Seeing Some Potential Here

If I do, you will have to use that to log in. So let me know you have read this, and then next time your login is rejected you will have to use ScotTi from then on.
Dean, Understandable Cigar Thank you!

:cool:
Img_6886.jpg

Dean if you like that one, I think you are going to flip over a few of the others. Sneak peak here...

Attachments

• Img_7229.jpg
    Img_7229.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 166
I'll bet your garden in general is getting a lot more colorful. And what is good about Ti plants IMO - is that they all go together, no matter what color or shape - so can slip into the landscape just about anywhere.

:cool:

Attachments

• Img_7734.jpg
    Img_7734.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Img_7735.jpg
    Img_7735.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Img_7736.jpg
    Img_7736.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Img_7737.jpg
    Img_7737.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 169
Here is a seedling from Jackie that has shown twirls to the leaf tips that has finally shown some color.
Img_8106.jpg
Img_8108.jpg
Img_8113.jpg

I do have a few white and green Ti in my collection, but nothing like this Hawaiian Boy seedling.
Img_8202.jpg
Img_8203.jpg

Thanks Ken, but I will set the record straight. Not all look great as a great number of seedlings are not photo worthy. The funny thing that I have noticed is that a lot of the seedlings that had shown color when very small ended up not much to look at a couple years later. What I need to do now is start throwing out the no thrill looking plants. I just keep giving them one more chance and every now and then I see a sign of potential.
Spray the leaves of the seedlings that have lost color with a high potassium solution. The hydroponics stores have one formula that is used on marijuana plants that will cause them to change their leaf color from green to purplish. It is based on potassium. This experiment might be worth a shot.

Spray the leaves of the seedlings that have lost color with a high potassium solution. The hydroponics stores have one formula that is used on marijuana plants that will cause them to change their leaf color from green to purplish. It is based on potassium. This experiment might be worth a shot.
Sounds like another experiment to see what happens. I have noticed that the seedlings really color up after planting them in the ground. I still have a dozen or so 3 yr old seedlings in pots that I was going to toss. I decided the other day to plant them and see if they change. Here is a seedling from Hawaiian Boy that I almost tossed back in the summer. I stuck it in the ground and gave it some seaweed solution. I also have one that has a nice gold color leaf, but it looks like it is one of those that hate cooler weather.
Img_8315.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, Here is a photo of the golden color plant. Any suggestions to help it? It was looking good until the cooler temps came in Nov. The plant is spotted now and lost the spear leaf. I like the gloss look to the leaf of this one also.
Img_8349.jpg

Scott - I'm not so sure that is strictly cool weather related. What kind of temps have you been experiencing?
Dean, It is easy just to blame it on the cool weather. For the record the season has been on the warmer side with a few colder dips. The lowest this season came last week with a 38f. The avg since Nov according to my weather station is a 74F high and 59f low. Highest temp in this period was 85f. The rollercoaster temps will continue for a few more weeks to come. The rains have also been nice also this winter.

Last edited:
Your picture does seem to show cold damage. I have some sensitive ones that seem to do the same thing every winter. Next winter you might try upping the postassium levels as high as you can on this plant. A friend that worked at Monrovia Nursery (a large wholesale nursery that supplies many states throughout the country) told me that they give heavy potassium to cold sensitive plants in the late fall which gives added cold protection to them. I think they did it to prevent frost damage, but it might work for the leaf decline you have with this plant. When it warms up enough to safely move the plant, move it next to the house where winter sun heats the walls. The reflected heat at night may be enough to counteract the temperatures that are causing the leaf damage.

Ken, I will relocate that plant in the spring. I just crammed the seedlings into a growing bed until I could see what the had to offer. The location is not great this time of year as the north winds blow thru bad and very little sun in winter here.

The last time I really looked at this Xerox seedling it did not register with me as anything special. It has changed a bit as it has grown and the once narrow leaves look to be more of a juno type. The brown color tones I also like now. I will keep a close eye on this one now.
Img_8705.jpg
Img_8707.jpg
Img_8714.jpg

Here are a couple seedlings from Sensation that I will watch closely this year.
Img_8744.jpg
Img_8743.jpg

Scott, these seedlings really are spectacular and dramatically different from Kiwi. Do you pollinate these by hand or are they just naturally pollinated by the other cordylines in flower at the time? I wonder what the pollen parent was that produced them. I have about 60 cultivars and have another 20+ on the way from Hawaii. I have got to be sure that I am leaving the flowers on the plants. In the past I have probably cut off the flowers because I did not want to take energy away from the plant, but after seeing your seedlings I want to be sure I give my plants every opportunity to produce seed. I have finally started to get some seedlings from my crotons showing up in the gardens, but many get buried by surrounding plants before they start to take off. I will try to get some photos posted in the near future. Most of my cordylines have been cut way back to give cuttings to a few of the plant collectors I trade with, and they have been slow to push new growth with this cold weather so don't look very good at the moment.
Thanks, Karl

Karl, I let mother nature take care of the pollination. I have read that the offspring will look different from the parent. Here is a photo of a plant from Xerox seed. This one stood out from the bunch after its first year as I considered it the runt of the bunch.
Img_8764.jpg
IMG_8768.JPG

Karl, I let mother nature take care of the pollination. I have read that the offspring will look different from the parent. Here is a photo of a plant from Xerox seed. This one stood out from the bunch after its first year as I considered it the runt of the bunch. View attachment 30809 View attachment 30810
You have some really special seedlings. I know you had named Pink Floyd. Any plans on naming others and introducing them into the trade. They seem different enough from what is out there that it seems like there would be a good market for them. I still can't figure out why more nurseries in Florida don't specialize in both unusual cordylines and crotons. When you do start introducing them, put me on the waiting list, I will buy one of each. :)

Karl, I let mother nature take care of the pollination. I have read that the offspring will look different from the parent. Here is a photo of a plant from Xerox seed. This one stood out from the bunch after its first year as I considered it the runt of the bunch. View attachment 30809 View attachment 30810
You have some really special seedlings. I know you had named Pink Floyd. Any plans on naming others and introducing them into the trade. They seem different enough from what is out there that it seems like there would be a good market for them. I still can't figure out why more nurseries in Florida don't specialize in both unusual cordylines and crotons. When you do start introducing them, put me on the waiting list, I will buy one of each. :)

Karl, I do not want to stick a name on a plant until I have done a lot of research to see if is in fact different. I have stuck names on a few others, but that is mainly for my purpose of ID as I research. When and if I feel comfortable that it is different and not named I will post them here. Seedlings take time to develop but I enjoy watching them grow and change and be amazed when the show starts. Here is another 2 year old Xerox seedling that looked as it was going in the trash until this past fall. Colors are Xerox on this one but the leaf shape is unlike Xerox.
Img_8777.jpg
Img_8778.jpg

yup, the xerox out here don't have those pink/bright hues in the center and is mostly single colored. i'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of months but it breezed through the winter just fine

yup, the xerox out here don't have those pink/bright hues in the center and is mostly single colored. i'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of months but it breezed through the winter just fine
Kenny, I question if climate could have something to do with the color difference. I guess to answer that question you will need a Xerox from FL. I should be able to handle problem.

This one is growing on my likes somewhat. Not a colorful plant from a distance, but looks kind of cool close up. The new leaf color stands out.
Img_8980.jpg
Img_8981.jpg
Img_8982.jpg
Img_8990.jpg
Yes! it is a seedling from Kiwi.