Spring 2015 Garden Tour in Miami

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Croton Garden Tour at Moose Land

After much apprehension, I’ve decided to host a garden tour. After seeing all the wonderful gardens over the years, mine simply does not compare. It’s my garden and it is what it is – to attain the high standards we have become accustomed, then a tour here will never happen.

No other garden tours are scheduled. The Auction should be done by 1:30 pm. For those who do not have to travel so far, you may want to visit some other gardens in Miami on your own.

Date: Saturday April 25th

Time: Garden will be open at Sunrise

Crotons: There are approximately 280 different cultivars planted in the garden.

Palms: Palm trees are my first love. There are lots of palms, many that were planted 19-20 years ago.

Food: Continental type Breakfast/Brunch. Donations of fruit, baked goods, etc … is greatly appreciated. No items that require refrigeration or heating please.

Sorry - There will be no tables and chairs for dining.

Parking will be at the back of the cemetery located just NW of my home. The earlier you arrive, the less you walk.

Auction will start at 10:30 am. The early auction time is for the benefit of the West Coasters who often have to leave before our past auctions have ended. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to visit another garden if you choose. Or perhaps a late lunch at Versailles Restaurant, a mecca for Cuban Cuisine that’s approximately 1 mile from the Moose Land.

I’m sure I’m missing many details, the thread will be updated. Please PM me if you have questions, need my location or are bringing some yummy stuff for the Brunch. Please RSVP so adequate food and drink will be available.

Garden Tour Guidelines:

There will be no formal guided tour, too much like trying to herd cats. Wander around and enjoy the colors.

Please do not move any tags in the garden, that way none get misplaced. If you want to know what a particular cultivar is, just ask. The garden is not so large that I will not be close at hand.

Wear tennis shoes, work boots or sturdy type foot apparel. The garden is heavily mulched and uneven in many areas. Open toed shoes, sandals and crocs are strongly discouraged. You will not be comfortable if you wear these.

Shouldn’t have to say it but – no cuttings allowed and please don’t ask. Cuttings can be discussed on another date.

Crotons in containers found in the garden will not available for purchase, trade, etc …

Absolutely no pets.

Please do not park on my easement (swale areas between the sidewalk and street). There are over 50 crotons planted in the easement and your vehicle will take away from their ambiance.

The garden will be open at sunrise. The earlier you arrive, the more attention I can give regarding plant identification.

Some Auction Guidelines:

A large crowd is anticipated. To make the Auction experience enjoyable to everyone, these are the guidelines.

1. Tag your plants, cultivar name (if known) and your own name. Plastic tags or Popsicle sticks work the best. Phil Stager cuts up old thin blinds, which work great and don’t cost anything. Please don’t show up ripping little pieces of paper and writing names. The auctioneer and assistant don’t need the aggravation.

2. There will be a limit of 5 plants per household allowed in the auction for all the East Coast folks. The West Coast folk’s allotment will be increased to 7 to allow them to recoup some gas costs. David King will be included in the 7 plant category due to his long commute.

3. Jerry Schilling’s Daisy Foundation plants – there will be no limit

4. Randy Weisner – no limit. By the time the auction happens, he may be overwhelmed with his container collection. The option is up to him

5. The limits are to try and prevent a super long auction. 2-3 hours seems to be the limit most can endure.

6. Don’t be cheater and try to sneak in more than your assigned limit. It’s not fair to those who follow the rules.

7. An area that will be separate from the auction plants will be provided for outright selling and trading.

8. The auction will take place directly across the street from my home. After surveying my garden there was no area that could accommodate everyone where they could see. My neighbor Manny has graciously offered the area beneath his massive oak tree so the plants and participants will all be comfortable in the shade.

9. Do not block Manny’s drive gate. This will plant drop off point. Unload you plants – then go park your vehicle, there will be plenty of time to talk crotons after you park.

10. If you plan on sitting, you need to bring a chair, none will be provided. If you find a chair, it’s not mine, your hijacking someone who brought one.

I don't know how to contact the following individuals, if you do, please contact them to let them know about the garden tour. Or PM me their contact info. I don't believe these people monitor this forum.

Bob Alonzo

Jesse Durko

Connie Hoerstgen

Mark Hooten

Harold Lee

Cleo Millare

Ron Parlett

Bob Sabourne

Hans Reiter

Johnny Shelton

Stan Wood

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Dang Moose, did you just rewrite the rules book or WHAT!! I'm going to need to talk to a law...yer.

