Another brief cold snap heading our way,weather up North looks ugly!!

My low is set at 40 F - just figures announce an upcoming garden tour and then BAM. Potential leaf drop city. :mad:

Hopefully this is our last arctic blast of this cold season. I may have to resort to juicing the crotons afterwards.

Depending on the forecaster I should see lows somewhere in the 33 -37 F range. Not a big deal as I believe I have planted in my best microclimates in the garden. My garden should be able to take down to 28 F if need be.

Oh my goodness, I turned on the weather while cooking dinner. Mistake. Local weatherman is forecasting 30 for Thursday night and a freeze warning. My closest weather station which is about the same distance from the water as I am is forecasting 32 as of a couple of hours ago.NailBitingNailBitingNailBitingNailBitingNailBiting. Tonight is forecast at 42-3 and the high tomorrow 52. Temperature is steadily going down each time I look. Weatherman says the lows could be as bad as winter of 2010, when I saw 27-28 in my garden. Only thing is I didn't have a bunch of non-established crotons at that time. Well, what is, is, and hopefully the warm up will be quick enough to avert a lot of damage. Three cold nights in a row though.Yuck

I've setup a wind break with my truck tarp and some bungee cords. That's the north side of the house. In the foreground, is a ceramic space heater that will run all night tonight and tomorrow night. All the Thai Crotons and Diffenbachia are off camera to the right. They're up against the house, out of any wind. We're supposed to hit 35 degrees tonight. Winter sucks.

IMG_0545.JPG

Oh my goodness, I turned on the weather while cooking dinner. Mistake. Local weatherman is forecasting 30 for Thursday night and a freeze warning. My closest weather station which is about the same distance from the water as I am is forecasting 32 as of a couple of hours ago.NailBitingNailBitingNailBitingNailBitingNailBiting. Tonight is forecast at 42-3 and the high tomorrow 52. Temperature is steadily going down each time I look. Weatherman says the lows could be as bad as winter of 2010, when I saw 27-28 in my garden. Only thing is I didn't have a bunch of non-established crotons at that time. Well, what is, is, and hopefully the warm up will be quick enough to avert a lot of damage. Three cold nights in a row though.Yuck
Sounds similar to what they are forecasting here in Vero Beach with a low around 28 on Friday morning. This will be the lowest since I moved to Florida and started creating my gardens. I have been putting in so many new plants this year, between aroids, cordylines, and crotons, that I am very concerned. Just like when I lived up in New England, I have been pushing the hardiness zone with plenty of borderline plants so may be screwed if it really does get below 30 for any length of time. Looks like I will be busy at the plant sales this Spring buying replacement plants. Maybe I will get lucky and they will survive it. Good luck on the West Coast.

My new forecasted low is now down in the 32 -34 range. The good news in all of this is that we are not in Dec. or Jan. with this type of front coming down. Lets hope the weather forecasters mess this one up in our favor.

My new forecasted low is now down in the 32 -34 range. The good news in all of this is that we are not in Dec. or Jan. with this type of front coming down. Lets hope the weather forecasters mess this one up in our favor.
They had been forecasting 36 for this morning and it is 43 now, so maybe we will be equally lucky tomorrow. Granted it could drop a few more degrees this morning, but should not go below 40. It looks like it went from 28 to around 33 for tomorrow morning on the latest forecast, so that is a step in the right direction.

Temps here much warmer than forecast,we only made in down to 52,how could they get the temps wrong by 7 degrees from a forecast from 11pm last night??Anyways I hope the same thing happens tomorrow.

29 forecast for here in Apopka record low. Been a few years since we had it this cold.
I uncovered everything a week too early. bummer.
The crotons are all in pots here cause I know this happens.
My bromeliads under oak with a frost cover should be fine.

Latest forecast for my area is now 31. I just came in from a cold stroll thru the garden for the last look as it was.
pizap.com14243805392091.jpg

Well that 33 forecast this morning in Vero Beach sounds good now. The latest is down to 25-30 in the Treasure Coast, which would easily break records. Lowest will be inland, but still likely below freezing here. Poor little plants are gonna take a beating. Watered as much as I could, dragged potted plants into the carport and against the walls, and used up all my old towels to cover a few sensitive plants. Now all I can do is hope for the best. I was assuming Global Warming would keep this cold from following me down from New England. Darn Arctic air needs to stay where it belongs.

Weather Underground has not changed my forecast low, however NWS has just amended my low down to 38 F, its gonna be a long night. Got my jackets, boots and thermal socks already staged. I'll start dragging the hose @ 4:00 am, low temp forcast is 5:00 am. Thank God its a Friday, all those commuters will be warming the air much faster then if it were a Saturday.

Its 11 and temps are already down to 38 NOT GOOD going to b a long night ...... Freeze warning lows in the upper 20s west of US1 ... 1000 plants worth of hard work in MOTHER NA TURES HANDS hopes she is nice ......Wishing us ALL good luck ...

Woke up to 32 degrees and wind chill makes it feel like 26. It will be a few hours before it starts to warm up, so I hope it doesn't drop any further. Now I will need to wait and see how the plants handle it. I know it can take a while for the damage to be evident, so only time will tell the impact.

42 F here at 5:30 am and very grateful. Could have been worse. Anticipate some damage but hopefully no casualties.
Ron,
I am glad you stayed out of the 30's, at least you should still be in pretty good shape for your garden tour. We have had temps in the 40's here a few times this winter and there was only minimal damage, so hopefully you will come out of it better than expected. Please let this be the last of the COLD weather for this season. I am ready to see the plants start kicking into Spring growth mode.

Latest forecast for my area is now 31. I just came in from a cold stroll thru the garden for the last look as it was. View attachment 30852
How did you make out Scott? I assume Tampa was close to what we had over here. The temp is on the way up now, so it looks like 32 was the low and that did not last very long. Safe to say I will be having some leaf drop on the crotons, but I hope they all pull through. I am guessing the new growth on several of my aroids (philodendrons, anthuriums, etc.) will be damaged as well.

41 here in Plantation.My Hibiscus does not look too happy and some leaf burn on some new growth.A rapid warm up should help.

42 in Boca Raton. Remember, you won't know the real damage for at least 10 days.
That is why I am not getting my hopes up too soon. I remember the last few winters plants looked like they breezed through a cold period and shortly after they went down hill with some never recovering. I won't be confident until we have several weeks of warm weather and I see the plants pushing plenty of nice new growth.

How did you make out Scott? I assume Tampa was close to what we had over here. The temp is on the way up now, so it looks like 32 was the low and that did not last very long. Safe to say I will be having some leaf drop on the crotons, but I hope they all pull through. I am guessing the new growth on several of my aroids (philodendrons, anthuriums, etc.) will be damaged as well.
I recorded a brief low of 34 out in the open area of the garden. Wind stayed around and kept the frost away. I am thankful that this came now instead of back in Dec or Jan as it would have been really bad.

007.JPG
006.JPG
015.JPG
Got up at 4 am loaded up on clothes turned on the hose no water . hose frozed started walking on hose got it going had... 31 degrees at 4 am sprayed the plants for 3 hrs till sun came up still had ice around the plants ...the thing we do for our Crotons ......
015.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG

60 degrees this morning, which is about 30 degrees higher than yesterday at this time. That's more like it, at least I don't have to worry about any further damage. I hope we have seen the last of the cold this year.