New Croton Converts

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Our Auction Hosts, Manny and Maria absolutely loved the auction. They commented repeatedly about the wonderful people they shared the day with.

When I visited Randy as he was getting ready to move, he crammed my truck full. "Find them good homes". Almost all that were duplicates of what I already had I gave to them. Told Manny that they needed to be repotted and given some good fertilizer as the growing season was rapidly approaching. I offered to pot them all up but Maria wanted nice looking containers, not the old black ones I had laying about.

Manny was suppose to go get the containers. I reminded him several times but it kept getting pushed to the back burner. I was cracking up Sunday afternoon listening to her giving Manny the business for not getting the containers. Maria loves pretty plants. Seeing how lovely a well grown croton looks like while observing the auction got her hooked. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be mixing up potting soil and breaking out the Harrell's very soon ... :rolleyes:

By the way, Manny and Maria are all open to host another auction. I told her that we usually get together 2-3 times a year. Just a thought, anyone interested in a monster marathon auction in the future? Perhaps a 15 plant per person limit. No tour, just eating and bidding on crotons. :eek:

"By the way, Manny and Maria are all open to host another auction. I told her that we usually get together 2-3 times a year. Just a thought, anyone interested in a monster marathon auction in the future? Perhaps a 15 plant per person limit. No tour, just eating and bidding on crotons. :eek:"

I'm in!

I didn't want the auction to end, it was so much fun. I went home with money in my wallet and room in my car for more plants, but loved the plants I got. Granted that money will be gone fast once I head down to visit David and want to get one of everything. I seem to be getting back into that can't have enough crotons phase, and it is safe to say plenty of people can relate to that. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention to thank Manny and Maria. They were so friendly and inviting when I came into their yard. You just don't expect that warm welcome when greeting a stranger. What great hosts.

"By the way, Manny and Maria are all open to host another auction. I told her that we usually get together 2-3 times a year. Just a thought, anyone interested in a monster marathon auction in the future? Perhaps a 15 plant per person limit. No tour, just eating and bidding on crotons. :eek:"

I'm in!
Me too!!!

Spent the morning with Manny and Maria. We went tooling around the Homestead area, which she had never seen. Maria was amazed seeing a whole different part of South Florida. Had no idea as to how many plant nursery's we have there. Then I really ruined her and took her to RF Orchids. For lunch we went to my favorite Mexican restaurant located in downtown Homestead, El Taco Toro. Maria reiterated that she would love to have all those nice people come back. Talked to a couple of others about a huge croton auction hosted at Manny and Maria's home. Seems there is some interest, any suggestions as to a date if more folks are interested? Personally I could handle a 6 hour auction and not get bored. Of course 3-4 auctioneers would be needed to pull it off.

Good to read El Toro Taco is still there; it was a hit on the last PalmFest some years back.

Phil - I was at that Palm Fest, it was a great event. Sorry that its is no longer happening.

I've had some positive responses for a monster auction only event. The prevailing opinion is to hold it sometime in August so air layered plants can get nice and established in their containers. Willing to co-host with Maria and Manny.. We need to establish a date and seek additional feedback if we should go forward with planning.

What do you people think ?

In other words, bring more money and let the bidding wars begin. :)

Actually with a monster auction there will be only be as much money as there are people. Most money just gets traded back and forth of those who bring plants. Its a great opportunity for expansion of collections. I suspect that there will be plants that all the colevtors all ready have that will go for bargain prices. A great opportunity for those who are starting out to acquire lots of different cultivars. At least that is my perspective.

I am doing lots of air layers of not common but plants most already have. Maria and Manny will probably be the recipients of those plants.