The dates sound good and I'm happy you finally decided to do it. I look forward to it.

Ron, I am very much looking forward to this event. I know that I can be my own harshest critic with my work, but I have seen your property, albeit two years ago, and it was exemplary even at that time. This will be a fantastic day! Thanks for being up for it.

I've heard a rumor from a very reliable source that a three gallon Daisy's Dance will be offered at the auction for the benefit of the Little Daisy Fund. This is a cultivar that Jerry Schilling created by crossing of Sybil Griffen & Mrs. Snyder's Disraeli. It should draw much attention and bidding - first time ever made available.
DD 1.jpg
DD2.jpg
DD3.jpg

Here are some older pictures of the mother plant. Some photos of the Daisy's Dance to be auctioned may be forthcoming soon. Has that for a rumor?

Last edited:
Palms are my first love when it comes to plants. As much as I enjoy the crotons, they are but accessory plants to the palms.

Here is a list of palms in the Moose Land ...

Acrocomia aculeate - Macaw Palm.

Bactris gasipaes (looks horrible) – Peach Palm

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis (No windows)

Bismarckia nobilis

Calyptronoma rivalis

Calyptrocalyx elegans var. ‘Bolak’

Carpoxylon macrospermum

Caryota cumingii (been flowering for several years, on its way to palm heaven)

Caryota maxima – Giant Fishtail Palm

Caryota sp. ‘Elvis’ (clusters when young, undescribed species)

Chamaedorea adscendens

Chamaedorea brachypoda

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti - Understory Fishtail Palm.

Chamaedorea fragrans

Chamaedorea metallica

Chamaedorea oblongata

Chamaedorea seifrizii (volunteer) - Bamboo Palm, Reed Palm

Chambeyronia macrocarpa – Flame Thrower Palm

Coccothrinax argentata (not confirmed but high probability) - Silver Thatch Palm, Florida Silver Palm

Coccothrinax crinita (close to dead, looks like crap) – Old Man Palm

Coccothrinax hioramii

Coccothrinax miraguama

Coccothrinax montana

Coccothrinax scoparia - Highland Silver Palm

Coccothrinax spissa - Hispaniola Belly Palm

Cocos nucifera var. 'Fiji dwarf', (‘samoan dwarf’) – Coconut

Cocos nucifera var. 'Red Malayan dwarf' – Coconut dark orange nuts

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia ekmanii (not sure if true, possible cross)

Copernicia hospita (‘blue form’)

Copernicia macroglossa – Cuban Petticoat Palm

Corypha umbraculifera – Talipot Palm

Corypha utan

Cryosophila warscewiczii (acquired as Cryosophila albida) Root Spine Palm

Crytostachys Hybrid – Crytostachys elegans X renda, reddish crownshafts, much more cold hardier then renda

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis canaliculata

Dypsis pembana

Dypsis psammophila

Dypsis sp. Malagassy (yet to be identified, could potentially be an undescribed species)

Elaeis guineensis - Arican Oil Palm

Gaussia maya

Gaussia princeps

Hydriastele beguinii

Hydriastele dransfieldii (formerly Siphokentia dransfeldii)

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis – Bottle Palm

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii – Spindle Palm

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Kerriodoxa elegans - White Elephant Palm

Latania lontaroides – Red Latan Palm

Leucothrinax morrissii (formerly Thrinax morrissii)

Licuala grandis

Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'

Livistona decora (called Livistona decipiens when planted) – Australian Ribbon Palm

Phoenix canariensis – Canary Island Date

Pritchardia hillebrandii

Pritchardia pacifica

Pritchardia remota

Pritchardia thurstonii

Pritchardia sp. (ID unknown, could be a 5th different species)

Pseudophoenix sargentii - Buccaneer palm, Sargent’s cherry palm

Pseudophoenix vinifera - Cherry Palm, Wine Palm

Ptychosperma elegans – Solitare Palm

Ptychosperma sp. ‘Woto Boho’ (possibly non clustering form of Ptychosperma burretianum)

Ptychosperma waitianum

Rhapis excels – Lady Palm

Rhapis robusta - Robust-caned bamboo palm, Robust lady palm

Roystonea regia – Royal Palm

Sabal domingensis - Hispaniola palmetto, Hispaniola palm, Dominican palm

Sabal palmetto ‘Lisa’ (a mutant form discovered in the Ft. Myers, FL area)

