i'm back .... help germinating logs

KennyRE317

18/10/13
i've had a real hectic 2-3 months that i don't want to go through again but things are finally settling down and i'm trying to look forward to spring, which feels like it's right around the corner. ScotTi sent me a care package with a handful of plants from already rooted to top cuttings with no roots and i took some of the top cuttings and cut about 2" from the bottom to give myself a shot at rooting logs.

i got the care package around end of October and i vased up the top cuttings upon arrival and nodes started forming within days and roots started growing slowly but steadily, i finally got around to potting them up yesterday since the leaves really started to brown out and i figured they probably wanted actual medium and let the roots dry out a bit.

i've been having issues getting the logs to root, i know trying to root in the winter isn't the best but it was a pretty short winter and never really got all THAT cold indoors, temps never dipped under 64°F and usually stays in the high 60's .... even though it doesn't dip low indoors it didn't really get over 70's over our winter. one of the 5 logs is starting to get growth above water so that one seems to be doing something and there's quite a few root nodes growing well, the other 4 are just sitting there maybe one or two of the 4 have one root growing area but hasn't really formed yet.

i tried rooting the logs horizontally and i did change the water at least every other day, and sit in a fairly bright spot with lots of indirect sunlight on the window sill.

in socal our outdoors is really starting to warm up and our night time temps aren't really dipping much these days and i want to get a headstart on spring. i want/need to see what i'm doing wrong since i'm only planning on putting in one or two good sized orders and i want to do it soon to ensure the plants can take advantage of the 8mo growing season.

thanks in advance and happy growing

I am wondering if you let the fresh cut callous over before putting them in water. If not, this could lead to fungal issues. Usually I have heard that letting them dry and callous for a day or two is better. Or I have seen people dip the fresh cuts in wax to prevent the fresh would from being exposed to water.

This would be especially an issue the shorter the log is.

Last edited:
Staying in SoCal I have found member ScotTi Sphagnum Moss technique to work well for me, *but I have not had success rooting canes this early in the year, crown cuttings have rooted fine:

ScotTi Sphagnum Moss Baggies
"The logs are placed in a baggie in wet sphagnum moss and left until you get nice white roots showing in the baggie."

What I have gotten from his post over on the "How to Propagate Cordylines (Ti plants) thread:
1. Pre-soak logs in liquid seaweed and water mixture (2oz. per gallon of water) for approximately 24-48 hours
2. Place bottom of log in liquid seaweed soaked moss and into bags

Head over to the "How to ..." forum and read through there, around pg. 5+ is where the bag rooting method is talked about with pictures.

I believe one of my issues when I started rooting was I would over saturate the medium w water and/or started too early.

Hope some of this helps and good luck.

I do not have luck with rooting the logs from Nov - Feb, they just rot. I tried top cuttings with leaves in late Nov and they look really bad at this time. I checked them for roots today, but no signs of roots were noted. I do it all the rooting outside and the temps are to cool for rooting this time of year. I was going to try using one of those heat type pads to give some warmth, but I never got around to it. The moss and bag method has given me 100% results in late spring and summer.

I do not have luck with rooting the logs from Nov - Feb, they just rot. I tried top cuttings with leaves in late Nov and they look really bad at this time. I checked them for roots today, but no signs of roots were noted. I do it all the rooting outside and the temps are to cool for rooting this time of year. I was going to try using one of those heat type pads to give some warmth, but I never got around to it. The moss and bag method has given me 100% results in late spring and summer.

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/11658/diy-heat-mat-speeds-seed-starting

http://growace.com/20-75-x-20-root-radiance-heat-mat.html?gclid=CJGih4KDyMMCFZMvgQod3JAAcw

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-...gclid=CNjG37aDyMMCFdNj7AodsH4A8g&gclsrc=aw.ds

the top cuttings you gave me looked real good indoors in a vase of water for about 3 months, with a bunch of root nodes after a couple of days. the new growth started coming out brown recently so i figured it was time to take them out. we'll see how they do in the upcoming weeks/months outdoors but it's been pretty warm outside and decent overnight temps. they're getting a few hours morning sun so i hope they perk right up.

i've been delaying the whole heat mat thing but i know by next cool season i'll be prepared. i really want to keep trying to root over winter and then plant by very early spring just to give me a headstart

here's the one stem cutting that showed progress, the others have one or 2 root node that are starting but not really going anywhere. this one was done over winter in a normally unheated home where temps stayed in the 62°-69°

Attachments

• IMG_7179 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7179 (Large).JPG
    126 KB · Views: 171
here's the one stem cutting that showed progress, the others have one or 2 root node that are starting but not really going anywhere. this one was done over winter in a normally unheated home where temps stayed in the 62°-69°
Kenny, I would put that log in soil now with the those growth buds just showing a bit in the top of the soil.

Kenny, I just reread your first post and noticed you started with a 2" log. Wow! I really like the largest log I can get and have never started with them under 5". I have started most logs in the 6" - 8" range.

Kenny, I just reread your first post and noticed you started with a 2" log. Wow! I really like the largest log I can get and have never started with them under 5". I have started most logs in the 6" - 8" range.
i'm going to put it in soil tomorrow, it's been sitting without water and the log is still "wet" but i'm going to rinse her down in a bit. i took these from the top cuttings you gave me and i didn't want to trim off that much since stem lengths of the top cuttings were just about perfect for a 1gal nursery bucket. when i potted up the top cuttings i was able to put about 2-3" of bottom soil and then filled up the rest of the pot with the top cutting and soil. i think when i put in my order they'll all come in the 6-10" range and i'll root them horizontally then and i won't trim it so it'll most likely be much easier to root

Also of note but not trying to discourage growing from logs as that is about the only way to get the varieties we crave. Not all Ti varieties are created equal. Many log started Ti will show true to color after the first year, but some you will need to wait until the second and even third year. Here is Betty Lou started from a 6" log, rooted vertical now just beginning to show some color after 33 months.
Img_8642.jpg

I was going to try using one of those heat type pads to give some warmth, but I never got around to it.
When water beds were all the rage, getting a used water bed heating mat used to be a breeze to find at garage sales, etc. They were waterproof, and dealt with the same temps that seeds and cuttings need - and with a thermostat.

So keep your eyes out for them. Maybe even Craigs List. But they would be a lot cheaper than the real deal.

When water beds were all the rage, getting a used water bed heating mat used to be a breeze to find at garage sales, etc. They were waterproof, and dealt with the same temps that seeds and cuttings need - and with a thermostat.

So keep your eyes out for them. Maybe even Craigs List. But they would be a lot cheaper than the real deal.
Good idea Dean! I will not need to look far. I just parted with my water bed a few years ago and still have the heating mat.