Plant Show

Kingdavid

Esteemed Member
17/09/12
Come on down to Wilton Manor this weekend Sat and Sunday8 till 5 , i will be selling some good crotons . Our booth is Crotons-r-us . Got some super looking Yellow Stoplights .Iresistables .turtle shells , Frank Brown, Fishbone ,Ashley King, Casscade ,Freak , Pink Passion , Yellow Duke of Widsor . Reg Duke of Windsor ,etc etc . Come see us this weekend at the Tropica Plant Fair Thanks David

David,
I look forward to coming down and getting some crotons from you this weekend. I hope you have a tortoise shell left by Sunday morning, as that has been on my wish list. I have enjoyed getting to meet members of the croton forum and have become completely addicted to crotons again since joining the forum. I have been tearing up more lawn all Spring Break to make room for more gardens. With two more plant sales this weekend I am going to be way over my plant budget. Oh well, no trips this summer. :eek:

David,
I look forward to coming down and getting some crotons from you this weekend. I hope you have a tortoise shell left by Sunday morning, as that has been on my wish list. I have enjoyed getting to meet members of the croton forum and have become completely addicted to crotons again since joining the forum. I have been tearing up more lawn all Spring Break to make room for more gardens. With two more plant sales this weekend I am going to be way over my plant budget. Oh well, no trips this summer. :eek:

Oh Karl - you've been bitten Emoticon.png
CrotonRawBugFinal.jpg

I was bitten by the croton bug when I first saw Mark Peters stand at a plant sale shortly after moving down to Florida from Rhode Island, and was bitten harder when I visited Ree Gardens and saw all of the unusual varieties there that I had never seen before. I got turned off a bit by scale and switched to cordylines for a while, but had a great year with my crotons putting on growth and coloring up last summer and seem to have gotten the dreaded scale under control. Now I am going in the same direction as Scott and mixing crotons and cordylines, so have been doubly bitten. Seeing the amazing examples of crotons on this forum, I think I am definitely leaning back toward crotons. It is nice getting bitten by something that I don't have an allergic reaction to (unlike the darn fire ants here in Florida which have left me with many a lovely scar on my hands, feet, legs, arms, etc.).

I was bitten by the croton bug when I first saw Mark Peters stand at a plant sale shortly after moving down to Florida from Rhode Island, and was bitten harder when I visited Ree Gardens and saw all of the unusual varieties there that I had never seen before. I got turned off a bit by scale and switched to cordylines for a while, but had a great year with my crotons putting on growth and coloring up last summer and seem to have gotten the dreaded scale under control. Now I am going in the same direction as Scott and mixing crotons and cordylines, so have been doubly bitten. Seeing the amazing examples of crotons on this forum, I think I am definitely leaning back toward crotons. It is nice getting bitten by something that I don't have an allergic reaction to (unlike the darn fire ants here in Florida which have left me with many a lovely scar on my hands, feet, legs, arms, etc.).

Karl - use Bayers 3-in-1 on your crotons, it will feed and the systemic chemical in it will control the scale. It will also eliminate any fire ants that take up residence under your crotons as well. I have not seen any fire ants in my garden in many years.

I will give that a try. I usually use Malathion (which Mark Peters had recommended) every couple of months to keep the scale under control and it seems to be doing a good job, but doesn't help with the ants. The ants have actually not been too bad since the summer, but they do pop up here and there. Thanks for the suggestion, I am always happy to get advice from the people who have had to deal with this. My biggest insect pest is the little white weevils (I believe they are called Sri Lankan Weevils) that chew the crap out of many of my flowering shrubs, but if Bayers 3 in 1 is systemic maybe that will help with these as well.

Come on down to Wilton Manor this weekend Sat and Sunday8 till 5 , i will be selling some good crotons . Our booth is Crotons-r-us . Got some super looking Yellow Stoplights .Iresistables .turtle shells , Frank Brown, Fishbone ,Ashley King, Casscade ,Freak , Pink Passion , Yellow Duke of Widsor . Reg Duke of Windsor ,etc etc . Come see us this weekend at the Tropica Plant Fair Thanks David

David - I hope you do well at the sale. You are a good grower and your plants are beautiful.

David.....good luck as well, I hope your sales are real good. I did this sale three years ago, there was plenty of people but not many were buying. It came across to me as a big social event. Maybe it's gotton better.

Back from the Harry Leu Botanical Garden sale and managed to get another car load of goodies, but trying to be a bit more frugal. Several very nice starter size crotons from Mark Peters, so he obviously still has varieties that I have not gotten from him yet. Now I have one more stop before the end of my Spring Break and that is to come down to finally get some plants from David. Of course I will be going 2 hours to meet him, when he lives less than 30 minutes away from me. I do love going to different sales around the state and it is a nice opportunity for my mom to get out and do some traveling.
Just my luck that I woke up this morning with a sore throat, but unless I have a full blown nasty cold I will be down at Wilton Manor to add to my croton haul. I will probably be sick as a dog (whatever that means), when I need to start back in teaching on Monday. Maybe I will be lucky and the mega doses of vitamin C and the aloe juice I have been drinking will help me battle it off.

David, I hope your sales are great, but that you have at least a few beauties left for me tomorrow morning. As long as I can get my hands on one of those tortoise/turtle shell crotons I will be happy. :D

Back from the Harry Leu Botanical Garden sale and managed to get another car load of goodies, but trying to be a bit more frugal. Several very nice starter size crotons from Mark Peters, so he obviously still has varieties that I have not gotten from him yet. Now I have one more stop before the end of my Spring Break and that is to come down to finally get some plants from David. Of course I will be going 2 hours to meet him, when he lives less than 30 minutes away from me. I do love going to different sales around the state and it is a nice opportunity for my mom to get out and do some traveling.
Just my luck that I woke up this morning with a sore throat, but unless I have a full blown nasty cold I will be down at Wilton Manor to add to my croton haul. I will probably be sick as a dog (whatever that means), when I need to start back in teaching on Monday. Maybe I will be lucky and the mega doses of vitamin C and the aloe juice I have been drinking will help me battle it off.

David, I hope your sales are great, but that you have at least a few beauties left for me tomorrow morning. As long as I can get my hands on one of those tortoise/turtle shell crotons I will be happy. :D
got em come on

I got my Tortoise Shell and some other very nice crotons. Beautiful plants!!! It was a pleasant ride and fun little plant sale there in Wilton Manor. It was great to see business was going so well, but with the high quality plants for very reasonable prices it is no surprise that people were stocking up. Between the three plant sales over the past week, I must have gotten at least 30 new crotons. I am lucky that you are practically a neighbor, because I will certainly be getting more crotons from you when I visit. I hope the rest of your day goes equally well and am glad to see crotons are still very much in demand. See you soon in Fort Pierce. Thanks again. Karl

I got my Tortoise Shell and some other very nice crotons. Beautiful plants!!! It was a pleasant ride and fun little plant sale there in Wilton Manor. It was great to see business was going so well, but with the high quality plants for very reasonable prices it is no surprise that people were stocking up. Between the three plant sales over the past week, I must have gotten at least 30 new crotons. I am lucky that you are practically a neighbor, because I will certainly be getting more crotons from you when I visit. I hope the rest of your day goes equally well and am glad to see crotons are still very much in demand. See you soon in Fort Pierce. Thanks again. Karl
It was a pleasure meeting you today , and thanks for the buisness , we will definately keep in touch .

We will be down at Gardenfest 2015 in Plantation on the 28 and 29th at Volunteer Park Come on down we can talk crotons . We will have some good plants , ill try to get a list of some of the varieties , David

Larry will be there selling also. I have about 300 crotons to sell there as I will be selling palms up at the WPB Palm Sale. No....I'm just kidding! Lol. He'll be selling mostly bromeliads and some other odds and ends. Good luck at the sale though.

Sorry yes by Miami not the keys ..
Larry will be there selling also. I have about 300 crotons to sell there as I will be selling palms up at the WPB Palm Sale. No....I'm just kidding! Lol. He'll be selling mostly bromeliads and some other odds and ends. Good luck at the sale though.
Thanks had me thinking for a moment lol ... Good luck with the palms...

Jeff - you way underestimated your stock of crotons at this last extravaganza. You don't even have close to 300 crotons to sell other then your landscaper's supply. You better start wrapping those air layers for October or oh no ... :eek:

If anyones in the Ft Pierce area this weekend we will be at Heathcoat Botanical garden Spring Plant Show ...sat and sunday .

If anyones in the Ft Pierce area this weekend we will be at Heathcoat Botanical garden Spring Plant Show ...sat and sunday .
Wow. I did not realize how many sales were going on this coming weekend. I would stop down and see you, but have two other sales that I am trying to get to this weekend. I am glad you are close so I can stop down another time. Good luck with Heathcoat.