Saribus rotundifolia (was called Livistona rotundifolia when planted)

Satakentia liukiuensis - Satake Palm

Tahina spectabilis

Thrinax radiate – Florida Thatch Palm

Veitchia winin – Winin Palm

Zombia antillarum - Zombie Palm

a few amendments to mooseland
Please no flash photography
You will be admitted in a single file line. (Please do not lagg behind) do not fall more than 4 steps behind the person in front of you
Please refrain from questions till end of tour
Do not wonder of of pathways
No talking louder than a whisper
Keep hand to yourself at all time
No feeding of the animals
Please use facility's before you arrive as there is only 1 porta potty in parking lot

Palms are my first love when it comes to plants. As much as I enjoy the crotons, they are but accessory plants to the palms.

Here is a list of palms in the Moose Land ...

Acrocomia aculeate - Macaw Palm.

Bactris gasipaes (looks horrible) – Peach Palm

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis (No windows)

Bismarckia nobilis

Calyptronoma rivalis

Calyptrocalyx elegans var. ‘Bolak’

Carpoxylon macrospermum

Caryota cumingii (been flowering for several years, on its way to palm heaven)

Caryota maxima – Giant Fishtail Palm

Caryota sp. ‘Elvis’ (clusters when young, undescribed species)

Chamaedorea adscendens

Chamaedorea brachypoda

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti - Understory Fishtail Palm.

Chamaedorea fragrans

Chamaedorea metallica

Chamaedorea oblongata

Chamaedorea seifrizii (volunteer) - Bamboo Palm, Reed Palm

Chambeyronia macrocarpa – Flame Thrower Palm

Coccothrinax argentata (not confirmed but high probability) - Silver Thatch Palm, Florida Silver Palm

Coccothrinax crinita (close to dead, looks like crap) – Old Man Palm

Coccothrinax hioramii

Coccothrinax miraguama

Coccothrinax montana

Coccothrinax scoparia - Highland Silver Palm

Coccothrinax spissa - Hispaniola Belly Palm

Cocos nucifera var. 'Fiji dwarf', (‘samoan dwarf’) – Coconut

Cocos nucifera var. 'Red Malayan dwarf' – Coconut dark orange nuts

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia ekmanii (not sure if true, possible cross)

Copernicia hospita (‘blue form’)

Copernicia macroglossa – Cuban Petticoat Palm

Corypha umbraculifera – Talipot Palm

Corypha utan

Cryosophila warscewiczii (acquired as Cryosophila albida) Root Spine Palm

Crytostachys Hybrid – Crytostachys elegans X renda, reddish crownshafts, much more cold hardier then renda

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis canaliculata

Dypsis pembana

Dypsis psammophila

Dypsis sp. Malagassy (yet to be identified, could potentially be an undescribed species)

Elaeis guineensis - Arican Oil Palm

Gaussia maya

Gaussia princeps

Hydriastele beguinii

Hydriastele dransfieldii (formerly Siphokentia dransfeldii)

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis – Bottle Palm

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii – Spindle Palm

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Kerriodoxa elegans - White Elephant Palm

Latania lontaroides – Red Latan Palm

Leucothrinax morrissii (formerly Thrinax morrissii)

Licuala grandis

Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'

Livistona decora (called Livistona decipiens when planted) – Australian Ribbon Palm

Phoenix canariensis – Canary Island Date

Pritchardia hillebrandii

Pritchardia pacifica

Pritchardia remota

Pritchardia thurstonii

Pritchardia sp. (ID unknown, could be a 5th different species)

Pseudophoenix sargentii - Buccaneer palm, Sargent’s cherry palm

Pseudophoenix vinifera - Cherry Palm, Wine Palm

Ptychosperma elegans – Solitare Palm

Ptychosperma sp. ‘Woto Boho’ (possibly non clustering form of Ptychosperma burretianum)

Ptychosperma waitianum

Rhapis excels – Lady Palm

Rhapis robusta - Robust-caned bamboo palm, Robust lady palm

Roystonea regia – Royal Palm

Sabal domingensis - Hispaniola palmetto, Hispaniola palm, Dominican palm

Sabal palmetto ‘Lisa’ (a mutant form discovered in the Ft. Myers, FL area)

