Medinilla magnifica

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I just took these photos of this great plant, now in bloom, and thought they were worth posting. This has been trouble free for many years. Always looks good, no pests, no trimming - I have done nothing to it .

It grows at a moderate speed, and as you can see, I tend to forget about it until this time of year. They have very minimal root systems, and I have heard they can almost classify as an epiphyte. I will be taking a few cuttings and placing them in rock and old stump areas, where there is little soil and see.
PTIMG_1909WM.jpg PTIMG_1907WM.jpg PTIMG_1906WM.jpg

I am still waiting for my Medinilla magnifica to bloom, but from a small plant I got from Hawaii last year it has filled out a large pot and hopefully will bloom soon. I have had Medinilla myriantha in an old clay pot for about 3 years and it seems to always have flowers or berries on it (showy but not quite as dramatic as magnifica). Both seem to have no problem with temperatures down near freezing. I have not tried either of them in the ground, because as you mentioned they are often described as epiphytes. My only problem is that snails seem to love eating them and my first plant got mangled a couple years ago when a tree was being taken down and the Medinilla was in the wrong place at the wrong time (has recovered nicely). I will try to get some photos posted.

Medinillas are my favorite - even moreso than crotons but they are very difficult to find. Currently we're growing 21 varieties and always seeking more. Here are a few photos.

This is Medinilla sieboldiana with a scortechinii in the background.
upload_2015-5-14_7-47-52.png

This is Medinilla miniata.
upload_2015-5-14_7-50-10.png

This could be a crassata hybrid or an unnamed species.
upload_2015-5-14_7-52-36.png

Thanks for the photos Marie. I did not know there were that many types. I will have to do some more searching since they seem to like it here. It looks like I will have to find some M. crassata hybrids. That is a beautiful flower.

Dean, there are about 400 known species and more are discovered each year. They're found in the Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, India and Indonesia. Not all are spectacular but many are. The Dutch are making some great hybrids as well. I'll try to attach a couple of photos of those tomorrow.

Medinillas are my favorite - even moreso than crotons but they are very difficult to find. Currently we're growing 21 varieties and always seeking more. Here are a few photos.

This is Medinilla sieboldiana with a scortechinii in the background.
View attachment 31624

This is Medinilla miniata.
View attachment 31625

This could be a crassata hybrid or an unnamed species.
View attachment 31626
Marie, those are beautiful examples. I did not realize the diversity in this group either. Are all of your plants grown in pots and do you need to protect them in the winter?
Thanks, Karl

I just took these photos of this great plant, now in bloom, and thought they were worth posting. This has been trouble free for many years. Always looks good, no pests, no trimming - I have done nothing to it .

It grows at a moderate speed, and as you can see, I tend to forget about it until this time of year. They have very minimal root systems, and I have heard they can almost classify as an epiphyte. I will be taking a few cuttings and placing them in rock and old stump areas, where there is little soil and see.
View attachment 31615 View attachment 31614 View attachment 31613
Dean, I love how natural your garden looks. Is your Medinilla growing in the ground? I have never seen such a large plant and it looks beautiful. It certainly makes me want to live in Hawaii.

Dean, I love how natural your garden looks. Is your Medinilla growing in the ground? I have never seen such a large plant and it looks beautiful. It certainly makes me want to live in Hawaii.
Thanks Karl,
It is growing in the ground on a rocky slope in dappled shade/sun. It was planted about 10 years ago from a one gal plant. I haven't fertilized, haven't sprayed, haven't touched it with clippers. It has gotten periodic irrigation along with the rest of the garden - but that is it.

Marie, those are beautiful examples. I did not realize the diversity in this group either. Are all of your plants grown in pots and do you need to protect them in the winter?
Thanks, Karl

Our plants are all in pots or hanging baskets in a peat based soil mix. They can grow them in the ground in Hawaii with the volcanic soil and high humidity but not here in Florida. When we've had winter weather into the thirties we've moved the plants from benches to the ground and covered them with frost cloth. The plants are much too large to move into the house. Some are 5' across and 4' - 5' tall.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the Dutch hybrids made by Peter Bak of Corn Bak Bromeliads. It's Medinilla 'Florinella Bella' and blooms for months at a time.

