A couple from my garden

annafl

Esteemed Member
These were looking nice today.Singing

General Marshall, Babbett, The Finest Unknown, and Van Buren. Van Buren may be common, but I really like it a lot. Especially this time of year when it puts out lots of yellow to contrast with the late-season pinks.
General Marshall-Ana.JPG
Babbett-Ana.JPG
Finest Unknown-Ana.JPG
Van Buren-Ana.jpg

Ana - your Finest Unknown looks outstanding. Wonderful orange color. It has been suggested that its just a Stoplight. I don't think so, never seen a Stoplight colored like that and I've seen a mess of Stoplight. :moonwalker:

Thanks, Ron. No, to me this plant does not look like Stoplight at all. It's difficult to describe why, other than to say the colors aren't right, the leaf shape is a little different, and the plant behaves differently and has a different habit.

Thanks so much, Randy, I'm only trying to get them to look half as good as yours. I don't show the ones that don't look so good. I need to get a photo of your Weismannii. Remember when it was really yellow? After your advice I moved it to a less sunny area and now it has the nice cream color I was hoping for. It is not growing quite as fast there, but it it beautiful. Doesn't need to grow fast. Thank-you again.

These were looking nice today.Singing

General Marshall, Babbett, The Finest Unknown, and Van Buren. Van Buren may be common, but I really like it a lot. Especially this time of year when it puts out lots of yellow to contrast with the late-season pinks.View attachment 30294View attachment 30295 View attachment 30296 View attachment 30297
Hi Ana,
What is the variegated plant to the left of Van Buren in the photo. I am a sucker for all things variegated and it looks different from anything I have seen before (have a bit of plant lust going on after seeing it). I love that combination of those two and the dark leaves of the begonia. I continue to get confirmation that my plant that I had lost the tag from is Van Buren, and like you said it may be common but it is still a beauty.
Thanks, Karl

Hi Karl. It's an aralia, but I don't know the cultivar. I like it too. Easy plant, but a very slow grower which is alright with me. Yes, I love all plants in my garden. Begonias are some of my favorites. What are some of yours?

Hi Karl. It's an aralia, but I don't know the cultivar. I like it too. Easy plant, but a very slow grower which is alright with me. Yes, I love all plants in my garden. Begonias are some of my favorites. What are some of yours?
Besides the crotons and cordylines, I have gotten plenty of aroids. I was going through a stretch where all I was getting was unusual philodendrons, anthuriums, and other things like that. Anything variegated catches my eye. I have some of the aralias/false aralias but nothing with that color. I have put in quite a few begonias and many can't handle the heat or get eaten right away by snails or rabbits, but a few have developed into impressive clumps. I am also a sucker for anything fragrant like the Michelia alba and champaca, which I are great for both the perfumed air and their great look in the landscape. Some of the fragrant plants have been a bit finicky, but I still keep trying them out. If it is different and I have never seen it, I want it for my garden. While I do like palms and cycads, I have not found them as easy to grow as I would like and am not patient enough to wait for them to develop. Which doesn't mean I don't have them, just not many. I am still just enjoying being able to grow tropicals outside. I could never move back to New England, it would never feel lush and green enough for me and I would find the gardening depressing. Going from crotons back to hostas just wouldn't do it. I am still adjusting to the insects and diseases that hit down here, as well as the guys that help take care of the lawn and while keeping weeds under control in less developed gardens accidentally spray herbicide on many a valuable plant that looks like a weed to them (and I feel too bad to even let them know). The trials of a part-time gardener/full-time teacher, but I just take it as it comes and the spot of something that dies/is destroyed is home for something new. :)

Ana, your Van Buren is really beautiful. Can you tell me more about it? Does it grow in shade? How does it take cold?
I could have bought one yesterday at the USF spring sale (thank you, Scott, for letting me know!) but I am afraid to buy something that I couldn't possibly grow and opting out for the plants with the reputation, which means older cultivars...

Yes she does Randy. I can't wait when she will eventually host a garden tour. Ana - Your Babbett inspired me to acquire one at the last Extravaganza, under the name of R. L. Farquar

It has been determined that Carol Graff's seedling, Babbett is one in the same plant previously known as R. L. Farquar. Therefore Babbett is an invalid name and should not be used.

Jeff I have both side by side RL does not grow as well has well and has a red or yellow edge on the leaf and Bab seems to be a much better grower. Also I think Johnnie Shelton introduced one or the other of them. MORE FOG I think they have been miss labeled so many times it will never get cleared up, Anna's pic above looks like it could be an example of mislabeling.

Also RL did not pass the test very well this Winter 47 for my low lost leaves Reallyyyyyyy not good he could get slapped!!!

Lamar....here's what I know, or have noticed. I have both plants planted side by side as well and can't see a difference. I always had my doubts as both were growing in my yard under two different names. I talked to Johnny a few months back and he was pretty dang confident that these are in fact, one in the same. As far as cold hardiness, neither of my two plants have never showed any difference from one to the other. My thoughts and opinions.

Lamar....here's what I know, or have noticed. I have both plants planted side by side as well and can't see a difference. I always had my doubts as both were growing in my yard under two different names. I
alked to Johnny a few months back and he was pretty dang confident that these are in fact, one in the same. As far as cold hardiness, neither of my two plants have never showed any difference from one to the other. My thoughts and opinions.[/QUOTE\

They look exactly the same to me,over the years many plants have duplicated names.This is probably one of them

Pix in the winter it gets a lot of shade. In the summer it gets several hours of direct sunlight. Very tough plant. Didn't drop a leaf this winter, but it was a mild one. Thx Pix.
Thank you, Ana. I wish I have bought it :(. As for the color - is it very different from Mrs. Iceton? Mrs. Iceton is the only pink croton that I have so far, and it went through this winter with flying colors. ...And Petra lost half of its size. This was a mild winter but I had a lot of cold wind. All your crotons look wonderful!

Marie brought one of the variegated aralias to Fairchild for me to buy along with the crotons, so it will be fun to work that into my landscape.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away with limited internet access.

Pix, I only have one VB but it gets much more sun than my Mrs. Icetons which I find look much better in quite a bit of shade. As far as the pink, Mrs. I has several shades of pink in my shady areas and VB has a lighter pink? Also, pink is not the predominant color in my VB and it has more pinks during late fall and winter than the rest of the year.

Karl, that was so nice of Marie to bring that aralia for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Reactions: Pix
Thank you so much for your reply, Anna. I got over the VB already :)
I need to slow down ...All what I am doing recently is digging a dirt outside.
I live in the golfing 55+ community and my neighbors are making fun of me:(

image.jpg
They are the losers if your fingers are dirty your not livin By the way your Pixie is growing very nicely. I will get it to Tampa this summer.

She is beautiful! Thank you so much! How are you going to get it to Tampa?

I actually have great neighbors: 55+ is a very happy community as I found out. Ours is just not suited for gardening: there is too much fun to live here: golf, tennis, pickle ball, bowling, shuffleboard, yoga, Tai Chi, Zumba, line dancing, slimnastics, water aerobics, chorus, Little theater, woodshop, ceramics, stained glass, Bridge, Cribbaage, Euchre, Pinochle, women's club, men's club, travel club, photography club, arts and crafts...and so on...two pontoon boats on the lake, hot tab, swimming pools, and a lots of parties! ...I do not like parties :(

I am doing some extra dirt-digging since I am included in the garden tour this October...not because I am a such a great gardener, but because there are not so many. It would be great to get my dearest Pixie by then :)