seeds

walrus

10/01/15
i've had a green ti plant for 12 yrs, indoors, it stayed small, i moved to south texas a year and a half ago, it's been outside since, now it's 6ft, it loves it here, it's never flowered until now, will it go to seed , if so how do i know when the seeds are mature?

A photo would be very helpful because there are several types of green Ti Plants. I have about 4 different types that could be called a "green Ti." The most common and traditional "green Ti" has never flowered for me here in Hawaii. And I was never able to keep it alive in So. California. So, I have a suspicion that what you have may not be what I know as the Green Ti - and any advice I would give would be about this plant.

Let's hear what ScotTi - our resident Ti Guru has to add.

i've had a green ti plant for 12 yrs, indoors, it stayed small, i moved to south texas a year and a half ago, it's been outside since, now it's 6ft, it loves it here, it's never flowered until now, will it go to seed , if so how do i know when the seeds are mature?
I have had many different Ti plants come into flower and most will set seed. Some Ti will load down with fruit and many only a few. I never bothered with the green one until this summer. I purchased a 2 log pack one being green the other red. The green has grown fast and has left the red behind. Here are some photos of the fruit that are hanging out now from the fall flowering. If you are going to get seed you will see the fruit set after flowering and then you will need to wait until summer for the fruit to ripen. The berries (fruit) will soften when ripe.
Img_8295.jpg
IMG_8299.JPG

A photo would be very helpful because there are several types of green Ti Plants. I have about 4 different types that could be called a "green Ti." The most common and traditional "green Ti" has never flowered for me here in Hawaii. And I was never able to keep it alive in So. California. So, I have a suspicion that what you have may not be what I know as the Green Ti - and any advice I would give would be about this plant.
Dean, Post some pictures of your green Ti's. Here is my little one...
Img_8301.jpg

Dean, Post some pictures of your green Ti's. Here is my little one... View attachment 30300
my ti plant looked like the little potted you have, i lived in a small dark house, at 7,000 ft. and kept it alive, it loves the heat and humidity here, it was a "log" sent to me from a friend where i used to live on maui, since it flowered, i ordered some today from the big island, i had given up on plants,until i moved here, i'll see if i can get someone to send a photo, thanks alot!

Walrus - if you really love these plants you should go through the other 88 threads in this section. Most are Scott's plants and some he has hybridized himself. Why have logs shipped from Hawaii, just across the Gulf you have someone with a very impressive collection.

You gotta get a Pink Floyd

Walrus - if you really love these plants you should go through the other 88 threads in this section. Most are Scott's plants and some he has hybridized himself. Why have logs shipped from Hawaii, just across the Gulf you have someone with a very impressive collection.

moose, where do i find these thread, this site is a little hard to navigate on day 2?

moose , thanks i see what threads you're talking about.

My ti plants have been blooming for the past couple of months, with more to come. Unfortunately none of the flowers have set any berries. Could it be cool weather or a lack of a pollinator? I wonder if going around with a brush would increase the chances for forming some berries?

My ti plants have been blooming for the past couple of months, with more to come. Unfortunately none of the flowers have set any berries. Could it be cool weather or a lack of a pollinator? I wonder if going around with a brush would increase the chances for forming some berries?
Ken, I would give the brush pollination a try if you do not notice any pollinators. I notice honey bees and wasp on my Ti flowers every day.

Do you need a Pink Floyd fix Ron? I will get you some photos soon and a update on the second Pink Floyd.

A pleasant surprise this year has been a mini population explosion in bees. Something that has been noticeably lacking in recent years. And they seem to like the Ti Plants quite a bit. With all my new flowers, I'll make note and see if I have good seed production.

A pleasant surprise this year has been a mini population explosion in bees. Something that has been noticeably lacking in recent years. And they seem to like the Ti Plants quite a bit. With all my new flowers, I'll make note and see if I have good seed production.
I wish you good luck in seed production. I have noticed bees here, but none on the ti plants. This week they seem occupied by the hundreds on my blooming Dombeya tree.

interesting to read that you never could keep one alive in socal. i know of 2 homes in the neighborhood that i pass by daily that have a "green Ti" both are grown outdoors with very little care. now that i have a camera on my phone that's decent i'll take some photos in a bit when i take the dog out for the morning walk

interesting to read that you never could keep one alive in socal. i know of 2 homes in the neighborhood that i pass by daily that have a "green Ti" both are grown outdoors with very little care. now that i have a camera on my phone that's decent i'll take some photos in a bit when i take the dog out for the morning walk
As noted elsewhere - there are several, if not many, "green Ti Plants" out there. I would be curious to see a pic, although they can be difficult to differentiate sometimes without proper scale and perspective. I tried growing my Hawaiian Green Ti in shade - perhaps not the best exposure.

Here is what I call Green Ti - the typical and traditional Hawaiian Green Ti that everyone cooks with.
IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1782.jpg
Here is another variety - much smaller and more compact.
IMG_1770.jpg
Here is one that would probably grow fine in SoCal. Much thicker leaves. It may not even be a C. fruticosa. But I haven't seen it elsewhere .
IMG_1772.jpg
Here is a much smaller leaved "Green Ti"
IMG_1777.jpg IMG_1778.jpg
This looks to be a dwarf form of the Hawaiian Ti - same exact form, just smaller all around.
IMG_1781.jpg
Here is another that has a tinge of color in the petiole when placed in full sun - but otherwise another "Green Ti"
IMG_1785.jpg
And another
IMG_1784.jpg
And yet another that gets sold as "Green Ti" but isn't even a Cordyline - I think it is a type of Dracaena
IMG_1783.jpg
And I have another that a pig just ate the top off, with slightly ruffled edges and a floppy leaf. And I know of some several green Cordyline australis as well.

Dean, Do any of your Green Ti have a very fine red edge to the leaf? I purchased from Hawaii last Summer what was sold as 2 Green Hawaiian Ti logs. The green one has a very fine red edge trim and has proven to be a very fast grower with rather large leaves. The other log turned out red, but that's ok with me.

Yes Scott - I have one variety with a super thin red edge, and another with a super thin purple edge - neither pictured above.

But the traditional Green Ti is strictly green - no color anywhere.

Here is a close up of my green Ti showing a little color on the leaf edge.
Img_8661.jpg

I was surprised with this seedling that was green with pink edge for the last 2 years.
Img_8684.jpg

Dean: here is what I consider La'i, "green Ti" that I have been growing in So.CA from a cutting from family's yard in HI, about 6 foot at time we cut it up. This is the first time that the green has sent out inflorescence; it has a light purple outer appearance but the flowers have not begun to open. We have used the leaves for food prep. but mostly hula comp. skirts and haku.

Is this what you consider traditional Hawaiian Green Ti?
IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

your ti looks just like the one i have, mine is a little wind whipped, but it was beautiful last summer, keep it in the shade, pretty intense here, in july and august

i started my old plant, vertically , the logs i just started, and are sprouting, i am doing them laying down, because it was to hard to figure out, top from bottom, when i transplant them should i leave part of the log above ground. tempted to cut one that has a lot of sprouts in half, i don't know if both pieces would die?

i started my old plant, vertically , the logs i just started, and are sprouting, i am doing them laying down, because it was to hard to figure out, top from bottom, when i transplant them should i leave part of the log above ground. tempted to cut one that has a lot of sprouts in half, i don't know if both pieces would die?
How long is the log you want to cut in half? If is a 8"+ log I would say cut it. With the green Ti it may be ok to cut a 6" log in half. When you transplant cover the log with 1/8" - 1/4". If you like a really nice full bushy looking Ti let all the sprouts develop together.