Saribus rotundifolia (was called Livistona rotundifolia when planted)

Satakentia liukiuensis - Satake Palm

Tahina spectabilis

Thrinax radiate – Florida Thatch Palm

Veitchia winin – Winin Palm

Zombia antillarum - Zombie Palm

a few amendments to mooseland
Please no flash photography
You will be admitted in a single file line. (Please do not lagg behind) do not fall more than 4 steps behind the person in front of you
Please refrain from questions till end of tour
Do not wonder of of pathways
No talking louder than a whisper
Keep hand to yourself at all time
No feeding of the animals
Please use facility's before you arrive as there is only 1 porta potty in parking lot

Mr. "D" - Moose Land was offered as a venue for a Spring get together. I'm just a middle class guy that enjoys crotons and many other types of plants. Since it appeared that no other garden was willing to host, I stepped forward.

Unfortunately Moose Land is woefully lacking in facilities and is way beneath your acceptable standards. I will gladly step aside and allow you to host the event on April 25th in your garden. Looking forward to seeing it, will have pen and paper taking notes how such a happening should be organized.

Thank you for stepping up. Please post a few photos of your splendid garden so we can see what we have to look forward to. I cannot recollect you posting any. Is there any specific food you would like me to bring for your picnic?

fog.jpg

What, no Amanita Moscaria?
LOL :D

No Perry, I don't believe I've ever seen any fruiting bodies of those. I'm not saying that there are not any living in my mulch. I was doubtful that they could survive here being they enjoy a more temperate climate. They must survive here, it looks like Mr. johnny "D" eats them. ;)

LOL :p

fog.jpg

A partial list of Crotons that are planted in the Moose Land

Acuboefolium (true form)

Acuboefolium - not true, don't know what to call it

AFD #5

AFD #7

America

American Made

Ana Lopez

Andreanum

Angel Wing

Appendiculatum

Arrowhead

Arthur Howe

Aubrey Christian

Banana (Yellow)

Baron Rothschild

Batik

Ben Alexander

Bimbo

Black Beauty

Blotched Charmer

Blotched William Jennings Bryan

Blotched Woooten’s Beauty

Bob Sabourne hybrid

Bogoriensis

Bravo

Buddy

C.I. Craigin

Cameo

Captain Gilbert Cutler

Captain Kidd

If your rumor is right- just let me say, Daisys Dance will be the most expensive plant ever bought. I have been in a dry spell with crotons, but that plant gives me the croton bug again!

I don't know how to contact the following individuals, if you do, please contact them to let them know about the garden tour. Or PM me their contact info. I don't believe these people monitor this forum.

Bob Alonzo - done

Jesse Durko - need someone to contact Jesse, anyone?

Connie Hoerstgen - done

Mark Hooten - done

Harold Lee - done

Cleo Millare - Need someone to contact Cleo, Jeff?

Ron Parlett - done

Bob Sabourne - done, spoke to him, he's coming

Hans Reiter - done

Johnny Shelton - done

Stan Wood - done

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

I'm sure Kurt Decker knows about the tour and George Zammas as well.
Not sure about Andy and Bill, but they always seem to show up at any event where cool plants are involved.

A few more that are in the ground ...

Cardinal ?

Caribbean Star

Carmen Christian

Catherine Gephart

Charles Rutherford

Charmer

Chief ?

Chili Pan

Chili Pan X Jungle Queen (Chris’ hybrid)

Christiana

Christian’s Landscape

Christmas

Chrysophyllum

Claude Lorraine

Heading to Harrell's tomorrow, got to get the croton mojo going - April 25 is approaching. Hope every is primping and preening their very best plants for the auction. I suspect that the rarest and very best will be making their way to the Moose Land auction.
emoticon.jpg

If your rumor is right- just let me say, Daisys Dance will be the most expensive plant ever bought. I have been in a dry spell with crotons, but that plant gives me the croton bug again!

The rumor is confirmed. Jerry told me of his intentions but still had to work out his logistics, Here is another Jerry creation that will be making the auction, Pixie Abilene Little

pixie 3.jpg
pixie 2.jpg
pixie 1.jpg

Some more crotons that are in the ground in Moose Land

Clipper

C@(k & Balls (C & B)

Colin Kelly

Columbia

Columbiana

Colonel Bob Bullock

Commotion

Compte’ de Castelaine