A Gift From The Clouds

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Received some nice rain (just shy of 2") overnight here in my area. Rains have been pretty good this winter. Anyone else getting good rains this winter?

I am hesitant to speak of great weather but so far, this winter has been fantastic here in extreme South Pete. Mild temps & ample rain to get through. New palms & plants from last yr are actually waking up & looking good. Watch, now that I said that, some freakish freeze & drought will develop.

We had a very nice rain morning, followed by a little more wind than we needed. I saw on the news Randy's area had a 100 mph Twister.

I am hesitant to speak of great weather but so far, this winter has been fantastic here in extreme South Pete. Mild temps & ample rain to get through. New palms & plants from last yr are actually waking up & looking good. Watch, now that I said that, some freakish freeze & drought will develop.
Bren, This coming week looks to have some cool weather coming in again. Spring weather can not be far away now. Counted 16 pairs of Wood Storks returning today to their nesting site here on the island on the lake. This return is 2 weeks ahead of normal. They may know more about the weather than any of us.
pizap.com14234199138041.jpg

Hopefully this is the last cold front. I leave super early sat for Jamaica so I can't protect anything. Love those storks!

I am glad February is behind us now. Received a good soaking yesterday of 1.31", giving me a total of 3.7" of rain for the month. Recorded a high of 79f and a low of 34f for the monthly low. Forecast calls for some highs in the 80's this week.

Its been rather dry here, been dragging the hose trying to get the crotons to flush new growth in time for the Garden Tour April 25th. Put down 150 lbs of Harrell's 23-8-8 on top of the mulch. Hopefully it reaches the roots and works its magic. If may sound like a lot of fertilizer but dispersed amongst 279 varieties in the ground, it averages .54 lbs. per plant, about a cup each.

At least we got a bit of rain yesterday evening. Of course weather report indicated no chance of rain until the weekend. Based on that, did some painting yesterday. Murphy's Law at work again. Checked this morning, looks like it dried enough that non washed off.

colored moose.jpg

8 days and no rain until last night, thank God. If I had not been dragging the hose just to keep a sustaining of moisture, Moose Land would have been bone dry. The rain gods have been mean to the Moose, challenging his attempts to bring his crotons out of the winter doldrums. Hosting a Spring Garden Tour is challenging without the benefit of warm temps coupled with high humidity and precipitation. With my luck, a battalion of spider mites will be attacking soon. Trying to wet all the leaves in the evenings to keep them at bay.

A surprise this evening with a hour of rain putting 2.10" in the gauge.

Desperately seeking rain here as well. I just realized my water garden in a plastic barrel was bone dry when I saw the pitcher plant withering away. I have not had to add water to that since I created it last summer.

Got a nice reprieve in the early evening . Not enough to get all the under story plants well watered but very happy what the garden got. Today is overcast and humid, that should help too. Treated for scale two days ago. Found the Cameo with a little bit of scale this morning. There was no visible scale 48 hours prior. Its amazing how quickly it can establish itself, especially with attending ants.

14 days -no measurable rain. Yesterday dark ominous clouds all around, thought for sure the garden would get a reprieve. Fell to the south, west and north - but not here. :mad:

Getting a nice shower, hope it continues. Really need 1 to 2 inches to get the crotons to perk up. Nothing gets the plants cranking better then a good soaking rain. :cool: