Roystonea dunlapiana. More hardy?

Stan

17/04/14
Just happened to run across mention of this palm native to as far north as Veracruz. Now,a whole lot of plants from Veracruz are happy in the bay area. Maybe more then Florida natives are.
Any news?

Palmpedia
Wiki
Daves Garden
None have anybody saying about in the garden. It does prick the thinker to read its distinct from Caribbean Roystonea's. Maybe the Royal palm that will grow all over warm California. Right next to your Beaucarnea.

Stan,
I went to the Kew checklist in anticipation that I could then tell you it is not an accepted name for a Roystonea since I have never heard mention of it anywhere. But, to my surprise, it is an accepted name. But that is all it says, no info to offer other than "SE. Mexico to C. America"

As you know Dean,many Veracruz plants grow easily in California- Agave attenuata is another- whereas the Caribbean plants are hit and miss.
The fact it grows so close to Texas makes me wonder how many palm or just plain exotic plant collectors ignored them as being the common Roystonea's?
That quote "distinct from the Caribbean Roystonea's" (Wiki) is really tantalizing!

Just happened to run across mention of this palm native to as far north as Veracruz. Now,a whole lot of plants from Veracruz are happy in the bay area. Maybe more then Florida natives are.
Any news?

Stan - your logic seems have merit, more then worth a try in my opinion. A Caribbean Royal (Roystonea regia) is successfully grown in San Diego County and thereabouts.