DSC_0010.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 518
Our plants are all in pots or hanging baskets in a peat based soil mix. They can grow them in the ground in Hawaii with the volcanic soil and high humidity but not here in Florida. When we've had winter weather into the thirties we've moved the plants from benches to the ground and covered them with frost cloth. The plants are much too large to move into the house. Some are 5' across and 4' - 5' tall.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the Dutch hybrids made by Peter Bak of Corn Bak Bromeliads. It's Medinilla 'Florinella Bella' and blooms for months at a time.

View attachment 31634
Another great looking plant and the flower clusters look to be larger than most. I will be keeping my eyes out for some new varieties to add to my garden. I have some pots just waiting for plants like this.

View attachment 31615 View attachment 31614 View attachment 31613
You are quite lucky with the climate you have. My Medinilla is currently struggling a bit from lack of attention. I grow it in a pot, and for the first two years it bloomed nicely. But this year it did not. Will have to offer fresh soil and fertiliser.

Marie has the most incredible medinillas I've ever seen in person. Marie, those photos are spectacular! The only one I've ever had is the most common one, myriantha, I believe, and it died during winter one year (I think maybe 2010?). Don't quite remember. Marie, do you know which is the most cold hardy one? I'd love to try one again.

Marie has the most incredible medinillas I've ever seen in person. Marie, those photos are spectacular! The only one I've ever had is the most common one, myriantha, I believe, and it died during winter one year (I think maybe 2010?). Don't quite remember. Marie, do you know which is the most cold hardy one? I'd love to try one again.

Ana, I don't know if any of the Medinillas will tolerate freezing temperatures. Interesting though, Medinilla magnifica needs at least three weeks of temps in the low sixties to stimulate blooming. The largest company producing magnificas in North America is in Canada. Throughout Europe Med. magnifica is grown as a houseplant.

In Florida I think the most common reason that Medinillas die is that people plant them in the ground.

Ok. I better not ask any more questions. Next thing you know, I'll be dragging another plant indoors during winter cold spells. Sometimes it's just so tempting, though. Thanks, Marie.
Come on Anna - don't give in to practicality What's just one (or two, or three) more? Woot

I would guess they can survive just fine in a small lightweight pot and medium - and would tolerate some trimming. So in other words, you could keep them manageable and easy to move if necessary.

Dean, since my back's been bad, I don't let myself be tempted by anything I know will have to come indoors with temperatures over 27-28. I might be tempted by maybes, but not things that definitely won't make it. Can't do it anymore.:(

I have also found magnifica to be easy. I grow it outdoors in part sun here in coastal Tampa Bay and handles middle 30'sF well. I protect if at or below freezing, and the blooms are magnificent. I grow mine in a coco basket and yes, it is rootbound but has grown very fast! 3 years old and is easily 3 feet x 3 feet, and I have rooted cuttings but they enjoy bottom heat. I wish the others were more available. I would :plove to grow them all!

I just checked eBay and some are listed, but also quite a bit of M Magnifica seed. Has anyone grown them from seed? Are they as easy from seed as they are to grow? Worth a shot! :confused:

I just checked eBay and some are listed, but also quite a bit of M Magnifica seed. Has anyone grown them from seed? Are they as easy from seed as they are to grow? Worth a shot! :confused:

Greg, they're fairly easy from seed. I clean the seed in a jar of water and then sow the seed on top of moist sphagnum moss in a small pot. Then I spray with a weak mix of water, fungicide and fertilizer. I then cover with saran wrap and put on a heating pad. The plants grow very slowly from seed; they're quite fast from cuttings.
Good luck,
Marie

If anyone is interested, I would be willing to list a few M. magnifica cuttings on the Auction Site for a very reasonable price. I'm only trying to get the Auction Site some exposure.

Last edited:
Greg, they're fairly easy from seed. I clean the seed in a jar of water and then sow the seed on top of moist sphagnum moss in a small pot. Then I spray with a weak mix of water, fungicide and fertilizer. I then cover with saran wrap and put on a heating pad. The plants grow very slowly from seed; they're quite fast from cuttings.
Good luck,
Marie
THANKS MARIE! Ive got a light setup that has a little space (I hybridize begonias of course) so off I go!