe I have the facts and story right, and if not, I apologize and Chris can correct me.

Hi Jeff, I cut off almost 50% of the top of my DP and it's now bringing growth that looks almost the same. Poor thing. I think I'll let it rest for a couple of years and see what happens.

That's very exciting about the possible 'real' Richard Krukonis. It looks like a beautiful plant and resembles the one in the book much more. I can't wait to see it grow up even more.

I did search Salmon in the forum and got the same story you gave, by Chris himself. Thanks for all your comments.

Jeff, I absolutely love your plants. Really wish you would take photos and have someone post them. What about Ryan? We really could use a pick me up in this forum. A little enthusiasm. I am missing Jerry's posts and Randy hasn't posted his plants in a while. I also wish we could get Jim and Judy, Phil, Mike and Marie to post theirs. Ron isn't around yet. What do you say?

Last edited: