Twin Spears

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Twin 1.JPG
Twin 2.JPG

Twin spear leaves of Satakentia liukiuensis. This palm is often seen with two spears. As the older spear opens, the other holds until until the next spear catches up.

Twin 3.JPG

Some decent coloring found on the crown shaft.

I'm glad to see that on someone else's Sata. I have had mine do this consistently over the years - sometimes even having 3 or 4 spears in a flush reminiscent of a cycad. I had been told it's a lack of water and other things. But the palms look normal after opening all of the "flush," and it seems to happen at the same time of year - right around now.

Moose - your palm is a bit larger than mine, and I have been disappointed that the crownshafts on all three of mine are still just a green color. Do you recall if yours has always had color, or if has gained more as it has gotten larger?

I'm glad to see that on someone else's Sata. I have had mine do this consistently over the years - sometimes even having 3 or 4 spears in a flush reminiscent of a cycad. I had been told it's a lack of water and other things. But the palms look normal after opening all of the "flush," and it seems to happen at the same time of year - right around now.

Moose - your palm is a bit larger than mine, and I have been disappointed that the crownshafts on all three of mine are still just a green color. Do you recall if yours has always had color, or if has gained more as it has gotten larger?

Dean - believe that the crown shaft coloring has increased with age. As far as yours getting multiple spikes, I don't see any downside as long as the spear leaves open and look "normal". My palm has really started cranking in the last couple of years. Liberating a frond from the stem was an event, now its a a not again as while schlepping it to the trash bin. One thing I really love about this palm is the frond will be totally green and three days later be all brown and ready to be pulled away from the crownshaft. Not a very long transition time, when the fronds functionality has ceased, quick ejection follows.

:digger2 :hoe&rake