Possible coolest weather of the season on tap for Valentine's day??

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
Weather report says 42 lows on saturday,so far I have only seen 48 this winter.Nothing to worry about but still chilly !!

:eek::eek::eek:Really makes me mad.... at myself! A few days ago when the forecast showed nothing but 50's for the lows in the 10 day forecast, I went out and did 4 air layers. I wanted to make sure they'd be ready for the spring meeting/auction. Now, we're expecting 39 Friday and 38 Sunday, and close the other days. Who knows, it may forecast lower over the next few days. I'm such a dodo:mad:. I knew better, but I took a chance and now I'm mad:Sour. Will the stems be ruined :Deador will they just take longer to rootArghh?

:eek::eek::eek:Really makes me mad.... at myself! A few days ago when the forecast showed nothing but 50's for the lows in the 10 day forecast, I went out and did 4 air layers. I wanted to make sure they'd be ready for the spring meeting/auction. Now, we're expecting 39 Friday and 38 Sunday, and close the other days. Who knows, it may forecast lower over the next few days. I'm such a dodo:mad:. I knew better, but I took a chance and now I'm mad:Sour. Will the stems be ruined :Deador will they just take longer to rootArghh?

I am sure they will be fine Ana,I always layer over the winter and I have never lost a single layer.If we were talking 34-36 I would start to get worried.Also the high temps are supposed to be in the 60's so we should be fine

As my son would say Chillax (Chill Out / Relax). :cool: Ana, I doubt if your air layers have even budded their roots yet, so no new tender young roots to hurt. Your air layered branches were gonna experience these temperatures any way. Your probably just gonna have a delay in the establishment of their roots.

Unless you get hit by frost. If that happens, you will be freaking out about bunches of your plants and won't even remember the air layers. scream.jpg

I will definitely be bringing in my newly rooted cuttings that Keith gave me, plus Exotica and the Jester - they are too little and don't want no set back in their growth.

I have done a few layers this winter that I will bring inside if we dip into 30's.I am more worried about all the new growth on my plants.The garden has been thinking that it is Spring when we are actually in winter.I have new growth everywhere :(

I last fertilized Oct 10th with a 90 day product so that is mostly gone. New growth is happening but it is as vigorous. Was actually contemplating putting more down a couple of weeks ago but decided to stick to the fertilizing schedule. With all this warm weather I was thinking about juicing everything with some 20-20-20. Glad I didn't do it, big lush tender leaves would have taken a beating.

The forecast lows my location dropped 4 F from yesterday until today. It is also my understanding that the east coast will be closer to the trough and all that cold air than the west coast. Any colder and I might have to get the fire place cranked up.

There calling 38 fri night 39 sat 40 sun .on east coast ... dammmmm.. getting close to bad zone .... i sense lots of leaf drop coming dont like the 30s..

Anna -
Recall that the National Weather Service reporting station for your area is the Bradenton airport - a big open field. You should be just fine in your protected location close to the water.

Phil, I look it up by zip code. I was under the impression it's an estimate from a smaller, local weather station? I have it selected on my computer to be one that is quite close, but I don't know what the conditions are at that particular station. Earlier today it was forecast at 36 on Sunday, 38 on Friday, and I think 39 another morning. Now it says 39 on Friday and Sunday:). I'm not worried about my crotons, only the effects the cold may have on my newly prepared air layers. Hopefully the true temperature will be a bit higher than expected. I think the highs will be in the 60's every day but one (58), so that's good. We'll see. You know how things change from day to day.:rolleyes:

Expected low temps drifting upwards,calling for 45 lows now instead of 42.Hope the trend continues

Well I was miffed this morning when I saw your low was drifting upward while mine had remained the same. I even double checked as your forecast low was 1 F above mine. Now my low has been revised upwards to 46 F, which makes me a bit more happy.

Mine too, Scott. But next week another cold front on Wednesday and Thursday. Thirty-nine again. Let's see what they say in a couple of days. I've already had 41 here a couple of times this winter. Hoping the air layers don't suffer too much. It sure is chilly here today. Didn't get much warm-up today and it's windy. Beautiful, clear, blue skies, though.:D.

47 here,beat my previous low by 1 degree,will warm back up to 70 today.Another brief cold snap expected thursday am.We might have seen our low temps for this season last night???

47 here,beat my previous low by 1 degree,will warm back up to 70 today.Another brief cold snap expected thursday am.We might have seen our low temps for this season last night???

Warming up to the 70's - its feels much colder then that here. Went to my truck parked in full sun - 76 F. When you park a vehicle in full sun, it will register a much more significant temperature then the ambient temp. According to Weather Underground 63.3 F, which seems like what I feel.

39 last night here toooo .... my freind got 37 in Okeechobee...... next thur and friday not good wed its going to be in the 80s then dive to 40s thur and fri. WOW..

Tampa Bay had a warmer night then Miami..although Miami came back with a nice 76f Same as what we are having.

As my son would say Chillax (Chill Out / Relax). :cool: Ana, I doubt if your air layers have even budded their roots yet, so no new tender young roots to hurt. Your air layered branches were gonna experience these temperatures any way. Your probably just gonna have a delay in the establishment of their roots.

Unless you get hit by frost. If that happens, you will be freaking out about bunches of your plants and won't even remember the air layers. View attachment 30743

Ana, see - you are now fretting about many of your plants ColdFeet, air layers are down the priority list NailBiting :Cold

Temps here much warmer than forecast,we only made in down to 52,how could they get the temps wrong by 7 degrees from a forecast from 11pm last night??Anyways I hope the same thing happens tomorrow.